• Show
Clear All
  • Markburn1
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by meadgrad02 View Post
    Is that a promotion...?
    Financially, yes.

Up to him in the next three years to make it a program promotion.

Comment

• Malastein
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I think USF could turn it around long term with the right person committed to building up the program. They have history, but it isn’t recent. Sounds like BYU already has a most probable candidate, so I will follow more closely who takes this job...
      The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• Radbooks
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
        I think USF could turn it around long term with the right person committed to building up the program. They have history, but it isn’t recent. Sounds like BYU already has a most probable candidate, so I will follow more closely who takes this job...
        Looks like it will be one of the assistants:

Rob Dauster
        ‏Verified account @RobDauster
        3h3 hours ago

Another source also added that if and when Smith leaves, associate head coach Todd Golden is expected to be promoted to head coach.
        “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• Zagceo
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Depends on where he lives really. San Francisco is only 7 miles by 7 miles.
          walked in SF lately?

Comment

• Malastein
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
            walked in SF lately?
            See my location in the upper right side of every post. I’ve been in SF for the better part of 13 years.
            The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

See my location in the upper right side of every post. I’ve been in SF for the better part of 13 years.
              To be honest...that doesn't really answer the question.

The last times I have been in San Francisco, we took the trollies as much as possible, walked very little. I admit to never having lived there.
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

I can understand why someone on a coach's salary would leave SF for Pullman especially if they have a family with kids in school …….

but Moraga is just a very special place to live....I have not been there for awhile but it is beautiful …. the blossoms must be out now that line the entry road....

I can understand why god is a gael and lives there...I cannot imagine Randy would leave...

Comment

• seacatfan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2014

Tough gig. Good luck to him. Not many coaches have found success there.

Comment

• hooter73
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme
                    Instead of having to step over hypodermic needle’s and human feces he now will have to step over cow patties.
                    Lol too true.

WSU is the better spot, but it will always be a stepping stone school to coach at.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                      Washington State in negotiations with San Francisco coach Kyle Smith, sources confirmed to @Stadium.

Per Jeff Goodman on Twitter
                      That is a tough break for USF and for the WCC.
                      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by meadgrad02 View Post
                        Is that a promotion...?
                        It certainly is......and it won't be his last stop.

Comment

• Zagger
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          Makes us having Few/Tommy all that more special. They stuck around to build rather than to bolt. It was a sad day when Bennett left Wazzu. If Smith does go to Wazzu I wish him well AND hope he stays.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            I don't know, Jazz.

He likely could have gotten a raise out of USF to stay. He's building something nice there, likely could get to the tournament over the next couple years. In terms of where the basketball programs sit right now, his is on much better footing.

More importantly, in my mind, had he stayed 2-3 more years and really developed that team, made a tourney, he would have had another level of program open up, of the type that you're likely referring to in it not being his "last stop."

And USF isn't a bad place to be in those intervening years.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                              I don't know, Jazz.

He likely could have gotten a raise out of USF to stay. He's building something nice there, likely could get to the tournament over the next couple years. In terms of where the basketball programs sit right now, his is on much better footing.

More importantly, in my mind, had he stayed 2-3 more years and really developed that team, made a tourney, he would have had another level of program open up, of the type that you're likely referring to in it not being his "last stop."

And USF isn't a bad place to be in those intervening years.
                              Multi-level jumping is hard unless your name is Hurley or you're a former great player. He topped out at USF this year, IMO. And apparently in his as well. Baby steps up the ladder, KS is making all the right moves. Making the tourney in the WCC? C'mon, there's a 600 pound gorilla in your path; and a formidable (and familiar to Kyle) 2nd banana.

Comment

• Zagger
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2008

More KS news:
                                The Washington State Cougars have found their man, up-and-coming University of San Francisco head coach Kyle Smith, hiring him to replace Ernie Kent on a six-year contract that will pay him $1.4 million annually.

Comment

Working...
                                X