Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 100

Thread: Kyle to Wazzu

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    Washington State in negotiations with San Francisco coach Kyle Smith, sources confirmed to @Stadium.

    Per Jeff Goodman on Twitter
    That is a tough break for USF and for the WCC.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meadgrad02 View Post
    Is that a promotion...?
    It certainly is......and it won't be his last stop.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It certainly is......and it won't be his last stop.
    Makes us having Few/Tommy all that more special. They stuck around to build rather than to bolt. It was a sad day when Bennett left Wazzu. If Smith does go to Wazzu I wish him well AND hope he stays.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It certainly is......and it won't be his last stop.
    I don't know, Jazz.

    He likely could have gotten a raise out of USF to stay. He's building something nice there, likely could get to the tournament over the next couple years. In terms of where the basketball programs sit right now, his is on much better footing.

    More importantly, in my mind, had he stayed 2-3 more years and really developed that team, made a tourney, he would have had another level of program open up, of the type that you're likely referring to in it not being his "last stop."

    And USF isn't a bad place to be in those intervening years.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I don't know, Jazz.

    He likely could have gotten a raise out of USF to stay. He's building something nice there, likely could get to the tournament over the next couple years. In terms of where the basketball programs sit right now, his is on much better footing.

    More importantly, in my mind, had he stayed 2-3 more years and really developed that team, made a tourney, he would have had another level of program open up, of the type that you're likely referring to in it not being his "last stop."

    And USF isn't a bad place to be in those intervening years.
    Multi-level jumping is hard unless your name is Hurley or you're a former great player. He topped out at USF this year, IMO. And apparently in his as well. Baby steps up the ladder, KS is making all the right moves. Making the tourney in the WCC? C'mon, there's a 600 pound gorilla in your path; and a formidable (and familiar to Kyle) 2nd banana.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,305

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    By the way, what happened to the Dons Centeal board?

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Too bad. Don't like seeing the WCC losing good coaches. Not good for the conference.
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Multi-level jumping is hard unless your name is Hurley or you're a former great player. He topped out at USF this year, IMO. And apparently in his as well. Baby steps up the ladder, KS is making all the right moves. Making the tourney in the WCC? C'mon, there's a 600 pound gorilla in your path; and a formidable (and familiar to Kyle) 2nd banana.
    I think the WCC should see itself as a 2 big league minimum every year. I suspect it works out that way, on average, 2 bids per year? Yes, he has SMC across the Bay.

    I guess I just don't like seeing him leave. But I also don't see why you think WSU at this point in time is the right "next rung" on that ladder. A lot of pretty good coaches have wallowed there.

    I am biased, I don't like him leaving. I think Rose had lost his mojo and that BYU just has way too much going for it to continue to lose 12 games a year. So I think they will get a bump with new energy. I don't know anything about USF and the top assistant, perhaps they're trying to "Zag it" and continue building from within. I hope it works. SMC I have tremendous fear for if Randy leaves and takes the Cal job, which would likely be perfect for him.

    If Bennett leaves, SMC has done nothing in its rise with him to sustain itself, no big upgrades in anything at all. USF at least seems to have a long-term plan, same as SCU.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I think the WCC should see itself as a 2 big league minimum every year. I suspect it works out that way, on average, 2 bids per year? Yes, he has SMC across the Bay.

    I guess I just don't like seeing him leave. But I also don't see why you think WSU at this point in time is the right "next rung" on that ladder. A lot of pretty good coaches have wallowed there.

    I am biased, I don't like him leaving. I think Rose had lost his mojo and that BYU just has way too much going for it to continue to lose 12 games a year. So I think they will get a bump with new energy. I don't know anything about USF and the top assistant, perhaps they're trying to "Zag it" and continue building from within. I hope it works. SMC I have tremendous fear for if Randy leaves and takes the Cal job, which would likely be perfect for him.

    If Bennett leaves, SMC has done nothing in its rise with him to sustain itself, no big upgrades in anything at all. USF at least seems to have a long-term plan, same as SCU.
    Dix, u realize you're arguing both sides of the same coin, right? Opportunity trumps all.......Few is the outlier. The WCC would be a 2-bid league in off years for the Zags. Careful what you wish for.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,073

    Default

    WCC is not Pac12....Bennett launched from Pullman why can’t Kyle?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Dix, u realize you're arguing both sides of the same coin, right? Opportunity trumps all.......Few is the outlier. The WCC would be a 2-bid league in off years for the Zags. Careful what you wish for.
    Yes. I do, as I admitted, I don't like seeing him leave.

    BUT, I also think the USF job wasn't a bad job at all, at any point. Yes, Few is the outlier. OTOH, the one thing the WCC really does have going for it is the destinations aren't bad at all. If you wanted to settle in and develop a program like Few did, well, USF isn't a bad place, nor is SMC, SCU, LMU, USD or Portland. All great places to live, recruit, etc.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,331

    Default

    Such a step down for Smith on a quality level, probably good financially though. Lets take a more critical look at Bennett too... He took over what his dad built, saw that WSU was never going to be what he wanted it to be and went to greener pastures.

    JMHO Smith wants a P5 job... any P5 job... to add to his resume so he can get a bigger P5 job.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    WCC is not Pac12....Bennett launched from Pullman why can’t Kyle?
    Kelvin Sampson too, when he took the job at Oklahoma on his first ascension before the stumble at Indiana.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    179

    Default

    No way Bennett goes to the dumpster fire that is Cal. It is in no way "perfect" for him. He did a courtesy interview for the job last time and wanted nothing to do with it. There's nothing about that environment that appeals to him. He's been pretty clear about that for over a decade now. Everyone has their price - I'm not naive to that - but he's turned down more money to stay at SMC before, and Cal is a financial mess. They can't throw enough money at him right now to convince him to give up the comfort and control he has at SMC. They're still going to be paying Wyking for another few years. It's a mess over there. No way.

    Todd Golden, the USF assistant they're talking about to replace Smith, played for St. Mary's under Bennett around a decade ago. He's a little green to be getting a head coaching job in D1 (he's 27 and has only been an assistant 2 or 3 years) but he's no stranger to the WCC. Another branch of the Bennett tree.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Financially better and lower taxes.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I can understand why someone on a coach's salary would leave SF for Pullman especially if they have a family with kids in school …….

    but Moraga is just a very special place to live....I have not been there for awhile but it is beautiful …. the blossoms must be out now that line the entry road....

    I can understand why god is a gael and lives there...I cannot imagine Randy would leave...
    I tend to agree - Randy would have to get a pretty great offer to leave.

    I'm sorry to see Kyle go, he did good work with USF, which can only serve to elevate the WCC.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,092

    Default

    Terrible news for the league. Kyle is the best coach the league has had since Few and Bennett. Just when I thought USF was getting it going again with a new AD, a remodeled gym and a new bright coach......

    Like others, I feel this job could be a stepping stone job for Smith. Just like Tony Bennett. I think Kyle is that good of a head basketball coach.

    On the other hand, this is a home run hire for the Cougs. They couldn't have gotten a better coach..

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Terrible news for the league. Kyle is the best coach the league has had since Few and Bennett. Just when I thought USF was getting it going again with a new AD, a remodeled gym and a new bright coach......

    Like others, I feel this job could be a stepping stone job for Smith. Just like Tony Bennett. I think Kyle is that good of a head basketball coach.

    On the other hand, this is a home run hire for the Cougs. They couldn't have gotten a better coach..
    But can he recruit to Pullman? SF has a bit more draw than Pullman area.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    But can he recruit to Pullman? SF has a bit more draw than Pullman area.
    It's not like Kyle was getting a bunch of Pac12 level recruits to USF. I keep reading all this negativity about WSU but here are the positives. The facilities at WSU are far superior to USF even if they are on the lower end of the P12. He will make significantly more at WSU than at USF. He will be able to access a higher level of recruit than he has previously even if it's not your top tier guys nationally.

    Additionally, WSU has a school president and an AD that will pay to keep a successful coach..see Leach ($4M a year). Back when Bennett left WSU, it wasn't a slam dunk decision for him. Go back and read the story on when he left. He basically had no choice as the inept WSU president refused to pay even close to fair value for Tony and they also had actually CUT funding to the program. They wouldn't even allow the staff to have limited charters for recruiting and wouldn't pay for the staff to attend the Final Four which is standard practice at the P6 level. With all that, he actually turned down the job once and was on the phone to turn it down again when his wife told him to take a step back and think.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    But can he recruit to Pullman? SF has a bit more draw than Pullman area.
    Still? When your city has an ap to alert you where all of the human feces hotspots are, it may be time to do a little self reflecting.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    By the way, what happened to the Dons Centeal board?
    My understanding is that due to the fellow who ran it, everyone jumped ship. They're now on reddit:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/usfdons/

    It's not super-active, but at least it isn't toxic like the old site.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,812

    Default

    KS is not money driven. Trust me on that. He's aspirational. He's spent a decade at 2 high end academic programs in metro areas. A brief sojourn at a P5 in the woods -- literally and figuratively -- would set him up nicely for the next spot. If he gets the Cougs in the tourney in 3 years, I can see him moving to a high end academic P5 along the lines of Wake, G Tech, Vandy, even Our Lady.....dem type schools. His ace in the hole is his academic experience. I don't get what folks here don't get.

    PS: Luckily, the idiots at USD passed over Kyle to hire Lamont. How'd that work out? Lamont is more likely to see the inside of a jail before he sees his next coaching box.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,073

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Still? When your city has an ap to alert you where all of the human feces hotspots are, it may be time to do a little self reflecting.
    San Francisco is one of the most wonderful cities on Earth in which to live. I also like Pullman.

    Please just stop.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •