Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kyle to Wazzu

Default Next Coach to leave for a P5 school?

Washington State in negotiations with San Francisco coach Kyle Smith, sources confirmed to @Stadium.

Per Jeff Goodman on Twitter
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Default Kyle to Wazzu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And taking his checkbook to Pullman. . .fair trade.

In 2014, Ernie Kent earned $1.05 MM

http://data.spokesman.com/salaries/state/2015/

Much better chance to win a league there than at USF. Will he take Frankie with him? Great move. Though Cal a better and more appropriate fit. Academics. Next domino maybe RB?

Next domino maybe RB?
    Maybe you could tell us?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I could, Dix. But then I’d hafta kill ya.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Maybe you could tell us?

I could, Dix. But then I’d hafta kill ya.
    Lemme see what happens Thursday, first.

I think Cal would be a great move for Randy, the program about where SMC was when he took over there, low expectations even in "great" years, probably the best mix of "great institution" and "realistic place for athletics" and ….my other alma, so I think it would be great for Randy.

And devastating for the WCC. Losing Bennett and Kyle the same year would be a real hit to the conference. We would only appreciate Randy in hindsight, as SMC will quickly go back to irrelevance, I fear.

Not positive Kyle is making a great move, though. USF could've been a good spot to hang out for an even bigger step up.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Good idea. Beat FSU!!!

PS. Also losing Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Lemme see what happens Thursday, first.

I think Cal would be a great move for Randy, the program about where SMC was when he took over there, low expectations even in "great" years, probably the best mix of "great institution" and "realistic place for athletics" and ….my other alma, so I think it would be great for Randy.

And devastating for the WCC. Losing Bennett and Kyle the same year would be a real hit to the conference. We would only appreciate Randy in hindsight, as SMC will quickly go back to irrelevance, I fear.

Not positive Kyle is making a great move, though. USF could've been a good spot to hang out for an even bigger step up.

This sucks for the WCC. He was one of the better young coaches in the league, and USF seems more interested in building up their program now more than ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    This sucks for the WCC. He was one of the better young coaches in the league, and USF seems more interested in building up their program now more than ever...
    Agree- not good for the WCC. Maybe GU could help USF with his $alary.

Much better chance to win a league there than at USF. Will he take Frankie with him? Great move. Though Cal a better and more appropriate fit. Academics. Next domino maybe RB?
    Winning the league anywhere in the WCC is tough sledding anyplace not named Gonzaga. Finishing in the top half of the conference is a tall order in Pullman.

People dump on WSU for some reason. I don't know why. WSU's football program has had recent national success. The university itself is on par academically with other state universities in the SEC, ACC, Big 12. No reason why it can't be a long term deal for a coach who appreciates and wants to raise a family in the Inland Northwest.

Plus, no state income tax and low cost of living.

Edit, final thought: he could hang out at USF for another 2-4 years. But if his goal is to climb the coaching ladder and cash out, if he has success under his first contract with WSU and earns a bid or two in the next 3-5 years, he's in an even better position: long term money with WSU or go somewhere else.

Much easier to walk to work in Pullman. Good for Kyle.

Is that a promotion...?
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift..."

--Steve Prefontaine--

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Much easier to walk to work in Pullman. Good for Kyle.
    Depends on where he lives really. San Francisco is only 7 miles by 7 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by meadgrad02 View Post
    Is that a promotion...?
    Financially, yes.

Up to him in the next three years to make it a program promotion.

I think USF could turn it around long term with the right person committed to building up the program. They have history, but it isn’t recent. Sounds like BYU already has a most probable candidate, so I will follow more closely who takes this job...

I think USF could turn it around long term with the right person committed to building up the program. They have history, but it isn’t recent. Sounds like BYU already has a most probable candidate, so I will follow more closely who takes this job...
    Looks like it will be one of the assistants:

Rob Dauster
    ‏Verified account @RobDauster
    3h3 hours ago

Another source also added that if and when Smith leaves, associate head coach Todd Golden is expected to be promoted to head coach.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Depends on where he lives really. San Francisco is only 7 miles by 7 miles.
    walked in SF lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    walked in SF lately?
    See my location in the upper right side of every post. I’ve been in SF for the better part of 13 years.

See my location in the upper right side of every post. I’ve been in SF for the better part of 13 years.
    To be honest...that doesn't really answer the question.

The last times I have been in San Francisco, we took the trollies as much as possible, walked very little. I admit to never having lived there.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I can understand why someone on a coach's salary would leave SF for Pullman especially if they have a family with kids in school …….

but Moraga is just a very special place to live....I have not been there for awhile but it is beautiful …. the blossoms must be out now that line the entry road....

I can understand why god is a gael and lives there...I cannot imagine Randy would leave...

Tough gig. Good luck to him. Not many coaches have found success there.

Instead of having to step over hypodermic needle’s and human feces he now will have to step over cow patties.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Instead of having to step over hypodermic needle’s and human feces he now will have to step over cow patties.
    Lol too true.

WSU is the better spot, but it will always be a stepping stone school to coach at.