Thread: Movies so bad...

Default Movies so bad...

...they become good.

I'm going to start with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Skyscraper. The writing is so epically bad, not to mention just outright affronts to the laws of physics... that it becomes funny as hell.

Go!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Ooh, fun topic! In my younger days I did quite a bit of mountain climbing and rock climbing. The movie "Vertical Limit" centered around climbing. Like the first movie mentioned the script was so bad and all the details regarding the climbing were so unbelievably, ineptly wrong that my friends and I were laughing hysterically while watching it in a theater. It was not intended as a comedy. Everyone else around us must have thought we were crazy. Sly Stallone's climbing action/suspense movie "Cliffhanger" was pretty bad on the climbing details as well.

I'll have to check out Vertical Limit. Cliffhanger was another one that would qualify for this thread.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I'll have to check out Vertical Limit. Cliffhanger was another one that would qualify for this thread.
    I actually like Cliffhanger, it's an entertaining B grade movie. But that's not how climbing works. The bolt gun was hilarious. The equipment failure on the female climber's harness at the beginning of the movie was ludicrous. But Vertical Limit beats it by miles in terms of how ludicrous it was.

...they become good.

I'm going to start with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Skyscraper. The writing is so epically bad, not to mention just outright affronts to the laws of physics... that it becomes funny as hell.

Go!
    I liked that movie....

crossing across on that crane to the next building was exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by GPGUgrad View Post
    I liked that movie....

crossing across on that crane to the next building was exciting.
    Hey... not saying the eye-candy aspect of it was bad... but there is a ton of suspension of belief throughout the movie. The whole hall of mirrors thing was really cool too. My 20 yr old son just kept chuckling through the movie and saying "Come on! Really??'

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I actually like Cliffhanger, it's an entertaining B grade movie. But that's not how climbing works. The bolt gun was hilarious. The equipment failure on the female climber's harness at the beginning of the movie was ludicrous. But Vertical Limit beats it by miles in terms of how ludicrous it was.
    Oh I enjoyed Cliffhanger in much the same way as I did with Skyscraper.. probably not the way they expected it to be enjoyed.

"Sudden Death." It's a ridiculous "Die Hard" but instead of Christmas it's the even less frequent holiday...Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The mascot is a terrorist in disguise, Jean Claude van Damme subs in for goalie at one point. I think the helicopter scene (where they copy Hans Grubber's backwards fall...except with a helicopter) might be the reason the Civic Arena's roof stopped retracting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    "Sudden Death." It's a ridiculous "Die Hard" but instead of Christmas it's the even less frequent holiday...Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The mascot is a terrorist in disguise, Jean Claude van Damme subs in for goalie at one point. I think the helicopter scene (where they copy Hans Grubber's backwards fall...except with a helicopter) might be the reason the Civic Arena's roof stopped retracting properly.
    LOL... gotta check that one out too.

Woody Allen's " What's Up, Tiger Lily ?"

Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein."

Clint Eastwood's "Play Misty For Me."

Napoleon Dynamite the first time I watched it I thought this is a really bad movie. I have watched it 20 plus times now and it gets better every time I watch it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

I saw Cliffhanger on campus in the Hughes auditorium. The most ludicrous scene is the one where Stallone impales one of the bad guys through the chest on a stalactite overhead. The whole crowd was in a heckling mood. Everyone shouted out, “Aye-dre-unnn!!” in unison in a bad Rocky accent. It was as if that reaction was scripted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    Napoleon Dynamite the first time I watched it I thought this is a really bad movie. I have watched it 20 plus times now and it gets better every time I watch it.
    That was my experience as well... watching it tired and/or inebriated helps too

Speaking of "The Rock" - San Adreas was just as awful as they come, yet my daughter - who was 8 or 9 at the time I let her watch with me - and I loved it bc we got to establish a rule. She would continue to look at me hoping one of the "good guys" doesn't die, and I informed her "In bad movies, good guys never die!" and we started chanting it with each increasingly implausible scene.

Ended up being a fun night.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The whole tsunami thing was simply so stupid it became outrageously funny.

I kept saying to myself:

The whole tsunami thing was simply so stupid it became outrageously funny.

I kept saying to myself:

Agree.

But, by then, my daughter was really into the spirit of things! She was yelling at the boat as they motored out, "Good guys don't die!"
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Ah yes, San Andreas was pretty bad. Reminded me of another disaster flick that was quite laughable--The Day After Tomorrow.

I thought "Young Frankenstein" was considered a classic!

Rocky 4? I'm biased because I like that one more than the original. It certainly has the best soundtrack of the Rocky movies.

Snakes on a Plane. It's hilariously awful, and one should keep in mind that Sam Jackson almost backed out of the film because they wanted to change the name.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Ah yes, San Andreas was pretty bad. Reminded me of another disaster flick that was quite laughable--The Day After Tomorrow.
    Man... I do love watching that one... if only for the laugh-ability factor. I mean even Dennis Quaid kinda just mailed that puppy in.

Thought of another one. "Shoot 'Em Up" with Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. It was completely self aware and was totally trying to be ludicrously over the top. I think it's the only movie I've ever seen someone get killed with a carrot!

Thought of another one. "Shoot 'Em Up" with Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. It was completely self aware and was totally trying to be ludicrously over the top. I think it's the only movie I've ever seen someone get killed with a carrot!
    LOOOOOOVE that movie!

Default Mortal Kombat

This might be the worst movie I’ve ever seen in a theater. I caught it in the on-base theater with a bunch of other bored ROTC cadets during a break from some summer training.

The Honest Trailer is far more entertaining.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o_QBk4VwnIA

Guess I'm late to this thread:

Reno, I thought Young Franenstein was great; not quite Blazing Saddles great.

I'm no climber, but did stumble across Vertical Limits about a month ago. As a very OLD ex-athlete I must say how impressed I was that Chris O'Donnell still seemed to be able to tear right up the face of a cliff even though he had not climbed for what, 3 years (since he cut dad loose)?

Yoga?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Cut the rope. Any good climber would.

That still just kills me. It's exactly the last thing any climber would do. They even had famed NW climber Ed Viesturs on board as a technical adviser and he did a cameo in the film. But I have to assume they completely ignored everything he told them about the technical aspects of climbing. Which makes one wonder why they hired him as a technical adviser in the first place.