Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: How In-Touch Are Few/the Coaching Staff?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    592

    Default How In-Touch Are Few/the Coaching Staff?

    Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

    Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

    Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

    Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

    Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."
    GU does use the services of a couple of different data analytics services and has Riccardo Fois as basically a full-time data analyst. So the staff has access to analytics performed by full-time professionals. GU has been recognized as a leader in data analytics under Jerry Krause's tenure as Director of Operations.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

    Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

    Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."
    Just to be clear, your argument is that Fews awareness of bracket projections is synonymous to his awareness of in game strategy? These are not remotely similar areas of data. The former is meaningless for Few to know, the latter is essential.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,400

    Default

    Tommy is on record saying that the general public (i.e. fans) know about 5 percent of what's really going on. While he said this vis a vis recruiting .... I imagine there are other aspects where the staff knows a bit more than fans.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

    NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Please. Is this serious?

    Ever hear of a coach pumping up an opponent? Referring to the next team played as the best team ever assembled? Geez. Happens nearly 100% of the time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Please. Is this serious?

    Ever hear of a coach pumping up an opponent? Referring to the next team played as the best team ever assembled? Geez. Happens nearly 100% of the time.
    This
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

    Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

    Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."
    They had just been the runner up in the ACC tournament, which wouldn't have known the final score until Sat night the day before the brackets came out.

    Few might've only been saying he thought the committee would reward them more for beating Virginia and getting to the ACC final. I don't see it as that "out there."

    He's also pumping up an opponent, old-school coach-speak; "They're so good we will just have to play our absolute best …" cliché stuff. And Few is selfless and nice to a fault. He's probably noted 32 teams as having "Elite 8 talent."

    I don't see this as reflecting what he knows or doesn't know. Seems to me he knows that they got the short end of the stick in getting Florida State as the Four seed. Who would you rather face, Virginia Tech (four seed) or Florida State?

    I suspect that was far more along the lines of what Few was getting at.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    I want my 5 minutes back!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I want my 5 minutes back!
    Doc,

    Are you referring to that "5 minutes of fame" you had...lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

    Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

    Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."
    Huh? Every coach will talks up their opponents to keep their own team sharp. My guess is that Few and staff really don't pay attention to Bracket matrix and bracketology, they would have no need to play a game that is more for fans game than a coach's as it does not really help win games. But then to deduce that it proves fan's perspective on actual basketball (not fan stuff like bracketology) is equal to the coach Few's ... well everyone entitled to their opinion but like the majority of bracketologists, not congruent with reality. Now on the advanced stats on late-game situations, we have proof that Coach Few pays attention and implements them. He once was a supporter of not fouling when your team is up by 3 and the other team has the ball in the last 15 seconds. He saw the advance stats and changed his strategy and now fouls.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    There are 12 teams left that would shock no one if they won the title. FSU is one of them.

    There are three teams in the field with historically great metrics and would be considered a singular favorite in any other season.

    The field is very top heavy and very, very good.
    I miss Mike Hart

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

    Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

    Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."
    A few points; most have been made by others.

    1) Coaches talk up opponents all the time. Saying he thought FSU would be on the 2 line is a minor bump.

    2) Knowing/predicting NCAA seeds has absolutely zero to do with pre-game or in-game strategy. A coach prepares their team to play another "team". They don't prepare for a "seed" or care what seed they are playing. You're preparing for a unique team, lineup, and the resulting matchup/strategy issues.

    3) There are some in-game strategy benefits to knowing analytics, but for the most part the skill sets of KenPom, Sagarin, etc. or anyone else that is a brackets/rankings expert have nothing to do with basketball coaching skills. I don't want Mark Few to spend a single extra minute on Bracket Matrix versus watching game tape.

    I do agree with you that coaches in all sports could benefit from incorporating analytics into strategy, particularly late game strategy. I think it's more clear in football, but applies in basketball too. I don't see Few's comment as any indication of Gonzaga using or not using analytics/data analysis. I guess I agree with the general point that there are analytic tools that can help coaches with in and out-of-game strategy. I don't see Few's comment on FSU's seeding as being related to this though.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy (20 mi N of GU)
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    It’s apply called March Madness
    I think one can ignore a lot of the matrix/stats this time of year. What mostly counts on Few’s end is real time decision making during a game. I have to think Few has learned bunches this year + knows his team VERY well - to a player. I have a huge amount of confidence in both Few and the guys to adjust as needed - here on out this season.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    We have a better team this year. I think we can win this FSU game if Rui returns and Norvell will take better and more thoughtful shots. Both need help on defense …..I hope Few drills it into their heads! Defense or we end the season. Nothing more be said.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Wow, this was certainly a strong response! And fair enough about the "pumping up your opponents" idea; maybe it's that simple, and that I read too much into it.

    I'd like someone to explain this, though: How is it that NFL teams worth billion with a B dollars (and with probably 10 or 20 times the resources of college basketball teams) routinely do things like punt on 4th and 1 from the 50 yard line? Despite copious and overwhelmingly clear data that suggests it's a bad idea?

    I'm only making the point that it's possible that we fans have a different insight, or better perspective, or however you want to put it, on this kind of thing.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,794

    Default

    Geez this silly thread needs to go away...please.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,942

    Default

    JMHO, seems a bit silly to think the coach/coaching staff that has won over 80% their games and won 30+ games this season is out of touch. Maybe it is just me.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,751

    Default

    Just imagine how good Few's winning percentage would be if he knew anything about bracketology!
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Geez this silly thread needs to go away...please.
    Pretty much. Agree!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Geez this silly thread needs to go away...please.
    Zagceo thought this view was worth discussing. It had some legs and some others found it worth reading. Personally I almost never think I see something our coaching staff missed. Your opinion is this thread wasn't worth reading. So don't read it. If you disagree give your reason. It is a put-down to advocate the thread be abolished. This is the kind of communication I see on a lot of other message boards but not too much here.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Zagceo thought this view was worth discussing. It had some legs and some others found it worth reading. Personally I almost never think I see something our coaching staff missed. Your opinion is this thread wasn't worth reading. So don't read it. If you disagree give your reason. It is a put-down to advocate the thread be abolished. This is the kind of communication I see on a lot of other message boards but not too much here.
    read the responses again....most are dismissive.

    Its silly logic. Mark Few is wrong about FSU #2 seed therefore can't rely on Mark Few

    have the last word....PLEASE

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,656

    Default

    FSU has beaten Virginia, Purdue, LSU, Virginia Tech (twice), Louisville, and Florida this year. That seems to be as good a resume as any team on the 2 line.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    FSU has beaten Virginia, Purdue, LSU, Virginia Tech (twice), Louisville, and Florida this year. That seems to be as good a resume as any team on the 2 line.
    Also lost to Boston College and Pittsburgh. That’s worse than anyone on the 2 or 3 line
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

    12 Straight Round of 32s

    11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    2021 Undefeated Regular Season

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Also lost to Boston College and Pittsburgh. That’s worse than anyone on the 2 or 3 line
    Yeah, but not lately.

    They are really good.

    I think most agree that they are really good.

    This is going to be a real battle.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •