Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How In-Touch Are Few/the Coaching Staff?

Default How In-Touch Are Few/the Coaching Staff?

Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Saturday night's press conference, where Mark Few said he thought Florida St. would "end up on the 2-line" got me thinking, because exactly zero projected brackets had FSU as a 2-seed: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Now, they were projected as a 3, so perhaps he's not wrong that they were underseeded, and Few being one seed off is hardly a major error. But my hunch is that there are so, so, so many tools and data (like Bracket Matrix) that many FANS are aware of that the coaching staff simply doesn't know about, or pay proper attention to — particularly when it comes to late-game strategy, benching players with 2 fouls, etc.

Just a thought for the next time someone tries to have the last word in an argument by saying, "Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you."
    GU does use the services of a couple of different data analytics services and has Riccardo Fois as basically a full-time data analyst. So the staff has access to analytics performed by full-time professionals. GU has been recognized as a leader in data analytics under Jerry Krause's tenure as Director of Operations.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Just to be clear, your argument is that Fews awareness of bracket projections is synonymous to his awareness of in game strategy? These are not remotely similar areas of data. The former is meaningless for Few to know, the latter is essential.

Tommy is on record saying that the general public (i.e. fans) know about 5 percent of what's really going on. While he said this vis a vis recruiting .... I imagine there are other aspects where the staff knows a bit more than fans.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Please. Is this serious?

Ever hear of a coach pumping up an opponent? Referring to the next team played as the best team ever assembled? Geez. Happens nearly 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Please. Is this serious?

Ever hear of a coach pumping up an opponent? Referring to the next team played as the best team ever assembled? Geez. Happens nearly 100% of the time.
    This
    I am working on being a more all around square.

They had just been the runner up in the ACC tournament, which wouldn't have known the final score until Sat night the day before the brackets came out.

Few might've only been saying he thought the committee would reward them more for beating Virginia and getting to the ACC final. I don't see it as that "out there."

He's also pumping up an opponent, old-school coach-speak; "They're so good we will just have to play our absolute best …" cliché stuff. And Few is selfless and nice to a fault. He's probably noted 32 teams as having "Elite 8 talent."

I don't see this as reflecting what he knows or doesn't know. Seems to me he knows that they got the short end of the stick in getting Florida State as the Four seed. Who would you rather face, Virginia Tech (four seed) or Florida State?

I suspect that was far more along the lines of what Few was getting at.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I want my 5 minutes back!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I want my 5 minutes back!
    Doc,

Are you referring to that "5 minutes of fame" you had...lol

Huh? Every coach will talks up their opponents to keep their own team sharp. My guess is that Few and staff really don't pay attention to Bracket matrix and bracketology, they would have no need to play a game that is more for fans game than a coach's as it does not really help win games. But then to deduce that it proves fan's perspective on actual basketball (not fan stuff like bracketology) is equal to the coach Few's ... well everyone entitled to their opinion but like the majority of bracketologists, not congruent with reality. Now on the advanced stats on late-game situations, we have proof that Coach Few pays attention and implements them. He once was a supporter of not fouling when your team is up by 3 and the other team has the ball in the last 15 seconds. He saw the advance stats and changed his strategy and now fouls.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

There are 12 teams left that would shock no one if they won the title. FSU is one of them.

There are three teams in the field with historically great metrics and would be considered a singular favorite in any other season.

The field is very top heavy and very, very good.
    I miss Mike Hart

Umm, I think the coaching staff knows better than you.

A few points; most have been made by others.

1) Coaches talk up opponents all the time. Saying he thought FSU would be on the 2 line is a minor bump.

2) Knowing/predicting NCAA seeds has absolutely zero to do with pre-game or in-game strategy. A coach prepares their team to play another "team". They don't prepare for a "seed" or care what seed they are playing. You're preparing for a unique team, lineup, and the resulting matchup/strategy issues.

3) There are some in-game strategy benefits to knowing analytics, but for the most part the skill sets of KenPom, Sagarin, etc. or anyone else that is a brackets/rankings expert have nothing to do with basketball coaching skills. I don't want Mark Few to spend a single extra minute on Bracket Matrix versus watching game tape.

I do agree with you that coaches in all sports could benefit from incorporating analytics into strategy, particularly late game strategy. I think it's more clear in football, but applies in basketball too. I don't see Few's comment as any indication of Gonzaga using or not using analytics/data analysis. I guess I agree with the general point that there are analytic tools that can help coaches with in and out-of-game strategy. I don't see Few's comment on FSU's seeding as being related to this though.

It’s apply called March Madness
    I think one can ignore a lot of the matrix/stats this time of year. What mostly counts on Few’s end is real time decision making during a game. I have to think Few has learned bunches this year + knows his team VERY well - to a player. I have a huge amount of confidence in both Few and the guys to adjust as needed - here on out this season.

We have a better team this year. I think we can win this FSU game if Rui returns and Norvell will take better and more thoughtful shots. Both need help on defense …..I hope Few drills it into their heads! Defense or we end the season. Nothing more be said.

Wow, this was certainly a strong response! And fair enough about the "pumping up your opponents" idea; maybe it's that simple, and that I read too much into it.

I'd like someone to explain this, though: How is it that NFL teams worth billion with a B dollars (and with probably 10 or 20 times the resources of college basketball teams) routinely do things like punt on 4th and 1 from the 50 yard line? Despite copious and overwhelmingly clear data that suggests it's a bad idea?

I'm only making the point that it's possible that we fans have a different insight, or better perspective, or however you want to put it, on this kind of thing.

Geez this silly thread needs to go away...please.

JMHO, seems a bit silly to think the coach/coaching staff that has won over 80% their games and won 30+ games this season is out of touch. Maybe it is just me.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Just imagine how good Few's winning percentage would be if he knew anything about bracketology!
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Pretty much. Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Zagceo thought this view was worth discussing. It had some legs and some others found it worth reading. Personally I almost never think I see something our coaching staff missed. Your opinion is this thread wasn't worth reading. So don't read it. If you disagree give your reason. It is a put-down to advocate the thread be abolished. This is the kind of communication I see on a lot of other message boards but not too much here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Zagceo thought this view was worth discussing. It had some legs and some others found it worth reading. Personally I almost never think I see something our coaching staff missed. Your opinion is this thread wasn't worth reading. So don't read it. If you disagree give your reason. It is a put-down to advocate the thread be abolished. This is the kind of communication I see on a lot of other message boards but not too much here.
    read the responses again....most are dismissive.

Its silly logic. Mark Few is wrong about FSU #2 seed therefore can't rely on Mark Few

have the last word....PLEASE

FSU has beaten Virginia, Purdue, LSU, Virginia Tech (twice), Louisville, and Florida this year. That seems to be as good a resume as any team on the 2 line.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    FSU has beaten Virginia, Purdue, LSU, Virginia Tech (twice), Louisville, and Florida this year. That seems to be as good a resume as any team on the 2 line.
    Also lost to Boston College and Pittsburgh. That’s worse than anyone on the 2 or 3 line
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Also lost to Boston College and Pittsburgh. That’s worse than anyone on the 2 or 3 line
    Yeah, but not lately.

They are really good.

I think most agree that they are really good.

This is going to be a real battle.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.