O.T. Why don’t we have rotating/retired mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

O.T. Why don’t we have rotating/retired mods?

So let me preface my comments by stating that generally speaking our moderators do a great job here policing everybody especially spazzy posters such as myself. That being said I post on several message boards and most of them have moderators that are for a designated period of time and even say “retired mod“ underneath their name. The reason is is an extremely demanding, stressful and thankless position that is also unpaid. Recently a particular moderator here has been extremely short tempered, snippy and combative with several posters and it makes for a very uncomfortable board. May I suggest that the next time that all of the moderators get together that they entertain the idea of rotating and/or adding new moderators. I know Caldwellzag was added to the whelping box recently and he has been phenomenal. It’s a position that I would never want or wish on my worst enemy and believe me no one with an ounce of Intelligence would want me as a moderator either. But I think for everyones sake the higher ups on this board should entertain the idea of either adding or retiring some moderators. It’s been the same people forever and that can lead to too much corruptible power. I think it’s time for a change. Just my two cents. Thank you
  • Zags11
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

I think they do as good as possible. Its tiring with people crying and complaining like we all do. Then people name call vs each other. I used to do this.

Do mods have favorites? Of course. I got warned and banned for 24 hrs because a mod favorite and i were doing same thing and he didnt but i got banned.

However i think they do a awesome job and i wouldnt want to babysit grown ups.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
      I think they do as good as possible. Its tiring with people crying and complaining like we all do. Then people name call vs each other. I used to do this.

Do mods have favorites? Of course. I got warned and banned for 24 hrs because a mod favorite and i were doing same thing and he didnt but i got banned.

However i think they do a awesome job and i wouldnt want to babysit grown ups.
      I agree with everything that you just wrote. That’s why they should rotate. It’s too much to ask for the same people to do the same thing over and over and over. Eventually it catches up to them as is evidenced by the recent posts of one particular moderator. It’s just common sense and that’s why so many boards are doing it. Plus, as I mentioned in my OP, if only a select few people are doing it forever it does lead to too much power, just like politicians. I believe in term limits for politicians and board moderators. LOL

Comment

• Zags11
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
        I agree with everything that you just wrote. That’s why they should rotate. It’s too much to ask for the same people to do the same thing over and over and over. Eventually it catches up to them as is evidenced by the recent posts of one particular moderator. It’s just common sense and that’s why so many boards are doing it. Plus, as I mentioned in my OP, if only a select few people are doing it forever it does lead to too much power, just like politicians. I believe in term limits for politicians and board moderators. LOL
        I see your point especially if a mod hates you. And trust me some mods hate posters. Why? You may not fit their style or they dont like what you write.

Example?
        I got banned forever at mariners reddit. Whatd i do? I said nick vincent sucked and wasnt good. Thats it. Mod and i didnt agree on baseball talk and then when i said that he banned me. Lol

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
          I see your point especially if a mod hates you. And trust me some mods hate posters. Why? You may not fit their style or they dont like what you write.

Example?
          I got banned forever at mariners reddit. Whatd i do? I said nick vincent sucked and wasnt good. Thats it. Mod and i didnt agree on baseball talk and then when i said that he banned me. Lol
          The fact that it is obvious that moderators show bias or favoritism towards certain posters only validates my point that they should rotate and/or retire. Plus look where this thread was just banished to. LOL

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

The fact that it is obvious that moderators show bias or favoritism towards certain posters only validates my point that they should rotate and/or retire. Plus look where this thread was just banished to. LOL
            It wasn't banished. It was redirected to the proper forum. You're suggesting changes and the best place for the Spokesman Review administrators to see such a discussion will be the Forum Support "forum." If it was banished, why did the moderator leave a permanent re-direct ??

Have a fine day
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I'm sure all of this will be handled in the Mueller Report.
              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                • Feb 2007

I retired. Still waiting to receive my pension.
                You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Robzagnut
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

It doesn't surprise me that the OP suggested this.

It ain't broke, don't need to be fixed.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                    • Feb 2007

BTW you don't see half the stuff we have to deal with. I don't play favorites and I am the last person that would ban someone. For ME... even with bannable offenses I prefer to opt towards warnings than bans. Outside of being mods, we are human beings, we do have opinions and are just as free to express them here just like anyone else. I guess my question would be this... is it that you think a mod cannot disagree with anyone on the board?

To finish, for the record, there is nobody on this board that I WOULDN'T sit down and have a beer with. Jazz and I have differences... I'd still hang out with him in a heartbeat. Same with you spy or anyone else.
                    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                      BTW you don't see half the stuff we have to deal with. I don't play favorites and I am the last person that would ban someone. For ME... even with bannable offenses I prefer to opt towards warnings than bans. Outside of being mods, we are human beings, we do have opinions and are just as free to express them here just like anyone else. I guess my question would be this... is it that you think a mod cannot disagree with anyone on the board?

To finish, for the record, there is nobody on this board that I WOULDN'T sit down and have a beer with. Jazz and I have differences... I'd still hang out with him in a heartbeat. Same with you spy or anyone else.
                      I agree with everything that you wrote. I just think for your sanity and those that participate on this board, it makes practical sense to retire/rotate periodically. You've been doing this too long, it may be time to hang 'em up and just espouse your opinion without the extra burden of being a mod. At least give it some thought.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                        You did, that's right. Do you regret it, or are you glad?

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                          • Feb 2007

You did, that's right. Do you regret it, or are you glad?
                          There are very specific reasons why he did. As for me... no real plans to hang them up and honestly don’t see what being a mod has to do with my having an opinion. Don’t worry though that day may come and I am sure you will be happy when it does.

if you are ever on Long Island I’ll buy ya a beer or three
                          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                            Our man in the Caymans said he had your back. Those weasels in HR can never be trusted. . .too many pivot tables and not enough picnic tables.
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                              There are very specific reasons why he did. As for me... no real plans to hang them up and honestly don’t see what being a mod has to do with my having an opinion. Don’t worry though that day may come and I am sure you will be happy when it does.

if you are ever on Long Island I’ll buy ya a beer or three
                              I didn't mean you specifically, I meant all of you. I wouldn't for a million dollars want to put up with an obnoxious spaz like me. My best bud is from Huntington.

Comment

Working...
                              X