Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Florida St. What are your thoughts and feelings about this upcoming game

Default Gonzaga vs Florida St. What are your thoughts and feelings about this upcoming game

There are so many threads with Florida St being the topic, I thought it would be neat if we try to put all of our thoughts, feelings into one thread. We have five days left before the game, and maybe by then we'll all feel better and more confident in our ability to handle Florida St. I considered writing a post on the Thread about Please help me from keeping myself from jumping off the cliff. BUT that kind of thinking is just so negative and filled with fear. So I thought about starting a different kind of thread with different kind of thinking, not based on fear. Fear keeps us from clear, logical thinking.

Florida St is indeed a very good team. That's why they're in the Sweet Sixteen. However, so is Gonzaga, and according to most analysts, and the Committee, Gonzaga is better. Afterall, we were the number one team in the country for some time. I think that outside of Gonzaga, Duke is the best team in the country. And probably feared the most. I remember that Gonzaga beat them in a classic battle, and I still have that game recorded. I pull it out and watch it when I begin to have doubts about how good Gonzaga is. That game clearly shows that Clarke and Rui are in a class EQUAL or better than Zion and Barrett. It also shows how good Kispert is. Kispert had a huge game against Duke, much like the one last night against Baylor. I think we are forgetting how good Gonzaga is.

I'm not worried in the least about Rui or Zach or anyone. They are a part of a great, amazing team, and somehow this brand of brothers finds a way to win on most days. Clarke's interview after the game yesterday was so awesome. He said the reason he was so motivated to play so well was because of the loss to St Mary's. He said he remembers how he felt after that game and he didn't want to have that kind of result again. There are other aspects of the game then scoring. Zach Norvell has become what I always saw in Silas Melson (one of my favorite Zags), a tough defender and rebounder. I'm sure he'll be guarding Mann thursday night, and will take it as a personal challenge. The way he did against the Farleigh Dickerson player he guarded. If he's hitting 3's it's a bonus. And as it's been said, he seems to be becoming our best passer and assist leader. And he's really driving to the basket. We need a tough guy on this team in the role of Silas Melson.

The game Thursday will be determined by toughness, both mental and physical. To fear Florida St would tell me that you believe they are tougher than us. And that simply disturbs me. It was thought for so many years that our Zags were not tough, and it always really bothered me. We showed how tough we were in '17, and made it to the Final Four. And we need to do that again this year. Our game against Florida St will be much like the one against West Virginia last year I think. We will need to show the toughness, determination and confidence that we showed against West Virginia in '17.

Florida St did not scare Vermont, who almost beat them. And Vermont is MUCH smaller than Gonzaga. Florida St was a game of David vs Golliath. Our game Thursday is NOT that. Our game with them is a fight between Mohammad Ali and Joe Frazier. Two tough champions. But only one can survive.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I'll take a repeat of this please .... NCAA dance .... Mark Few's Zags over Leonard Hamilton's Seminoles. 67-60

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=300782250

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I’ll bet Killian is itching to play FSU. So glad he’s in the roster. Honestly, I think the Zags will make FSU look ... not as formidable as many think. It may be a close game. I feel the Zags will have a great 2nd half.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I'm glad its the first game and not our second opponent(we need fresh legs to beat them imo). I like our chances as I know this team will be well prepared and ready to play some tenacious defense which is whats required to beat FSU.
    I have to think this whole team will be tuned in on defensive assignments afetr last years defeat. I really do think GU wins this one and wouldn't be surprised by a double digit win.
    I think this team can be that good defensively.

I don't think it is anymore complicated than that Perkins has to control the offense and the tempo....

I think we'll need productive minutes from our bench players, specifically Geno, Filip, and Jeremy. I think Killian is ready for the challenge, and we'll be able to match the physicality of FSU, just as we did against Baylor.

The Baylor game showed me just how critical the officiating can be. As much as we benefitted from Vital getting his fourth, I thought we were hurt by Tillie getting his 3rd while standing still arms in the air. Tillie had come to play and I think would've helped us keep separation.

We cannot withstand foul trouble the way FSU can. I really hope that our guys get to "play hard" bc then I feel good about our game.

We need to find some outside shooting, again this might be where Tillie helps us most. Maybe Norvelle heats up.

Rui just needs to play. FSU is going to spend 4 days trying to figure out how to stop BC. Rui can be Rui, and get that mid-range game going again. Coaches need to get in his ear, challenging his stones a bit, show him highlights of the Duke game and get him believing.

A guy who I don't think gets enough credit is Perk. Maybe because he's dialed in to doing 2-3 inexplicable bone-headed plays a game. It's easy to remember those, but he was a very calming presence throughout the Baylor game, and he's doing a great job getting to the basket, feeding the post.

I don't like the match-up. I feel like I did against WVU last time. I never believed we'd win that game until we actually won the game.

Hope to feel that way again.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I love this time of year and watching our guys play. Of course, I'll be nervous once the game starts, but if it was an easy game it wouldn't be the Sweet Sixteen!! Our guys will be fine and I'm expecting a close, hard-fought game with a win to put us in the Elite 8.

#Go Zags
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

7 point favorite is insane.

Why?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    7 point favorite is insane.
    lets see if money moves it

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Why?
    I agree with LizF, Jazz, Why? Could you explain your thinking behind that statement?

I'm watching the Tennessee game vs Iowa. SEC has looked very tough in the tournament so far. I'm glad Gonzaga played Tennessee this year. It's another game (besides the one vs Duke) the Zags can look to to remember how good we are. We really should have won that game too. Please REMEMBER..... We ARE that good. We are #1.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    The Baylor game showed me just how critical the officiating can be. As much as we benefitted from Vital getting his fourth, I thought we were hurt by Tillie getting his 3rd while standing still arms in the air. Tillie had come to play and I think would've helped us keep separation.

We cannot withstand foul trouble the way FSU can. I really hope that our guys get to "play hard" bc then I feel good about our game.

We need to find some outside shooting, again this might be where Tillie helps us most. Maybe Norvelle heats up.

Rui just needs to play. FSU is going to spend 4 days trying to figure out how to stop BC. Rui can be Rui, and get that mid-range game going again. Coaches need to get in his ear, challenging his stones a bit, show him highlights of the Duke game and get him believing.

A guy who I don't think gets enough credit is Perk. Maybe because he's dialed in to doing 2-3 inexplicable bone-headed plays a game. It's easy to remember those, but he was a very calming presence throughout the Baylor game, and he's doing a great job getting to the basket, feeding the post.

I don't like the match-up. I feel like I did against WVU last time. I never believed we'd win that game until we actually won the game.

Hope to feel that way again.
    Couldn't agree more, great post/insight.

Zag D big key in this one to me, and controlling the d glass. can generate a lot of o through the Zag d matchup vs. FSU o, imo, if Zags can control the glass as well as they did vs. the bears. really turned that into a strength. Offensive efficiency another big one to not let FSU board and break. FSU makes you put it on the deck to make plays

I'm a big Hamilton fan, his back story is inspiring and I've rooted for him since he started beating the big ACC boys with his approach, so I feel respect.

but would love to see Few and co. stick it to Hamilton's FSU with the kind of stifling overwhelming D they are used to giving to others, and then win that weakside board battle and run

Count me as concerned. FSU represents the exact type of team that Rui struggles with, and pretty clearly when rui struggles we do. BC carried us last night against a team that we should have beaten by 20 on talent alone. I don’t think we out talent FSU by 20. I think they have underachieved all year with that roster. We can win, but we need to be at our best. Better bring your hard hats to this one.

To win, Rui and Norvell will have to be at their best. Watching Rui, it seems that any team who puts a hard body on him will shut him sown. In the SMC and Baylor games, he looks disinterested and really isn't doing much against pressure. Norvell is weak on defense and his shooting is well, superfluous.

These two matter. FSU is not FD or Baylor. Most of those who beat us last year are back. They know how to beat us. They have everything ( in terms of matchups) to give us fits especially if Rui stares at the floor and doesn't get animated. And Josh doesn't seem to control the offense as he has all year till SMC. This said, GU being 7 pt favorites against a long athletic team that plays hard defense is quite the exaggeration. We'll see what Few cooks up. But without team teams leaders acting like they are seriously committed to win, this may be our last game of the season.

It 's just lucky that Brandon dunks. He took over the game yesterday. He may have punched his ticket to the NBA but it'll take more than him to beat FSU.

Love your positivity, Reborn... It does calm the nerves. I do think FSU is a formidable opponent and do think our inside game may be challenged somewhat. That being said, I think our guys (and coaches) will come out very focused and intense and will rise to meet that challenge. It should be a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I agree with LizF, Jazz, Why? Could you explain your thinking behind that statement?
    Seems too many to me

Excited for the game. I’m hopeful Few and the guys will find a way to survive and advance.

Go Zags!!

It's the Sweet Sixteen - arguably, the best sixteen teams in the nation. They should all be formidable foes at this point. So they beat us last year - big deal. That doesn't mean we can't beat them this year. I'd love to see a relatively stress-free game, but I'm sure it won't be. I, personally, can't wait until Thursday!
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Count me as concerned. FSU represents the exact type of team that Rui struggles with, and pretty clearly when rui struggles we do. BC carried us last night against a team that we should have beaten by 20 on talent alone. I don’t think we out talent FSU by 20. I think they have underachieved all year with that roster. We can win, but we need to be at our best. Better bring your hard hats to this one.
    This.
    Love the zags for life

Speaking of the Tennessee game, wow, they almost blew it. Like us yesterday they had a 21 point lead at the half (we had a sixteen). Iowa came out the second half and (like Baylor) got right back into the game with a 12-2 run. Tennessee's game actually got a lot closer than ours. Iowa's guards really got self-centered at the end of the game and in overtime. Just shows you that team ball wins over selfish ball. Iowa failed to get the ball inside at the end, which was what got them back into the game. However, I'm so glad Tenn won. They are one of my favorite teams outside of Gonzaga. Their next game will be every bit as tough as ours with Florida St. They play Purdue, another Big Ten team, and one better than Iowa. I would rather play Florida St. if you want my opinion.Let's keep winning and advancing.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    I'm glad its the first game and not our second opponent(we need fresh legs to beat them imo).
    This is exactly why Zags fans should be more worried about the potential matchup against Michigan or Texas Tech.

Gonzaga will beat FSU. Its gonna take a great effort by all to do so, and I'm confident it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MichZagFan View Post
    This is exactly why Zags fans should be more worried about the potential matchup against Michigan or Texas Tech.

Gonzaga will beat FSU. Its gonna take a great effort by all to do so, and I'm confident it'll happen.
    And yet, Michigan State beat Michigan, did they not? And the Zags beat Mich St in the scrimmage.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!