Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rui vs Baylor

Default Rui vs Baylor

I'll say it...

What the heck happened to Rui out there? He was a total non-factor.

How did Baylor do it? Can FSU play copy cat?

I feel like Clarke commanded the ball more but that couldn't be the whole story.

Elgin is a HOF player he did it with skill and grace ….Rui is not in Baylor's league ...

Mabe this game brings him back to Spokane next year

Agreed. Can only assume they focused on taking him out of the game

one big one is finishing through contact; BC did it many times, Rui could not

also, Rui got stuck under the basket and so got blocked, has been brought up before, happened tonight

and the zone and M2M with all the pushing took away his midrange so he had to put it on the deck, and again, he did not play well through the contact

teams are hyper focused to stop him

another thought is teams are attacking him hard on the other end of the floor, in the post, off the bounce on the perimeter, in the paint

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Elgin is a HOF player he did it with skill and grace ….Rui is not in Baylor's league ...
    Ha!

Midway through the first half I figured he was ill. It didn't appear to me as though he had his regular strength to follow through on shots and rebound.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

You guys are ridiculous. Do your ankles get sore from jumping on and off of the bandwagon so much?

Everyone has off nights EVERYONE... Even the best players in the world.

Give the guy a break, he is our team MVP and our best player when he is on.

Two players on this team are not playing well on offense or defense and its hurting us. Rui and Norvel.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    one big one is finishing through contact; BC did it many times, Rui could not

also, Rui got stuck under the basket and so got blocked, has been brought up before, happened tonight

and the zone and M2M with all the pushing took away his midrange so he had to put it on the deck, and again, he did not play well through the contact

teams are hyper focused to stop him
    Well, if we're "Glass half full" types, the NEXT team won't be as hyper focused on stopping Rui.

Coaches got to get in Rui's ear a bit this week and challenge him. I think he can rise to it. He played well in a physical game v. Duke.

He's been under the bright lights now, time for him to have just an average Rui game. Don't need to be superstar, just play, man.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Two players on this team are not playing well on offense or defense and its hurting us. Rui and Norvel.
    But pretty obvious it's for two very different reasons. One is staying tough but something holding him back or out of sync...the other is simply wilting under pressure and lacking a killer instinct/fight.

Even Few mentioned that Rui hasn't really had an off night yet this year. This was an off night. He wasn't concerned at all.

Anyone remember last year vs Florida State? I do. I was there. Rui got his shot blocked at least 5 times inside. A bit worried about that matchup but luckily we have Tillie and 1st team all american Clarke who can pick up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    I'll say it...

What the heck happened to Rui out there? He was a total non-factor.

How did Baylor do it? Can FSU play copy cat?

I feel like Clarke commanded the ball more but that couldn't be the whole story.
    Fsu did it last yr vs him already. He has problems vs long athletic physical players.
    Love the zags for life

He looked like he had the flu in this game. He’ll play better next week.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Well, if we're "Glass half full" types, the NEXT team won't be as hyper focused on stopping Rui.

Coaches got to get in Rui's ear a bit this week and challenge him. I think he can rise to it. He played well in a physical game v. Duke.

He's been under the bright lights now, time for him to have just an average Rui game. Don't need to be superstar, just play, man.
    great post. adjustment time for Rui, I agree. it's normal, like KKAid said, but the way he's being played is part of it too imo

I think that Clarke was just so completely dominant and Rui was slightly off they went with the hot hand. When Rui had the ball he wasn't hitting his shots, but he wasn't terrible. We're fine.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Anyone remember last year vs Florida State? I do. I was there. Rui got his shot blocked at least 5 times inside. A bit worried about that matchup but luckily we have Tillie and 1st team all american Clarke who can pick up the slack.
    yep, I remember

big week of preparation ahead for Rui and all

Probably being harsh saying they aren't playing well but they are definitely not playing their best right now.

I think that it had more to do with Rui taking Rui out of his game tonight than what Baylor did. He just never looked like he was feeling it tonight. Everyone has those nights when you're an athlete. I'll give him credit for not pushing the issue and letting Clarke do what he did instead of taking both of them out of the game. There's a lot of players who are considered "the man" on their team who would have just pushed too hard. That's what I love about this team. No one seems to care who's got the hot hand, let's just win! I could easily be saying the same thing about Norvell letting Kispert do his thing tonight instead of trying to shoot his way through it.

What happened to Rui in the St. Mary's loss??

This is nothing new folks. Rui has not shown up to play in several big games, and it's something that I am sure the scouts are wondering about.

Again, Few said it is a big part of Japanese culture to DEFER to others, and the staff is having a hard time eliminating that aspect of him on the floor. Perhaps it is partly that. He also could have big time nerves. I really believe it is psychological. There is just no way for a player like him to be that bad through what an opponent is doing to him.

If he doesn't show next week, it's going to be a blow out. He has to deliver. Not like Brandon tonight, but at least get to his season averages.

- I do not think Baylor did anything special to knock rui off his game.
    - rui was simply out of sync, he could not dribble well, catch a pass clean, hand, eye, rim coordination was kaput from the get go. kind of reminded be of karnowski in the f.f. game, his shooting eye and stroke disappeared that game (oddly enough but for his free throws)

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    What happened to Rui in the St. Mary's loss??

This is nothing new folks. Rui has not shown up to play in several big games, and it's something that I am sure the scouts are wondering about.

Again, Few said it is a big part of Japanese culture to DEFER to others, and the staff is having a hard time eliminating that aspect of him on the floor. Perhaps it is partly that. He also could have big time nerves. I really believe it is psychological. There is just no way for a play like him to be that bad through what an opponent is doing to him.

If he doesn't show next week, it's going to be a blow out. He has to deliver. Not like Brandon tonight, but at least get to his season averages.
    agreed. will be a big ask, and he'll have to be ready for an even more physical matchup. until he proves the muscle doesn't bother him, it will keep coming the rest of the way and beyond

nerves are another thing to adjust to

[QUOTE=bartruff1;1447494]Elgin is a HOF player he did it with skill and grace ….Rui is not in Baylor's league ...[/QUOTE

Crafty! According to Oscar Robertson, NO ONE is in Baylor’s league, no one.