Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rui vs Baylor

Toward the end of the post game press conference, available elsewhere on the men's board Few was asked the exact question regarding, "What happened to Rui?' His answer,"Look Baylor is a physical tough team, the are like a football team, they bodied up on him some and he didn't finish the first couple and that just kind of got in his head and it kind of snowballed on him. Look he hasn't had a bad game all year so it just really wasn't his night, that happens, look we have BC, Tillie, Kispert and some other guys. That's what makes this team so special!
    Last edited by Section 116; 03-23-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: substitute men;s board for this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Toward the end of the post game press conference, available elsewhere on this thread Few was asked the exact question regarding, "What happened to Rui?' His answer,"Look Baylor is physical tough team, the are like a football team, they bodied up on him some and didn't finish the first couple and that just kind of got in his head and it kind of snowballed on him. Look he hasn't had a bad game all year so it just really wasn't his night, that happens, look we have BC, Tillie, Kispert and some other guys. That's what makes this team so special!
    Good answer by Coach. And the truth.

I'd be more curious what is up with Norvell? Rui just seemed out of it and deferring, Norvell seems truly off. Big difference.

It was like his head just wasn't in the game, or Baylor got physical with him a bit and he checked out. It wasn't like a guy going out there and just missing a bunch of shots. Versus St. Mary's he only attempted, what was it, 3 shots or something??? I don't know how to explain it. He is still growing as a prospect, still learning the game.

I would LOVE to see him put on a show vs. FSU next week. He actually looks like one of those FSU guys physically.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It was like his head just wasn't in the game, or Baylor got physical with him a bit and he checked out. It wasn't like a guy going out there and just missing a bunch of shots. Versus St. Mary's he only attempted, what was it, 3 shots or something??? I don't know how to explain it. He is still growing as a prospect, still learning the game.

I would LOVE to see him put on a show vs. FSU next week. He actually looks like one of those FSU guys physically.
    Aside from Clarke and Kispert, the whole team looked more like the St Mary’s version than the FDU version. Didn’t seem to have the same energy. Chalk this up as the Brandon Clarke game and figure out how to bring it for four more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    You guys are ridiculous. Do your ankles get sore from jumping on and off of the bandwagon so much?

Everyone has off nights EVERYONE... Even the best players in the world.

Give the guy a break, he is our team MVP and our best player when he is on.
    He's been AWOL two of the last three games. . . he needs to be ON full-time from now on. . .maybe develop a mean streak for the next four ball games. . .show the country why he earned AA status. . .etc.

Still on his bandwagon. Just wish the band was playing a rousing march instead of a funereal dirge.

Beat FSU !
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-24-2019 at 07:43 AM.

One has to have hope he will respond differently next week, yet a realist may ask, "what if he isn't built for this type of moment or stage?"

We already know we are playing one incredible opponent next week, potentially two. 2 teams in 3 days who are Top-10, physical, tough, no mercy on the court.

Can we expect Rui to show up and fight? Mettle, toughness, grit, and heart? Florida St is an uphill battle for 40 mins, what about Michigan and Texas Tech, ranked #1 and #2 defensively in the country.

Nothing will be easy. Rui has become used to easy. Getting his way.

He won't be allowed anything easy, he must impose his will. This either comes within or doesn't come at all.

Turning on an All-American after a victory into the sweet 16 just because he didn’t have his typical game. Fair weather “fandom.” Really???

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    You guys are ridiculous. Do your ankles get sore from jumping on and off of the bandwagon so much?

Everyone has off nights EVERYONE... Even the best players in the world.

Give the guy a break, he is our team MVP and our best player when he is on.
    No. I've always said Brandon is our best player.

Rui's still learning to turn on beast mode consistently. It's always about aggression with him. His D was awful tonight.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Rui picked up his 2nd foul with 5 and a half minutes left in the first half and only played 23 minutes total. Watching the tape it is apparent that Baylor was giving him a lot of attention off the ball to my eye. The refs calls were out of sync with what was actually happening out on the court. Mark Few managed his usage of Rui because of this and the fact that Brandon Clarke was off the hook today.

I see a lot of pearl clutching amongst our regulars.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Rui will probably come back next game. Norvell too. There's too much worrying going on - just enjoy it, for God's sake. If you knew in advance he would have such a bad game tonight, you would have expected a blowout loss. There's too many weapons on this team to stress over one or two players having an off night.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Toward the end of the post game press conference, available elsewhere on the men's board Few was asked the exact question regarding, "What happened to Rui?' His answer,"Look Baylor is a physical tough team, the are like a football team, they bodied up on him some and he didn't finish the first couple and that just kind of got in his head and it kind of snowballed on him. Look he hasn't had a bad game all year so it just really wasn't his night, that happens, look we have BC, Tillie, Kispert and some other guys. That's what makes this team so special!
    Few was dissembling a bit. Rui’s Backed away from physical bigs a lot. And if he thinks Baylor was football what will he make of Florida state?

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Elgin is a HOF player he did it with skill and grace ….Rui is not in Baylor's league ...
    Rui and Elg? That’s code red delusional

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Few was dissembling a bit. Rui’s Backed away from physical bigs a lot. And if he thinks Baylor was football what will he make of Florida state?
    FSU is long and athletic. They aren't short (in basketball terms) and thick like Baylor. Baylor is built more like a football team especially Vital.

In the pregame presser Few said in so many words that the demands on Rui from the Japanese press are huge as he is the great hope for Japanese basketball, the Olympics, and the future. How are they managing access? Perhaps just leave him alone with his teammates going forward. Just let the young man play basketball.

Rui and Elg? That’s code red delusional
    his pun went over your head. Look at the thread title again

I know. Duh on me. Long unpleasant night. Just contemplating FSU is nauseating. THE worst pre F4 matchup possible for Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    his pun went over your head. Look at the thread title again

I know. Duh on me. Long unpleasant night. Just contemplating FSU is nauseating. THE worst pre F4 matchup possible for Zags.
    I hear ya Jazz. I didn’t not like the matchup either but we need FSU. I love listening to kispert say postgame “FSU is gonna demand our best and we wouldn’t want it any other way. We draw them two years in a row in sweet 16 and that is what we want.” It gave me confidence I did not have until I heard him and saw his body language as he spoke. GU vs FSU round 2 is gonna be Duke vs UNLV round 2 circa 1991

Yes. I'm not looking forward to Thursday, but if we advance I'll be so excited. Cannot stand Hamilton and FSU.

As Dixie pointed out earlier in the thread Rui played well against Duke, and IIRC it was after that when he said he is/we are the best in the country. That's not really a deferential Japanese-style comment.

Rui is capable of doing what he needs to do against FSU, he just needs to pull out of whatever he's in currently. I trust the staff to address whatever is going on.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Two players on this team are not playing well on offense or defense and its hurting us. Rui and Norvel.
    Did we lose?

IMHO the Zags are 9 deep. What’re the chances all 9 are all on in the same game? And, how often could that be in back to back games?

Kudos to Clarke & Kispert .... and that fun 3 by Crandall.

Bring on FSU please Go Zags!

I'll take the Rui from last year's NCAA win over Ohio State please. This 2 minute clip is spectacular.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2RMjxU4M0

One of my alltime favorite message board lines came from that game (from an Ohio State fan). "Can somebody check to see if LeBron made a trip to Japan 20 years ago?"

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

He is bothered by physicality. I think it slightly hurts his draft stock. The NBA is chock full of grown men brutes.

One can also argue that creating a game plan to stop Rui opens things up for Clarke and Tillie. I can't argue with the majority of the offense going through a guy (Clarke) that has the highest field goal percentage in the NCAA. Rui's mere presence contributes to that statistic. On a positive note, Rui's defense is light years ahead of what we saw against Tennessee.

He still has great upside and his issues are very correctable. It may take a game or two to adjust out of the WCC level of play.

I want to see him back to nailing mid range shots from the elbow. That is his calling card and he is getting away from it lately.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    He is bothered by physicality.
    I wonder if they can gameplan for it some by putting BC on him in scrimmages and have Brandon just beat the hell out of Rui all week. Get him at least used to being pulled and grabbled and jumped over.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    On a positive note, Rui's defense is light years ahead of what we saw against Tennessee.
    Great point and he certainly deserves some recognition for improving dramatically.

Rui fought and struggled. He made some bad turnovers and poor decisions in traffic with the ball but he was fighting to the end. Got a couple of key rebounds and jump ball toward the end.

No it wasn’t an All American performance but I think it’s unfair to use that title as a noose to criticize him after a couple of bad games. But that’s what fanatics will do. I get it.