• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raise the zag
    Zag for Life
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    What I think many are missing in regards to ruins struggles the last couple tough games is his evolution in the finer points of basketball...adjustments

It's clear to me SMC and Baylor game planned to take Rui out and dare others to step up...these are the first time all year where complete dedication to remove him from the game was implemented

This is the next evolution in the overall growth of his game that needs to occur. Recognition of what is occurring, taking it and not force action into the teeth of this game plan...BUT give extra attention and effort to the game in other areas..rebounding and defense

For me what he has shown is instead of refocused effort in other key areas we have seen a withdrawal in effort and intensity

I suspect this is an on going discussion and teaching moment

But with Clarke and Tille showing strong will make it difficult for complete sell out by FSU to take Rui out

Secondly FSU is not nearly as physical as Baylor and plays in a little more free flowing which also matches up to Ruis game

Just my view
    Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Really???? Who doesn't???? Don't you think there may be a correlation between BC going off for 36 and Rui having an "off night". As in Baylor was making someone other than Rui beat them???? Last night BC, Corey and the rest of the guys were up to the task.

Rui is fine. The ZAGS are fine. As Sir Charles said yesterday, the ZAGS are one of two or three teams in the tourney who can still win when/if their best player has an "off night". The team is in the S16, FSU has to fly across the country, or stay in a foreign environment for a week. FSU is the obvious worst match-up for the guys, but they want revenge from last year.

Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere.................FSU, TBD, Anaheim. Bring it!!

Go ZAGS
    In theory, yes to both, however after watching the game twice last night (late night), & re-watching parts of the game today, I never once saw Baylor double team Rui. Not a single possession.

They certainly collapsed on his overly patient post up moves and drives to the hoop, and aggressive on trying to swipe it away, yet not like face guarded him.

Funny thing is, there were numerous possessions Rui simply deferred.

Rui could have broken his man down on several occasions and didn't, so when he took Vital to the rim, I thought to myself..."He could have done that at least 5 times but simply chose not to..."

Fine by me. Feed the hot hand, but Rui was checked out.

That said, I watched Baylor players, at least 3 difference players continue to push, grab, poke, prod Rui off the ball. Rui would post up, then just turn around and float. Or when he did rec the ball, he "slowly" made his move as Baylor defender was leaning hard against him, while they guarded his secondary move.

Rui need to just play. React. Go for it. And he will convert.

Half of Clarke's 15 made FG's were plays made by HIM. Whether he was cutting to the hoop, crashing the glass, getting a put back, out jumping, hustling, and even literally putting his hand in the opponents face as he flew over them for a dunk.

Again, this isn't ripping Rui, or seeking excuses, yet Rui had numerous opportunities to play his game and simply did not. We know what he can do, just have to make the play and be confident and powerful.

Rui is our strongest player, even more powerful than Brandon. He out weights Clarke by 15lbs, and Coach Few has said several times...Brandon is more athletic than Rui but Rui is naturally stronger.

If FSU chooses to double team Rui or Brandon, then that is great news for both. I expect them too vs Clarke, yet it didnt happen vs Baylor.

Brandon just went out there and made sure we wouldn't lose. Putting his team on his back, and playing tough, aggressive, and matching physicality.

The other one did not.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

they bodied Rui hard and came at him off the bounce, collapsed around him. also pushed and made the first catch tough, also attacked him on D and beat him. messed with his head, even Few said so, and that's basketball. the mental edge was won by the bears on Rui, but by BC on the bears. Don't you think BC affected some poor play from Baylor? I do, not just that the bears checked out

whatever, it happens, two games out of last 3 to Rui it has. game plan is to body him hard before the catch early and often, after the catch send help on the bounce and push, foul him hard inside, then on the other end of the floor attack him on D in the post, the perimeter off the bounce, on the glass; this is a big part of it seems to me, attacking him so hard the other way. it's a full frontal psychological assault. Bennett started it successfully.

I think it's too simple to say it's all on Rui to just play, or conclude he checked out. I give the D some credit, just like I credit the Zags d for the terrible 3 point shooting from the bears.

Instead, I think Rui needs to recognize what teams are doing to him all over the floor to attack his psyche, so he can prepare mentally and psychologically for it, and adjust mentally and psychologically in his prep so he can be strong and not defer.

He's not seen this much pure gameplan to stop him as he has since SMC. He's risen to other challenges, we'll see if he can to this one too. But no need to force feed him the ball, there are other options, like if teams play BC 1v1 or with no help in the post or the elbow. I'll take that all day

Comment

• Malastein
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

His gravity on the court was part of the reason why Clarke had a monster game. I think the moral is that you can stop one or the other, but no team is stopping both.
        The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• GrizZAG
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2009

One announcer mentioned that Rui had no fouls in the previous two games. To me that indicates lack of agressiveness on defense.
          One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

Working...
          X