Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Sixteen for 5 years in a row!

Default Sweet Sixteen for 5 years in a row!

Congratulations
    Japanese fan

Yes, Let's Enjoy this at least until Tomorrow.
    Is Clarke our Danny Manning?

Even Jazz has to admit that's damned impressive!

It is really amazing.

Good job, men.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I am seriously stoked with this win. Fantastic game by Corey Kispert, Brandon makes GU history, Andy the Zags move on to the Sweet 16!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

This ain't rocket surgery!

Thanks for the congrats! It sweet16 is not enough! FSU will be a slug fest test!!e
    Quote Originally Posted by Skimhvn View Post
    Congratulations
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-23-2019 at 07:39 PM.

This team deserves to work its way to the final four.

Absolutely no one would have even entertained the idea of 5 straight sweet 16's by the Zags 20 years ago. Especially not if you said that they are still in the WCC. It's really hard for me to decide if this or a natty would be better. What the heck, let's see if the guys can make it both?

5 in a row, only team in the country that can say that. Not duke, not Michigan state, not Arizona, not Villanova, not north Carolina, not Kentucky, the Zags stand alone.

And to think.. the best is yet to come!

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Absolutely no one would have even entertained the idea of 5 straight sweet 16's by the Zags 20 years ago. Especially not if you said that they are still in the WCC. It's really hard for me to decide if this or a natty would be better. What the heck, let's see if the guys can make it both?
    Uhh...natty, no doubt about it. I would trade 5 tourney appearances for a natty. Natty sends Few straight to the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Nobody would've entertained the notion immediately before the streak started. It was preceded by 2 and out 5 straight years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Uhh...natty, no doubt about it. I would trade 5 tourney appearances for a natty. Natty sends Few straight to the hall.
    I gotta think he's already in. A Natty is not a prerequisite for the hall. It would be nice though.

I have already put out the call to see how many teams have done it over the past thirty years. I have to imagine there are WAY less than teams who have done it four years in a row. It's an incredible achievement. And again, it featured a team that wouldn't have even made the dance if it had not won the league tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I have already put out the call to see how many teams have done it over the past thirty years. I have to imagine there are WAY less than teams who have done it four years in a row. It's an incredible achievement. And again, it featured a team that wouldn't have even made the dance if it had not won the league tourney.
    - I saw the stat on this last year.
    - I should not say, cuse I do not remember, but I think the records was like 9 or 10 when ucla won consecutive championships, but after that it had only been done maybe once 7 times, and 6 times a couple of times. I believe 5 times is fourth best.

I figured it was way less. College teams used to have their players for four years. One big time recruiting class might get you a 4 year run, but to push it to 5 it's much more challenging. And it's good they achieved it with the uncertainty surrounding next year's team and if it can build an at large resume.

Looks like 6th all time

http://mcubed.net/ncaab/strkr16a.shtml
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

This is an incredible accomplishment. I just hope to see the Zags advance past FSU and hopefully meet Michigan in the E8.

My two favorite teams! Would be so exciting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Thank you for posting this. The teams with 5 or more are almost all blue bloods.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Thank you for posting this. The teams with 5 or more are almost all blue bloods.
    Yup. Elite territory (again)

Seems like we keep adding more to our incredible story amongst the elites
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

And a few of those longer streaks with fewer than 64/68 teams in the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

Duke with Christian Laettner went to four Final Fours in a row, winning the championship twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Duke with Christian Laettner went to four Final Fours in a row, winning the championship twice.
    Well, something to shoot for.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

This is the news I got:

This is the 35th year of the expanded bracket.

There have been three streaks longer: One by Carolina, two by Duke. There have been two as long. That's it.

We will see an article on this soon.

It is going to be the best ESPN 30 for 30 ever, whenever they decide to do it.