Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL GAME THREAD = NCAA TOURNEY, 2ND ROUND, SATURDAY, MARCH 23

Default OFFICIAL GAME THREAD = NCAA TOURNEY, 2ND ROUND, SATURDAY, MARCH 23

All times PT:

9:10am PT = (6) Maryland vs. (3) LSU, CBS, East Region, from Jacksonville, FLA
    11:40am PT = (7) Wofford vs. (2) Kentucky, CBS, MW Region, from Jacksonville, FLA
    2:15pm PT = (10) Florida vs. (2) Michigan, CBS, West Region, from Des Moines, Iowa
    3:10pm PT = (12) Murray State vs. (5) Florida State, TNT, from Hartford, CT
    4:10pm PT = (9) Baylor vs. (1) Gonzaga, TBS, West Region, from Salt Lake City, Utah
    4:45pm PT = (10) Minnesota vs. (2) Michigan State, CBS, East Region, from Des Moines, Iowa
    5:40pm PT = (6) Villanova vs. (3) Purdue, TNT, South Region, from Hartford, CT
    6:40pm PT = (5) Auburn vs. (4) Kansas, TBS, MW Region, from Salt Lake City, Utah

Kind of interesting that if Kansas beats Auburn, they could move on to the regional in Kansas City (a stone's throw from the Lawrence campus) despite their so so season.

Michigan State and Minnesota, 2 Big 10 schools, are forced to face each other because of the depth of the Big 10.

I am telling you, with PJ Washington being hurt, and the way Wofford plays and nails the three, I wouldn't be shocked if Wofford pulls off the upset. But they MUST hit threes and be creative about getting the looks. They will be scouted well. They also must rebound hard. KY will have a size and athleticism advantage.

I just would not be shocked if Murray State beats FSU. Ja is just that special. And if that happens, how on earth are the Zags going to deal with that guy (if GU beats the Bears). Their sweet 16 game, if they can get by Baylor, isn't going to be fun to game plan for.

Anybody know when the open practice will be on Friday?

BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

Did any team truly surprise you, good or bad, through the opening round?
    Murray St lost 3 games for a reason. Quick, confident, athletic, and patient team. Run the floor like gazelles and feature the best PG prospect in recent history. They look like the current VCU, George Mason, Davidson, et al. A team very capable of going to the Final 4.

Liberty
    . They have size at the right positions, and tall guards who can stroke it. Tough minded group, physical, and can score in bunches. Showed a ton of resiliency after going down by double digits a couple of times and responding with a big win. I thought they looked good in their conference Championship game and it carried over.

UCF suprised me. Their length is like a poor man's Florida St. Almost a carbon copy of their swarming defense and offense, same state, definitely dominated their matchup.

Oregon, actually. High flying, active, fun group to watch. Almost like they re-invited themselves after I saw them play earlier in the season. Pritchard is much better than Jazz gives him credit for, a bit herky jerky, but smart and understands the game. Their lean, long, and can jump. I could see them making a mini run -- Elite 8 is their ceiling, yet likely out vs Virginia in Sweet 16. Although their opponent is good too.

Speaking of, UC-Irvine surprised me, not in beating the already beat-up K State, but how they did it. FANTASTIC defensive group. Don't care what the metrics says (they don't always tell the whole story esp this time of year), yet they are smart methodical patient defensive group, and have the guys to do it. They have small, quick guards and some enough size to keep teams honest. They don't simply rely on the 3 as so many mid-majors do, the can defend with the best of them.

Dare I say, Baylor surprised me. Their guards are bowling balls man. They are between 215-250lbs a piece, and run a 4 guard offense who can shoot, and rebound as good as any team we'll see. They are tough, gritty, and scrappy. Their PG is a playmaker and winner. Their bench averages 9ppg/a piece, and all shot 36% 3pt and above. Impressive performance vs 'Cuse. They lit up their zone and new exactly how to beat it. 16 3's were tied for most in the opening round.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Murray St lost 3 games for a reason. Quick, confident, athletic, and patient team. Run the floor like gazelles and feature the best PG prospect in recent history. They look like the current VCU, George Mason, Davidson, et al. A team very capable of going to the Final 4.

Liberty
    . They have size at the right positions, and tall guards who can stroke it. Tough minded group, physical, and can score in bunches. Showed a ton of resiliency after going down by double digits a couple of times and responding with a big win. I thought they looked good in their conference Championship game and it carried over.

UCF suprised me. Their length is like a poor man's Florida St. Almost a carbon copy of their swarming defense and offense, same state, definitely dominated their matchup.

Oregon, actually. High flying, active, fun group to watch. Almost like they re-invited themselves after I saw them play earlier in the season. Pritchard is much better than Jazz gives him credit for, a bit herky jerky, but smart and understands the game. Their lean, long, and can jump. I could see them making a mini run -- Elite 8 is their ceiling, yet likely out vs Virginia in Sweet 16. Although their opponent is good too.

Speaking of, UC-Irvine surprised me, not in beating the already beat-up K State, but how they did it. FANTASTIC defensive group. Don't care what the metrics says (they don't always tell the whole story esp this time of year), yet they are smart methodical patient defensive group, and have the guys to do it. They have small, quick guards and some enough size to keep teams honest. They don't simply rely on the 3 as so many mid-majors do, the can defend with the best of them.

Dare I say, Baylor surprised me. Their guards are bowling balls man. They are between 215-250lbs a piece, and run a 4 guard offense who can shoot, and rebound as good as any team we'll see. They are tough, gritty, and scrappy. Their PG is a playmaker and winner. Their bench averages 9ppg/a piece, and all shot 36% 3pt and above. Impressive performance vs 'Cuse. They lit up their zone and new exactly how to beat it. 16 3's were tied for most in the opening round.
    It is going to be very interesting to see what FSU does against Murray St. Things did not get easier for them. They will need to do more than just rely on their size and athleticism.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Good morning, HoopHeads.

Outrageous statement for the very early morning.
    This is the weakest link, as far as entry into the S16
    ( LSU v Maryland )
    So many brackets, so little time.

Really?! It's the round of 32 and you all are not up yet !

It's March.

If anybody is interested in a comparison, our 3 is Texas Tech. Our 6 is Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Kind of interesting that if Kansas beats Auburn, they could move on to the regional in Kansas City (a stone's throw from the Lawrence campus) despite their so so season.

Michigan State and Minnesota, 2 Big 10 schools, are forced to face each other because of the depth of the Big 10.

I am telling you, with PJ Washington being hurt, and the way Wofford plays and nails the three, I wouldn't be shocked if Wofford pulls off the upset. But they MUST hit threes and be creative about getting the looks. They will be scouted well. They also must rebound hard. KY will have a size and athleticism advantage.

I just would not be shocked if Murray State beats FSU. Ja is just that special. And if that happens, how on earth are the Zags going to deal with that guy (if GU beats the Bears). Their sweet 16 game, if they can get by Baylor, isn't going to be fun to game plan for.
    Would Zag fans rather have a rematch with FSU or play Steph Curry again, I mean Ja. If the guys can take out Baylor of course.

MD 3 narrows it to 38-29 at halftime buzzer.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    Would Zag fans rather have a rematch with FSU or play Steph Curry again, I mean Ja. If the guys can take out Baylor of course.
    Speaking alone for myself, I view the easiest path ( this year ) through the Seminoles. I want no part of Morant.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    Ja. All day long.

Simply because he is a joy to watch. Murray St is an exciting, albeit dangerous group.

3 losses. Underseeded. Best PG in Tourney, and they play quick but still smart.

My least favorite team in College hoops is Florida St. Been so for many years. They are predictable and always look & play the exact same. To the point of annoyance. A 7+ foot, long, lean guy in the middle, doesn't matter what season it is, always the same type of player, followed by 10 atheltic, fast, physical guys around him who learn to play their helter skelter style. They play guys like a hockey team and play the same, with the same attributes. They rarely, if ever, have "character" amongst their team, or uniqueness. No one is interesting since they all average around 20 mpg, and just run as fast and hard and wild as possible. They have recruited better more skilled shooters/players in recent years, but still the same ol Florida St. This year's team is their best in a long time. I just cringe when watching them play or when we have to play them. They rely solely on their superior length and size to overwhelm opponents. Blah. Not a fan.

Murray St, complete oppositie. The kids play with joy. They play for each other, share the ball, fast, fun, yet also skilled enough to play true basketball when needed. An exciting group and would much rather play them.

Both teams are capable and could beat us, yet given the choice, I hope the Racers "out race" Florida St. Outside our Zags, I'm rooting for Ja & Murray the most.

Watching Maryland v LSU. Can both teams lose? Two programs I've never had much use for.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

LSU Mary Land play more volleyball than basketball...throw and get it

REALLY looking fwd to this KY /Wofford game if I can get rid of this migraine with nausea. Not good for game day.

Come on, Maryland!!

(don't really care, but I picked them in my bracket!)
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Come on, Maryland!!

(don't really care, but I picked them in my bracket!)
    We could be heading for OT.

Great finish to that game. Sorry SVP.

Was that really goal tending? I thought it was still in the shooters hand.

I have GU beating UK in the final in my bracket, but cheering for them now against the Terriers feels like rooting for the Death Star. I just can't do it.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    I have GU beating UK in the final in my bracket, but cheering for them now against the Terriers feels like rooting for the Death Star. I just can't do it.
    I frequently find myself cheering against my bracket picks. Go Terriers! Next year I’m going to fill out a just-for-fun bracket based only on teams I’d like to see win.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I frequently find myself cheering against my bracket picks. Go Terriers! Next year I’m going to fill out a just-for-fun bracket based only on teams I’d like to see win.
    I do it all the time, and its especially easy when it's a Kentucky that I'm cheering against.

Wofford played almost the perfect half, until the last 2 minutes. Just got away with an obvious double dribble, maybe the basketball gods are with Wofford.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

That was a horse#### foul call

Cal complaining about freshman. Classic.