Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GU vs Baylor (NCAA R2) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Go Zags. Beat da Bears !
    GU - 81 BU - 72

Quote Originally Posted by B Wayne View Post
    I see another 2013 outcome where the 1 seed Zags once again run into a very good but under appreciated 9 seed. The Zags rated number 1 in the country in 2013 and our fans on this board thought the Zags had better talent than the Shockers even after the game!!! But time has shown Wichita State had the better team with 3 future NBA players. Once again we face a 9 seed with future NBA talent. (our fans just don't know it now just as they didn't before Wichita State)

Baylor 79 Zags 78
    You forget that Gary Bell broke his hand in that game which severely handicapped our defense during the game and we were not able to adjust. Not to mention missing a dead eye shooter on offense. Had we beaten Wichita State, I doubt we would have won the next round without him.

Gu 90-70

Zags 85 - 71

Go !! Zags!!!
    Last edited by bigblahla; 03-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Outrebounded by 15, win by 5.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    You forget that Gary Bell broke his hand in that game which severely handicapped our defense during the game and we were not able to adjust. Not to mention missing a dead eye shooter on offense. Had we beaten Wichita State, I doubt we would have won the next round without him.
    Thought it was his foot?

And we woulda beat La Salle - or then again maybe not. Oh well.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Zags 83
    Baylor - 71
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Mythical Gonzaga 89
    Fighting Bakamus’s 82

Go Zags!

83-70 GU

Limit the turnovers, hit 3s within the flow of the offense, limit their 3 point opportunities, and rebound, Rebound, REBOUND

Zags - 81
    Bears - 67

More Tillie!

GU 76
    BU 70

this one will be a barn-burner.

Baylor simply too good of an offensive rebounding team, and confident of a shooting team not to hang around. Even when they brick shots, they get a 2nd chance more often than not as their guards all have a nose for the ball.

I could see us trailing for much of the game, say 6-8-10 pts throughout, only to pull away in the final 5 or 6 minutes as the law of averages eventually work in our favor.

Zags 74
    Bears 72

Baylor's primary strength is our primary weakness -- containing/corralling offensive rebounds. Something has to give.

I think our game flow could look a lot like Liberty vs Miss St from last night. While we don't compare to either of those teams, its how I see it going. We go up, then Baylor hits a flurry of shots, they go up, even by double digits, while we keep sawing wood, pounding it inside (up to our guards), and chip away while Baylor starts to miss shots. We win going away at the end by 2 to 5 points.

All eyes on Rui boxing out. Such a dominant player in so many ways, yet his one weakness [boxing out] is easily and instantly fixable.

Have a feeling he has a double double tonight, and leads us to the win.

Zags by 10.

I'm glad I have time to change my prediction. I think it's going to be a little tougher game than I originally thought. They play in a tough conference. 77-66 Zags!

What a great game. One certainly worthy of a team making it to the Sweet 16.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 03-23-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zags 88, Bears 77

I want to see domination. Rebound the hell out of the ball on the defensive end, everyone crashing the boards. That's the key.

Zags 84
    Bears 67
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Baylor hasn’t really found an answer for losing Tristan Clark. 8 of their 13 losses have occurred after he went down, including their 4 game losing streak to end the regular season. They will be really hard put to answer GU’s height and length if Rui, Clarke, and Tillie are all playing well.

GU needs to keep its intensity and focus and this should be 15 pt win.

Zags 88

Bears 73
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

ZAGS 85
    bears 65

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    They will be really hard put to answer GU’s height and length if Rui, Clarke, and Tillie are all playing well.
    Have an inkling Baylor tinkers with their so-called 1 3 1 zone.

I feel Baylor will play like St Mary's on defense as they don't have the overall height to protect the paint unless double teaming, which doesn't work well with us since we have multiple bigs.

My guess is they continue to play a version of 1 3 1 with a pack-it-in aspect to the bottom half, so I expect a more traditional 2-3 zone from them tonight. I think they guard the lanes much like the Gaels did. One of the recent articles stated they would watching film "from the 47 pt game".

Baylor might have no choice but to gamble to win.

They are going to let the guards shoot, exactly like SMC did. And simply hope Perkins/Norvell/Kispert aren't hitting from outside, again, just as SMC did. GU, as we know, went 2-17 from 3pt at the wrong time. The more we missed, the more they packed it in.

Baylor light years ahead of SMC athletically and muscle, yet actually shorter overall.

I think we have an answer for this: 1. plan our guards won't miss everything 2. Use Tillie more. Duh. 3. We practiced for this scenario all week, so I have faith they will come up with something.

We should win this game as long as we rebound. Its as simple as that. If we give Baylor 20+ 2nd chance points, then anything is possible. Don't let Makai get too hot, or too confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Have an inkling Baylor tinkers with their so-called 1 3 1 zone.

I feel Baylor will play like St Mary's on defense as they don't have the overall height to protect the paint unless double teaming, which doesn't work well with us since we have multiple bigs.

My guess is they continue to play a version of 1 3 1 with a pack-it-in aspect to the bottom half, so I expect a more traditional 2-3 zone from them tonight. I think they guard the lanes much like the Gaels did. One of the recent articles stated they would watching film "from the 47 pt game".

Baylor might have no choice but to gamble to win.

They are going to let the guards shoot, exactly like SMC did. And simply hope Perkins/Norvell/Kispert aren't hitting from outside, again, just as SMC did. GU, as we know, went 2-17 from 3pt at the wrong time. The more we missed, the more they packed it in.

Baylor light years ahead of SMC athletically and muscle, yet actually shorter overall.

I think we have an answer for this: 1. plan our guards won't miss everything 2. Use Tillie more. Duh. 3. We practiced for this scenario all week, so I have faith they will come up with something.

We should win this game as long as we rebound. Its as simple as that. If we give Baylor 20+ 2nd chance points, then anything is possible. Don't let Makai get too hot, or too confident.
    The scary part to me, which I haven't really seen anyone talk about, is that those 3 still shot poorly overall in our last game against FDU. The 3 guards shot 7-20 overall for 35%. That has to improve. It's even worse if you look at just kispert and norvell; 5-17 overall for 29%. I really think that Norvell is our most pivotal(is that the right word) player in determining how far we go. If he is throwing up bad shots that don't fall, we won't make it deep. However, if he finds his stroke and is hot from 3 we have a great chance of beating everyone.

Make Mason work hard on defense and run run run run until team says no mas.

Zags 94-87.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Zags 82
    Baylor: 72

They just have no answer for our guys running up and down the floor. Played as a half court game they might hang, but we just run and run some more.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Zags 87-79

Can't begin to express how disappointing a GU loss would be for all of us on the board. Worse than Nevada worse then Wyoming, the very worst. Don't see us having another Final Four opportunity in the next few years. And yet, sense one of those survive and advance scenarios today. Just hope it's GU moving forward. Zags 74-73.