Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45

Thread: Holy #### Balls, the MBB is about as encouraging as a walking through a cemetery

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,491

    Default

    When I see posters attack players and call the quitters... and generally have nothing positive to say... it is frustrating. Yes we are spoiled but I hold GU and it’s fans to a much higher standard. We are better than that.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    Boy there is a low bar...better than the SEC.....good grief....

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    When I see posters attack players and call the quitters... and generally have nothing positive to say... it is frustrating. Yes we are spoiled but I hold GU and it’s fans to a much higher standard. We are better than that.


  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    14,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Boy there is a low bar...better than the SEC.....good grief....
    Lol

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    No. Bors.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    When I see posters attack players and call the quitters... and generally have nothing positive to say... it is frustrating. Yes we are spoiled but I hold GU and it’s fans to a much higher standard. We are better than that.
    That's fair, and I did say I think we should always be trying to do better.

    But everything's relative, and anything that doesn't have a formal "invite" to it is going to "attract all kinds" sorta, so you've got a built-in 10-20% that one either should ignore or, "improve."(?)

    I hear you.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Boy there is a low bar...better than the SEC.....good grief....
    Oh, I would think if you asked the people at the SR interested in page views, they'd see that as an awfully "high bar."

    But, I get your point.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Oh, I would think if you asked the people at the SR interested in page views, they'd see that as an awfully "high bar."

    But, I get your point.
    I don't equate traffic with quality....what else are they going to do when football season is over ?....binge watch Duck Dynasty reruns.....

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,621

    Default

    There is a change that I'm not enjoying. And if I really think about it, it is this.

    The majority of posters on GUBoards used to have a common interest and that was that we all wanted what was best for Gonzaga the institution and by extension we were protective of it and of the student athlete's. So, we collectively practiced an expression of free speech but within the context of "What is best for Gonzaga and for the student athletes."

    Now there has been a shift, even amongst some of the old posters. The sentiment is more of what might surround a professional sports team and the desire is for higher and higher levels of success for the men's basketball team with out regard to the well being of the institution or for the student athletes.

    I will acknowledge that the success of the basketball team is overwhelmingly good for Gonzaga. But, GUBoards has found that sliver of negativity associated with that success and that is a fan base that is so disassociated from the institution that it doesn't care about Gonzaga and is willing to be overly critical of the student athletes if they are not in line with maximum success for the basketball team.

    This saddens me because I've been involved in these boards for 2 decades now and for most of that time the prevailing sentiment has been the former, but I find the latter sentiment very much taking over the last 3 or 4 years.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    There is a change that I'm not enjoying. And if I really think about it, it is this.

    The majority of posters on GUBoards used to have a common interest and that was that we all wanted what was best for Gonzaga the institution and by extension we were protective of it and of the student athlete's. So, we collectively practiced an expression of free speech but within the context of "What is best for Gonzaga and for the student athletes."

    Now there has been a shift, even amongst some of the old posters. The sentiment is more of what might surround a professional sports team and the desire is for higher and higher levels of success for the men's basketball team with out regard to the well being of the institution or for the student athletes.

    I will acknowledge that the success of the basketball team is overwhelmingly good for Gonzaga. But, GUBoards has found that sliver of negativity associated with that success and that is a fan base that is so disassociated from the institution that it doesn't care about Gonzaga and is willing to be overly critical of the student athletes if they are not in line with maximum success for the basketball team.

    This saddens me because I've been involved in these boards for 2 decades now and for most of that time the prevailing sentiment has been the former, but I find the latter sentiment very much taking over the last 3 or 4 years.
    Heaven forbid you call people on it... you get lambasted by the negative ones... cries of free speech... etc.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    There is a change that I'm not enjoying. And if I really think about it, it is this.

    The majority of posters on GUBoards used to have a common interest and that was that we all wanted what was best for Gonzaga the institution and by extension we were protective of it and of the student athlete's. So, we collectively practiced an expression of free speech but within the context of "What is best for Gonzaga and for the student athletes."

    Now there has been a shift, even amongst some of the old posters. The sentiment is more of what might surround a professional sports team and the desire is for higher and higher levels of success for the men's basketball team with out regard to the well being of the institution or for the student athletes.

    I will acknowledge that the success of the basketball team is overwhelmingly good for Gonzaga. But, GUBoards has found that sliver of negativity associated with that success and that is a fan base that is so disassociated from the institution that it doesn't care about Gonzaga and is willing to be overly critical of the student athletes if they are not in line with maximum success for the basketball team.

    This saddens me because I've been involved in these boards for 2 decades now and for most of that time the prevailing sentiment has been the former, but I find the latter sentiment very much taking over the last 3 or 4 years.
    Well stated.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Now they're ruining the Whelphing Box. ####!!!
    Can’t we just give 2-3 of our more combative board members a whole forum to themselves? With the caveat that they can only respond to other posters in that forum? Once inside, moderators can allow full blown Celebrity Deathmatch to ensue.

    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Can’t we just give 2-3 of our more combative board members a whole forum to themselves? With the caveat that they can only respond to other posters in that forum? Once inside, moderators can allow full blown Celebrity Deathmatch to ensue.

    That match doesn't seem fair to Michael. How can anyone be expected to go up against the champ, who likes to eat ears, and isn't mentally right, and especially when that person is dead?

    As for the GU boards, I am starting to see what some are saying.

    I would often simply skip posts that I knew were nothing but whining or from someone who no one liked hearing from.

    It DID seem like all was peaceful and fine for quite a while, and then something happened in the last week.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,491

    Default

    Speaking of Mike Tyson. I would HIGHLY recommend seeking out and watching the show Mike Tyson Mysteries. Trippy and funny as hell... Tyson has really changed his life around and this is just one part of it. Norm MacDonald plays Pigeon... don't ask questions... just watch.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    20,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Speaking of Mike Tyson. I would HIGHLY recommend seeking out and watching the show Mike Tyson Mysteries. Trippy and funny as hell... Tyson has really changed his life around and this is just one part of it. Norm MacDonald plays Pigeon... don't ask questions... just watch.
    This looks promising!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Speaking of Mike Tyson. I would HIGHLY recommend seeking out and watching the show Mike Tyson Mysteries. Trippy and funny as hell... Tyson has really changed his life around and this is just one part of it. Norm MacDonald plays Pigeon... don't ask questions... just watch.
    Wow...that was different. I nominate Pigeon to be the new official Foo mascot.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    This is why the Foo is better than the MBB. When the MBB forum goes off topic, people start slinging personal attacks and criticizing 18 year-old kids. When the Foo goes off topic, we learn that Norm MacDonald played a talking pigeon on Mike Tyson Mysteries.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,491

    Default

    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    Speaking of Mike Tyson, a good friend shared the following story with me over this past weekend.

    My friend grew up in an affluent New York suburb in northern New Jersey. When he was in high school, he used to scoop ice cream at an ice cream shop that served a lot of high end clientele. Over a couple of summers, he scooped ice cream for Steve Forbes, Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston, and Jackie Onassis, among others.

    One afternoon, my friend took a “smoke break” mid-shift and enjoyed some medicinal herb in the back of the shop. When he came back out to the counter, the Champ, Mike Tyson, was seated at the counter. Tyson ordered their biggest, fanciest menu delight. My friend proceeded to prepare it in front of the client.

    In my friend’s slightly altered mental state, he noted that the dessert looked really tasty. Without thinking, he grabbed a spoon and started eating it at the counter with Mike Tyson seated across the counter from him. My friend’s manager realized what was happening and promptly put him back on break. My friend finished the dessert, which was quite tasty, as his manager prepared a replacement for the Champ, compliments of the house.

    A few days later, Tyson came back into the shop, spotted my friend behind the counter and ordered the same dessert. He chastised my friend and begged him not to eat it. When he was done, Tyson left a $100 bill as a tip.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •