Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A lot of talking heads are picking FSU over us

I think they should just pack it in. I mean Cuse and FSU are just plain unbeatable.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    And it’s incredibly important to have scads of “The Sky is Falling!!! The Sky is Falling !!!” threads started when anyone says
    GU is going to get beat or a board member starts to get nervous.

Folks like Caduseus (and others) make this my favorite time of the year on Guboards. Others make it my
    least favorite time of the year.
    I responded to a hyperbolic post who felt that my post was hyperbolic and you raised my hyperbolic post with your own hyperbole. Is it game time yet? lol

In all seriousness, if FSU gets through and we do as well and we face one another, they're my biggest fear in the tourney, they're super athletic, crazy tall and go 10-11 deep every game.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I think they should just pack it in. I mean Cuse and FSU are just plain unbeatable.
    That's crazy talk, both teams have lost several games on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post

So why fear them? Have confidence that the Zags can figure out a way to beat them.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

I don't care who we play I only care about how we play! Go Zags

#runthetable

Quote Originally Posted by Zaga View Post
    I don't care who we play I only care about how we play! Go Zags

#runthetable
    This.

Long Island is being cynical about all the doomsayers.

As I mentioned in a previous post elsewhere, when I saw FSU shred Virginia's offense, it made me gulp hard to think we might have to play them. On the other hand they have not played that way all season, and I hope that was one game where they played above their skill level, such that they cannot perpetually sustain that level of play. If the refs let the players play on this one, I think they take us because they are quick as us and use physical force almost every chance they get. They caused UV to run out of shot clock repeatedly because of brute physicality, which was rarely called by the refs. IMHO. We will have to be Floyd Mayweather because they remind me of Tyson and Foreman at their peak. Analogy also holds in that they are bigger than we are, even if Tillie gets lots of minutes they are bigger. Except for their center, they are thick and we look slender by comparison.

I think a lot of sarcasm is being lost on a lot of people on this thread. LOL
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    So why fear them? Have confidence that the Zags can figure out a way to beat them.
    It's not "fear" to acknowledge when a team has an advantage, or in this case several advantages over you, especially in this case a team that exploited said advantages in a win over you last season. I don't understand the schoolmarm scolding.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I think a lot of sarcasm is being lost on a lot of people on this thread. LOL
    Indeed

It's not "fear" to acknowledge when a team has an advantage, or in this case several advantages over you, especially in this case a team that exploited said advantages in a win over you last season. I don't understand the schoolmarm scolding.
    What scolding?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Hah - how do you feel about the 1-3-1 zone Baylor plays then?
    Hey, experts! Novice here. We know the zone is coming. Can’t we prepare for it? If not, why the H not!?

They have to pick someone.....FSU is as good a pick as any.....at that point in the tournament, anyone can win....or lose...

Cuse is a little less scary this year than years past knowing the Zags have played that goofy 2-3 zone once already this year against Washington since Hopkins brought it over from the Cuse. They scored pretty well against it in that instance.

FSU is just as terrifying this year as last basically with 1 more year of experience. Totally agree with the folks who've mentioned that Clarke will be a difference maker this year compared to last with his athleticism, but sadly he's really the only spectacular athleticism the Zags have to contend with that FSU length. Rebounding and shot making will be huge if that's the matchup in the rd of 16 along with Clarke staying out of foul trouble.

Jeez. Fivethirtyeight says the Zags beat Cuse 8 times out of 9, and beat both them and FSU 71% of the time. One seeds lose early every year; it could happen. Shoot 2/17 on 3's and you probably lose.

But the handwringing over the matchups is something I don't get. Current odds on making the final 4 are slightly better than they were 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Jeez. Fivethirtyeight says the Zags beat Cuse 8 times out of 9, and beat both them and FSU 71% of the time. One seeds lose early every year; it could happen. Shoot 2/17 on 3's and you probably lose.

But the handwringing over the matchups is something I don't get. Current odds on making the final 4 are slightly better than they were 2 years ago.
    Scar tissue my friend. Probably the same thing happens if West Virginia ever sees us in their bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

not the most trusted words in predicting outcomes.

got any KenPom numbers? )

Let's take care of game #1 first. Then we can worry about game #2...3...4 and so on.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Hey, experts! Novice here. We know the zone is coming. Can’t we prepare for it? If not, why the H not!?
    There's usually a soft spot in the zone, near the FT line. Rui will have that shot available to him the entire game. If they try and collapse on him, he'll pass it to either Clarke or to an open 3 point shooter on the wing.

A lot of us are picking FSU over us.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    A lot of us are picking FSU over us.
    I did in my work pool. Sad part is there's not even any $$ involved and I still went against my zags.

We are very similar this year in composition (3 of the same starters) to that team got handled by FSU last year. We were bullied from the beginning and couldn't score. FSU shot 47% from the field, 30% from 3 and 68% from the line and still won by 15.

Playing FSU again is a problem I hope we have because it means another S16.

Yes, but Gonzaga has the best frontcourt in the nation and it is extremely versatile. Duke isn't very tall, and they were even able to beat FSU in Tallahassee without Zion. Remember what Few said after the FSU loss last year. Killian Tillie was going to be an essential part of the game plan to bring those bigs out on the perimeter. Well, they now also have to deal with a first team All American in Rui who can also stick three point shots but also hit at the mid range level. Clarke is 6-8, but again, while he cannot shoot like Rui and Tillie from the perimeter, he can take those dudes off the bounce, and he's a freak athlete.

All this is going to open up driving lines and less hands around the basket. Snacks needs to take advantage with his fantastic finishing ability.

Gotta be careful about referencing what Gonzaga has done in the past vs. this or that ACC team because no Gonzaga team has come within a universe of this year's GU team in terms of pro talent combined with offensive efficiency. They have the 3rd highest offensive efficiency in the Pomeroy era. A lot of these critics are not looking at kenpom.com and hence are not seeing just how unusual this Gonzaga team is, offensively, from a historical standpoint. They're transcendent.

FSU also can become a disorganized wreck on offense at times. Few is a much better coach than Hamilton. And while I am bringing up history, Gonzaga did beat Florida State in the NCAA tourney in 2010 in a relatively low scoring affair.

The thing that I am pretty sure of, however, is that Gonzaga is likely to be playing FSU because most everyone feels Marquette is over-seeded. They are just a run of the mill NCAA tourney team.

Not saying that the FSU game wouldn't be a challenge (if it ever happens), but I think some of these pundits who are beating the Seminole drum don't understand that the way to beat all that size is to have versatile bigs and an elite finishing guard like Snacks. Gonzaga just didn't have that LAST YEAR. It's a new year. I also feel that almost any team in the nation loses that game last year. To have a starter and a major part of your game plan disappear within 2 minutes of tip for the rest of the season sent shockwaves across the whole roster and forced the staff to create a whole new, completely different game plan on the spot. It was a horrible ordeal. I bet almost none of these people mentioned the Killian injury and its consequences.

Both GU and FSU need to make it there first. FSU isn't playing a cake walk against Vermont.

All I'm saying is that I hope that both Tillie and Petrusev get some playing time in the first game. Their height and length will likely be required