Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Fairleigh Dickinson (NCAA R1) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

zags 82-68....I like their coach, he doesn't whine or complain...went thru a health crises last year that put life in perspective and those two energizer bunnies at guard are great fun to watch...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 03-20-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Margin narrows due to bench clearing and late 3s a la Pepperdine.

Zags 90
    FDU 67
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Fairleigh Dickinson ranks #5 in 3 point shooting, with 41% ( 3 - M 254 3 - A 629 )

Gonzaga 89

Fairleigh Dickinson 68
    I could see FDU catching a hot streak. Their 2 guards have nice, quick, smooth releases. No surprise their 3pt is 40+%.

It wasn't their 3pt which impressed me, yet their size and athleticism. Strong and athletic post player who rebounds well, can offer put back points, yet not the best hands. When he secures a rebound though, there is no stopping his aggressive put backs. I believe he drew 3 "and 1's" last night.

Their two guards operate well together. They know how to find each other for open looks, and the bigs do a decent job passing back out for open 3's, on long rebounds or quick cuts. Their PG is 5'10", yet extremely quick, good ball handler, and confident making plays in the lane. Their shooting guard is a pure shooter and sets up well to receive passes and hits every one of his open looks.

Darnell Edge shot 91/188 from 3pt (48%). One of the purest shooters in the sport.

Mike Holloway is 6'8", 245lbs, had 14 rebs last night, and tons of offensive put backs.

4 of their 5 starters all shoot really well from 3pt, and pretty much play all 40 mins. FDU bench totaled 13 mins combined. Fatigue could become a factor by the 10 min mark in 2nd half.

They out-rebound most of their competition by a good margin, and generally shoot more FT's, although they are TO prone, surprisingly they aren't from their guards yet their forwards.

FDU dominated PVA&M for the most part, score was closer than the stats indicate. FDU can ball. Their guards are quick and can stroke it, and their forwards are big enough to compete vs most squads in the paint. We need to really extend our defense and be aware of 3pt shooters. Kispert not need to worry about dribble drive on his man and everyone else's as their wing/SF is ready to shoot not drive it. He will still sag a few feet off his man, yet hopefully less this game.

Their guards penetrate, mostly the quick PG who plays exactly like Jordan Ford of SMC. And their bigs can make plays on the glass, finding the guards, and getting put back points. It may take time to adjust to them. Perkins may struggle containing Jenkins, and Crandall will be utilized early on to limit his effectiveness. Norvell is pretty solid at containing shooters, especially 2nd half of season, his matchup with Edge will be a battle as he finds pockets in the defense.

I do think we'll have trouble stopping FDU, especially early on. The good news, I can't see how they can remotely defense us. We should score 90+ in this one, unless they pull a St Mary's, and they are at least built a lot like them, and style of play is similar with fast/quick lead guard, good shooting guards, and 1 or 2 legit bigs who do just enough scoring and rebounding to make a difference. Their pace is a bit different and FDU won't have enough practice time to run shot clocks to 4 seconds before trying to score (that is incredibly hard to do as an offense and for players to stay engaged as well).

Its the Tourney, so I doubt its a 40 pt blow out, but I'd expect 92 - 72 type of score. FDU can shoot, and if they are hot, who knows how we'll respond.

Zags 83 FD 69
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

FD had a tough emotional win. They fly from Dayton to SLC, get ONE practice and face a well rested Zags team who is itching to wash the SMC loss off of them. Tired FD team at elevation against #1 Zags.

This one is NOT CLOSE.

Zags will pound the ball inside repeatedly and abuse them on the glass. FD hits 10+ 3s to keep it interesting.

Zags - 88
    FD - 68

FDU has honestly not played anyone of substance. Rutgers is the closest and thy got boat run by them. I suspect they'll try to go into a half-court offense and look for 3s. I suspect the Zags D will be stout and will use that and get into transition and open a good lead. I would LOVE to see the Zags press from the tip on... Make the starters work real hard for every possesion to wear them out.

Zags 95
    FDU 60
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    FDU has honestly not played anyone of substance. Rutgers is the closest and thy got boat run by them. I suspect they'll try to go into a half-court offense and look for 3s. I suspect the Zags D will be stout and will use that and get into transition and open a good lead. I would LOVE to see the Zags press from the tip on... Make the starters work real hard for every possesion to wear them out.

Zags 95
    FDU 60
    Sounds good to me...I think the Zags are going to send a message in the aftermath of the SMC clunker...Zags 105, FD 56

Zags 91
    FDU 62

I'm looking forward to the first game of the NCAA Tournament. Just one more day. Happy they Zags got a #1 seed. I'm excited to see our team play the way they know how so they can show America how good they are. Looking forward to watching Rui do his thing, and gazing in awe as Clarke blocks another shot. I'm hoping to see good defense.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I was so impressed with FDU last night. They match up very nicely with the Zags with two athletic bigs and two guards that can score and make plays plus they are on a roll right now. The other thought is that the Zags win every first round game but don't necessarily play well in the opener.

My prediction: Gonzaga 63 - FDU 58

Zags 101
    FDU 65

Blow out in round 1!

Zags - 86
    FDU - 64

Knights - 63
    Zags - 99

Go Zags - Beat the Knights!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I was so impressed with FDU last night. They match up very nicely with the Zags with two athletic bigs and two guards that can score and make plays plus they are on a roll right now. The other thought is that the Zags win every first round game but don't necessarily play well in the opener.

My prediction: Gonzaga 63 - FDU 58
    Really? If its that close I better monitor my heart rate. I will be a nervous wreck!

Blow out city baby! Seriously though. A 40 point win is more than possible. They have two good guards thats it. Stop dribble penetration and this game is over. Their bigs are turrible. PV A&M had no size whatsoever and FDU still couldn't take advantage of that.
    The big for FDU has Burger King hands. Seriously watch the game and look at his hands. I'm positive thats why he has so much trouble hanging on to the ball. Nothing against him but we will outrebound this team pretty easy. we will turn them over for easy buckets and we will dominate them in the paint.
    They may have to really sag low to prevent entry passes which would lead to a lot of threes.
    I think this one will be over pretty early. Especially if FDU turns it over at the start like they did in their first game. Trepidation over this game is unwarranted.

Gu 97-63

Zags win 92-60

Zags 98-62

95-57 Gonzaga

88 zags
    64 knights
    (and really not that close)

In an interview after the game, their star (Edge) said their goal was to win one game in the tournament. He sounded satisfied that they had done that. I don’t get the impression they harbor any thoughts they can actually win.

PS- I love Crandall, but the thread about him starting because someone is worried about one good shooter from a team that is #203 in the net rankings, is just ridiculous. Other teams game plan for us and that is precisely why we are where we are. The days of us having to insert a gimmick (Zags never really did) to win are long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fairleigh Dickinson head coach Greg Herenda on the matchup with No. 1 #Gonzaga:

“We know it’s going to be hard, but we’re hard to guard. We’re going out there to win a basketball game.

But now with the three-point line, it’s hard to guard Jahlil. It’s hard to guard Darnell. We’ve got to defend better, we’ve got to rebound better – but we’re going out there to win a basketball game. I’m not thinking about a 16-1. I’m thinking about stops and rebounds and execution on offense. That’s the only way you can think about it and you go from there.”
    Their guards are a tough guard as they are lightning quick and both can stroke it. Our guys have to be plugged in or will get burned from 3pt line or to the rim. Fortunately we have Clarke and Rui back there, but they can still shoot and pass at a high clip.

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/art...ey-win-magical

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZag View Post
    Other teams game plan for us and that is precisely why we are where we are. The days of us having to insert a gimmick (Zags never really did) to win are long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Completely agree that the days of using a gimmick are gone, but that is indeed what the Zags did for their first NCAA tournament victory. Monson, Few and Grier used a diamond and one defense against Minnesota, with Q Hall hawking Quincy Lewis.

Zags 88
    FD 46

I think we see Crandell and Tillie show out in the this game.

Just need to keep focus on the two guards and FDU will be in trouble.

Zags - 85
    FDU - 60

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Just need to keep focus on the two guards and FDU will be in trouble.

Zags - 85
    FDU - 60
    Gonzaga by 42

102 to 60.

Zags 90
    FDU - 63

Game wont even be that close. Zags put in subs and let starters rest mid way through second half.

Tillie raining down the threes.

GO ZAGS