Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL GAME THREAD = FIRST FOUR, MARCH 19 FROM DAYTON

Default OFFICIAL GAME THREAD = FIRST FOUR, MARCH 19 FROM DAYTON

All times PT:

3:40pm = (16) Prairie View A&M vs. (16) Farleigh Dickinson, TruTV (winner takes on the Zags)

approx. 6:10pm = (11) Temple vs. (11) Belmont, TruTV

TruTV is Comcast channel #705 in Spokane.

Don't know about our opponent.

I do know I hope Belmont wins!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Kind of fun to scout the first-4 match up for our first game Thursday. Though I'm sure coaches would rather have only 1 team to scout instead of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Kind of fun to scout the first-4 match up for our first game Thursday. Though I'm sure coaches would rather have only 1 team to scout instead of 2.
    split duties one assistant gets one team another assistant gets the other team

meanwhile others starting in on Syracuse and Baylor
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I just had the fear of god run through my spine. We downsized cable a while back. Went with the college sports cable package, had all the news channels, and a bunch of others, but I lost Science Channel, History Channel, Smithsonian channel, IOW my few favs. I worried we'd cut Tru, TBS, and I'd have never noticed, prior to madness that is.

We have it.

Major relief.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Who are we rooting for in this game - who do we want to face?

I wonder why Dayton?

Not dissing Dayton. And I see why they have it in a mid-size city, make it a big deal.

I see why they have all four at same place. Makes it easier on TV.

But, why not Missoula? Reno? Ogden?

Why not rotate "regions" with a place not hosting the tourney?

Mobile, Monroe, El Paso ….

Seems like it would be fun.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I wonder why Dayton?

Not dissing Dayton. And I see why they have it in a mid-size city, make it a big deal.

I see why they have all four at same place. Makes it easier on TV.

But, why not Missoula? Reno? Ogden?

Why not rotate "regions" with a place not hosting the tourney?

Mobile, Monroe, El Paso ….

Seems like it would be fun.
    It's because Dayton has always supported the Play In game(s) and has embraced it from the very beginning. Back when it was just a play in game with 16 seeds, the games were a total sell out. Very few cities in this country would provide that kind of support to those sorts of teams. According to the NCAA, no other cities really have much interest. The Dayton crowd is better than any other NCAA tournament subregional site. Dayton LOVES their basketball. My gripe is that they don't get to host subregionals as much because of their dedication to hosting the first four.

It's almost sort of on the middle of the map. Lastly, I think from a logistical point of view the NCAA wants it to be the same city every year. It's just easier to do it that way. The University of Dayton Arena is also the perfect size for the games. Not too big, but big enough. I don't think you'll ever see it moved unless the arena gets torn down or remodeled. Their citizens are to be commended. You watch many of these first weekend games, and the venues are half full. Dayton people cheer on the 16 seeds like it's Duke and UNC.

I believe (part) of the reason is it is more centrally located to the majority of sub-regionals.

(edit: typing over the top of CDC).
    But we don't play nobody.

Who are we rooting for in this game - who do we want to face?
    Personally, I want FD ... though PV A&M likes to play at our pace.
    So many brackets, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's because Dayton has always supported the Play In game(s) and has embraced it from the very beginning. Back when it was just a play in game with 16 seeds, the games were a total sell out. Very few cities in this country would provide that kind of support to those sorts of teams. According to the NCAA, no other cities really have much interest. The Dayton crowd is better than any other NCAA tournament subregional site. Dayton LOVES their basketball. My gripe is that they don't get to host subregionals as much because of their dedication to hosting the first four.

It's almost sort of on the middle of the map. Lastly, I think from a logistical point of view the NCAA wants it to be the same city every year. It's just easier to do it that way. The University of Dayton Arena is also the perfect size for the games. Not too big, but big enough. I don't think you'll ever see it moved unless the arena gets torn down or remodeled. Their citizens are to be commended. You watch many of these first weekend games, and the venues are half full. Dayton people cheer on the 16 seeds like it's Duke and UNC. .
    Fair enough.

It seems to me that some smaller cities would embrace it, too. Though, I suppose they have folks smarter than me who've thought of it and run the numbers.

*Okay, another great thing about March Madness: The Spike Lee, Samuel Jackson, and Barkley commercials. The ones in the car, with the millionaires pretending to drive to the games were classic. But all are funny.
    Mark Twain.

Looking for a 4 OT instant classic in the first game.
    Mark Twain.

It's funny that you mention Ogden Dixie, because the NCAA tournament used to REGULARLY award Ogden NCAA tournament subregionals. The Dee Events Center seats 11,592. It might be seen as too small now.

I am sure the NCAA with their hypocritical stance on gambling would object to any NCAA tournament event being held in a gambling city like Reno. Plus, Lawlor is about the exact same size as the Dee Events Center. I wonder if their stance will change with the city of Vegas building their dome for the Raiders. Vegas is obviously an ideal final four city in terms of infrastructure.

They seem to want to stage these events in cities that have a certain population level. Dayton's metro/urban area is like around 750K.

I wish they would bring more games to college campuses, but they have so many stipulations now. The Pit in ABQ, one of the five greatest college basketball venues in this nation (and the site of possibly the most famous play in the history of the game at any level), will never host a NCAA tournament again because there is not enough space between the floor and the seats after the latest remodel, and they do not have a removable floor. It's bull. They also only have one ramp from the floor. Tingley Coliseum at the fairgrounds is an aging dump. But man, why doesn't a legendary place like Allen Fieldhouse ever get to host a subregional. It's plenty big. They probably don't have the infrastructure. I was told that even the relatively brand new hockey arena in the city of Pittsburgh was ill-equipped for staging their recent subregional. You have 8 teams (and all their staff people) and hoards of media who need access to the players and coaches in a press room but also in the locker rooms. I guess it is a major production to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's funny that you mention Ogden Dixie, because the NCAA tournament used to REGULARLY award Ogden NCAA tournament subregionals. The Dee Events Center seats 11,592. It might be seen as too small now.

I am sure the NCAA with their hypocritical stance on gambling would object to any NCAA tournament event being held in a gambling city like Reno. Plus, Lawlor is about the exact same size as the Dee Events Center. I wonder if their stance will change with the city of Vegas building their dome for the Raiders. Vegas is obviously an ideal final four city in terms of infrastructure.

They seem to want to stage these events in cities that have a certain population level. Dayton's metro/urban area is like around 750K.

I wish they would bring more games to college campuses, but they have so many stipulations now. The Pit in ABQ, one of the five greatest college basketball venues in this nation (and the site of possibly the most famous play in the history of the game at any level), will never host a NCAA tournament again because there is not enough space between the floor and the seats after the latest remodel, and they do not have a removable floor. It's bull. They also only have one ramp from the floor. Tingley Coliseum at the fairgrounds is an aging dump. But man, why doesn't a legendary place like Allen Fieldhouse ever get to host a subregional. It's plenty big. They probably don't have the infrastructure. I was told that even the relatively brand new hockey arena in the city of Pittsburgh was ill-equipped for staging their recent subregional. You have 8 teams (and all their staff people) and hoards of media who need access to the players and coaches in a press room but also in the locker rooms. I guess it is a major production to put together.
    Funny enough, I actually saw a regional in Ogden. It is a great arena to watch basketball.

I saw Never Nervous Pervis Ellison of Louisville.

And saw North Carolina almostlose to an undermanned Utah team that had a frosh 6'9 center who played out of his mind.

We saw another year of games in Ogden, though I don't remember the teams near as well, at all, actually.
    Mark Twain.

I'm not able to watch right now but I see it's 19-6 -yikes! How's prairie looking?

I confess that I'd rather not see a team (Prairie View) hit every 3 they take.
    Mark Twain.

I'm not able to watch right now but I see it's 19-6 -yikes! How's prairie looking?
    Hit a lot of 3s early but missed a couple now.

Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Hit a lot of 3s early but missed a couple now.

I'll pass on the team that takes a lot of 3's.

Just upgraded my cable so I can watch.

WCC/PAC REF Kevin Brill (the one with hair!) working this game.
    But we don't play nobody.

Neither of these teams will give us a serious threat. Turnovers galore, no inside play at all.

Prairie View plays FAST, although relatively speaking, it will be like when we tried to run with FSU last year = fail.

No one is slowing down Clarke or Rui on either team.

FDU likes to SHOOT. and fearless doing so.

Both teams have made tough shots thus far, Fairleigh more athletic than I anticipated, and A&M play faster than I realized.

I like that FDU zones a lot, at least it'd help prepare for Baylor (1-3-1 zone 80%), and Cuse (2-3 roving zone 100%).

Both teams shooting over 40% from 3pt. A&M is 6-9 from 3pt.

FDU shoots 40% 3pt as team on the season.

Fairleigh has a big guy who is same size as Clarke. Big kid, rebounds pretty well

Prairie View snappy with those triggers.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right