Thread: Mentality going into the Tournament

Default Mentality going into the Tournament

That question was posed in the post game interview (Duke/FSU) to Zion. He said "Killers Kill". I think our whole team needs this message, what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaga View Post
    That question was posed in the post game interview (Duke/FSU) to Zion. He said "Killers Kill". I think our whole team needs this message, what say you?
    I might prefer Ballers ball, but yeah. I get it.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Play like it's your last chance. Because it is.

I don't like the word kill. And I don't believe it's necessary. I didn't like it when I heard Zion say it. And I don't like teams who play that way. I played basketball in D-1 and believe me it's a rough and tough game as it is. The biggest difference between high school ball and D-1 is the size and meanness of some players who do play to kill you. Zion is a huge young man who is very tough as it is. with an attitude of Killers kill, I hope refs keep a good eye on him. If I had been reffing the game yesterday I'd have had Zion on the bench early. He was so close to hurting players. Basketball was created with rules to protect players. I hope the refs do just that. Enough players get hurt as it is.

I was a tough basketball player, and my toughness was always a good thing for any team I played on. But I never ever thought about hurting someone, and especially I didn't think about killing them. I really like Tennesse, and especially like the Williams on THAT team. I thoroughly enjoyed watching a player his size totally take over a game and turn a hopeless loss into a fabulous win. I hope I get the thrill of watching him play against Zion. And I also love how Gonzaga dealt with him. When he knocked Crandall to the floor on a blocked shot, the next time down court I saw Clarke and Rui knock him on his backside. Neither Clarke or Rui ever backed down from him or the other star freshman, and in the end it was our defense and our toughness that won that game. But people sure seem to have forgotten that game. Clarke is every bit as tough as King Zion. And I have no fear at all if we get to play them again. No do I fear any team we play. The Zags are not killers, but they sure are tough.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Be the Hunter, not the Hunted......................

Let's play like it's 1999 (apologies to Prince for the poor paraphrasing).

Go ZAGS

Well said. Its a shame that the Dukes and UNC's of this world get passes on their rough play which would otherwise draw fouls. On the other side, the refs tried to take Gonzaga out of the final game against UNC by calling unnecessary early fouls against us and I definitely saw this when they played Illinois in the finals years earlier. Yes this does happen as you know. The NBA somehow swept the reffing scandal under the rug when it should have crippled the league.

Yes 1999 the year I got hooked on the Zags their approach to the game,"eye of the tiger" 110% all out attack mode.a unrelenting attack on the rim...……..have I missed anything?...…..I wish I could help!

Default Numb

Thumbs up

Play tough, asphalt court, no net, no refs, no fans, playing for pride street basketball.

PS. Like Auburn is doing right now! Keep it up. Go Burn!

Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    Well said. Its a shame that the Dukes and UNC's of this world get passes on their rough play which would otherwise draw fouls. On the other side, the refs tried to take Gonzaga out of the final game against UNC by calling unnecessary early fouls against us and I definitely saw this when they played Illinois in the finals years earlier. Yes this does happen as you know. The NBA somehow swept the reffing scandal under the rug when it should have crippled the league.
    I still think the poor officiating that game...especially weak foul calls against Zach Collins cost us a National Championship and I’m not one to normally blame officials. In my opinion he was the best player on the court that day and UNC had no answer for him when he was in the game. Unfortunately due to fouls he wasn’t in the game long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing this team needs to do that the other two number one seeds didn't do is come out and "act like a #1 seed" from the opening tip. If Gonzaga can annihilate WCC teams who I am convinced are better than the 16 GU will be facing in round 1, there is no reason why GU should be headed to the locker room after the 1st half with anything less than 20 point lead, with the lead being extended to 30 by the early part of the 2nd half. The team needs to gain confidence after the SMC loss. They also need to send a message to Syracuse or Baylor that Gonzaga is not emotionally vulnerable entering the 2nd round. I know that the 2017 team eventually "put away" South Dakota State, but it took too long. I also question is that SDSU team really should've been given a 16 seed. But still, Gonzaga needs to come out Thursday and make a statement. Get back to the hotel and prep for round 2.

Totally true, CDC. Great post. Act like a #1 seed. Be all business. Not cocky during warm ups. Put down the pedal! Geez, we have Rui, Brandon, Zach, Josh and others. Come on boys, time to go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Be the Hunter, not the Hunted......................

Let's play like it's 1999 (apologies to Prince for the poor paraphrasing).

Go ZAGS
    This
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Some guys have that "killer" mentality in boxing. They burn bright and fast. Dempsey, Tyson, etc. But it's the guys that are more poised and respectful of their opponents that have longer, better outcomes.

Go take what is yours.
    Ammo nails it like a baseline jumper.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    ... Zion is a huge young man who is very tough as it is. with an attitude of Killers kill, I hope refs keep a good eye on him. If I had been reffing the game yesterday I'd have had Zion on the bench early. He was so close to hurting players.

Go Zags!!!
    ...I believe Zion is talking about having that "killer" mentality...I see nothing wrong with that sentiment...and I don't know what game you are talking about but I have not seen any signs of Zion trying to hurt anyone...he is big and strong and fast and when he collides with smaller players they do take a tumble.....but I think I've seen more players trying to hurt Zion than the other way around....the guy is a really good basketball player...some of his passes and court awareness are very impressive!!
    Last edited by GeorgiaZagFan; 03-18-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: update content
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Water the bamboo

Zion is a killer, dude has fire, drive and skills

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The thing this team needs to do that the other two number one seeds didn't do is come out and "act like a #1 seed" from the opening tip. If Gonzaga can annihilate WCC teams who I am convinced are better than the 16 GU will be facing in round 1, there is no reason why GU should be headed to the locker room after the 1st half with anything less than 20 point lead, with the lead being extended to 30 by the early part of the 2nd half. The team needs to gain confidence after the SMC loss. They also need to send a message to Syracuse or Baylor that Gonzaga is not emotionally vulnerable entering the 2nd round. I know that the 2017 team eventually "put away" South Dakota State, but it took too long. I also question is that SDSU team really should've been given a 16 seed. But still, Gonzaga needs to come out Thursday and make a statement. Get back to the hotel and prep for round 2.
    I have said the exact same thing in threads. Because of the SMC loss, the pressure in that first half is on them, or doubt sets in. And even winning that first game, if it isn't convincingly, the doubts will grow. I say that despite Pangos' team struggling against North Dakota in the first round then destroying Iowa.

We need a MaClellan year type of first 2 games, neither game was ever in doubt.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I really like Tennesse, and especially like the Williams on THAT team. I thoroughly enjoyed watching a player his size totally take over a game and turn a hopeless loss into a fabulous win. I hope I get the thrill of watching him play against Zion.

Go Zags!!!
    No offense, but I don't want to see those two Williams play each other. They could only do that in the championship game. I'm hoping for a different outcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaga View Post
    Heck no!
    Adam Morrison gave the right mentality for this team: "Go out there with your brothers and take what you deserve!" (I added the exclamation point.)

Zion is Duke's hired hand making time before the NBA stardom so he takes a mercenary approach. Gonzaga is a team of guys that have been to the trenches together. Even BC has put in more than a year towards this moment. They are a team that makes the extra pass and work as a whole rather than a team of individuals. Play like brothers and win like brothers.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by titopoet View Post
    Heck no!
    Adam Morrison gave the right mentality for this team: "Go out there with your brothers and take what you deserve!" (I added the exclamation point.)

Zion is Duke's hired hand making time before the NBA stardom so he takes a mercenary approach. Gonzaga is a team of guys that have been to the trenches together. Even BC has put in more than a year towards this moment. They are a team that makes the extra pass and work as a whole rather than a team of individuals. Play like brothers and win like brothers.
    OK then....how about like a Seal Team which are elite. A mindset that is focussed, precise and operate as one unit...with purpose and force to accomplish the mission as brothers who are wiling to lay it all down on the court. This is what I was thinking when Zion made his comment...

Go Zags!

Come-on, it was a metaphor, but I have no doubt, Zion will leave it all on the floor.
    If the Zags play with that mental approach they will win it all.