Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: WCC Related

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,603

    Default WCC Related

    kenpom has SMC as only a 1 point loser to Nova.


    USD in NIT.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    kenpom has SMC as only a 1 point loser to Nova.


    USD in NIT.
    USD playing Memphis on Tuesday at 5 PM - in Memphis - tough game.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Zag Nation, baybee!
    Posts
    222

    Default

    If this is the WCC thread ----------------- San Diego got the NIT bid and the Dons got screwed. How do they get left out?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    LMU is playing in the CBI. @Cal Baptist on 3/20 at 7pm.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    55,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    If this is the WCC thread ----------------- San Diego got the NIT bid and the Dons got screwed. How do they get left out?
    And how did BYU get left out too?? Pretty shocking to me that the #8 conference gets three total teams into the NCAA & NIT.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    49

    Default

    NIT didnt take BYU - BYU announced they wouldn't play in any tournament...according to a twitter post I saw.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,093

    Default

    I bet the league office is not happy that SMC and GU will be playing at the same time. At this time of year, unless you really hate a league team or you're facing a league team, you tend to root for each other.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I bet the league office is not happy that SMC and GU will be playing at the same time. At this time of year, unless you really hate a league team or you're facing a league team, you tend to root for each other.
    No chance I root for smc. Hope Nova pounds them

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sandy Eggo CA
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Why? The Gaels, with a brilliant game plan, beat us straight up. Are you saying that you want Villanova to demonstrate to the world that, yes indeed, Gonzaga this year, and every year previous, and forever after, is always grossly overrated, a fraud? Time to rethink things, pal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Time to set aside the antipathy for the Gaels. Every game they play earns the WCC a "share" which is about $1.6M spread over several (5?) years. Shares are distributed to all WCC teams including us, so every game they play gets us something like $25K per year for ~5 years.

    So "Go WCC", though I don't see them getting past 'Nova anyway

    No idea how NIT pays out but I think USD can take Memphis even on the road.

    USF lost their last 4 in a row which sealed their fate. Too bad, they had a good season going before that. BYU lost 2 of their last 3 including 2 blowouts to USD and GU. Maybe they were just trying to avoid some further embarrassment by sitting out the post-season. If Utah State beats UW, does that make Rose's seat even hotter?

    ZZ

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Why? The Gaels, with a brilliant game plan, beat us straight up. Are you saying that you want Villanova to demonstrate to the world that, yes indeed, Gonzaga this year, and every year previous, and forever after, is always grossly overrated, a fraud? Time to rethink things, pal.
    Or we could just win our games to prove we are not a fraud instead of relying on SMC to prove it for us? I hope SMC loses too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Time to set aside the antipathy for the Gaels. Every game they play earns the WCC a "share" which is about $1.6M spread over several (5?) years. Shares are distributed to all WCC teams including us, so every game they play gets us something like $25K per year for ~5 years.

    So "Go WCC", though I don't see them getting past 'Nova anyway

    No idea how NIT pays out but I think USD can take Memphis even on the road.

    USF lost their last 4 in a row which sealed their fate. Too bad, they had a good season going before that. BYU lost 2 of their last 3 including 2 blowouts to USD and GU. Maybe they were just trying to avoid some further embarrassment by sitting out the post-season. If Utah State beats UW, does that make Rose's seat even hotter?

    ZZ
    Based on the tens of millions Gonzaga has generated for the conference and the relative lack of progress that has been made as a result, I don’t think a few extra dollars is enough to make a difference. And definitely not enough to make it worth rooting for randy bennett.

    When I played sports in college I sure as heck didn’t root for the rest of the conference, really don’t get this mindset.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,603

    Default

    Tough crowd.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    No chance I root for smc. Hope Nova pounds them
    Me too. I actually have always been a nova fan and i hate st mary

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,093

    Default

    Well at the very least, some people would actually like to see the game as they are a WCC team. Maybe you can watch the game and root for SMC to get pounded?

    It's not like the WCC is a league that will ever get six teams in every year. I have to believe the commish and the other folks in San Bruno are not happy. Even if St. Mary's played in the morning, they'd prefer it so that both teams had their own time slot to showcase the league.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Tough crowd.
    Yeah. I don’t get it. I’m definitely rooting for the Gaels. A good showing in the tourney by another WCC team is nothing but good for Zags.

    Some in ZagNation May be taking an annual tourney bid for granted. As soon as next season Zags could quite possibly be a bubble team hoping the committee respects their conference enough to give them an at-large bid.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    kenpom has SMC as only a 1 point loser to Nova.
    Let’s hope for a repeat of the outcome from the last NCAA meeting between these teams.



    From the Washington Post.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    Or we could just win our games to prove we are not a fraud instead of relying on SMC to prove it for us? I hope SMC loses too.
    Bingo!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,333

    Default

    I guess I don't get the total hatred of SMC. I really don't. The Samhan years... ok... maybe.

    You can sit there and say.. well all this money hasn't made a difference... yadda... yadda... yadda. JMHO, that is a simplistic way of looking at it. What the WCC needs to do, besides spending more money on their programs, is to step up recruiting to bring in higher caliber players. Kids are going to want to see a conference that puts teams in to the tourney and win some games here and there. Did wonders for the Zags. You want to whine and moan about the conference not being up to par... fine... don't completely disagree with you on it. But if that is what you want, why in God's name would you root against the conference when it's profile nationally among recruits has a chance to improve?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,512

    Default

    Count me in as a St Mary’s fan. I’m an underdog kinda guy and they check all the boxes.
    I respect that they have built a program that can challenge Gonzaga at times.
    I’ve always been a Nova fan (1986 the ultimate underdog) but I’m pulling the the Gaels to win and advance.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    WCC teams winning in the post season legitimizes the WCC and thus diminishes the argument against Gonzaga playing in a weak conference. That, and the $$ helps...so I'll pull for conference teams to win.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    I’ll cheer for the Gaels.

    Agree, somewhat odd that USF is out while USD is in. I guess they put a lot of weight on recent games.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Go Zags, Go Gaels! Go WCC!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CDA - The distillery of pure Zaga!
    Posts
    530

    Default

    I hope the Gaels win. If they play like they did against us they will advance.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    7,872

    Default

    Go Gaels! I am a fan for their tourney run.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •