Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WCC Related

Default WCC Related

kenpom has SMC as only a 1 point loser to Nova.

USD in NIT.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

USD in NIT.
    USD playing Memphis on Tuesday at 5 PM - in Memphis - tough game.

If this is the WCC thread ----------------- San Diego got the NIT bid and the Dons got screwed. How do they get left out?

LMU is playing in the CBI. @Cal Baptist on 3/20 at 7pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    If this is the WCC thread ----------------- San Diego got the NIT bid and the Dons got screwed. How do they get left out?
    And how did BYU get left out too?? Pretty shocking to me that the #8 conference gets three total teams into the NCAA & NIT.

NIT didnt take BYU - BYU announced they wouldn't play in any tournament...according to a twitter post I saw.

I bet the league office is not happy that SMC and GU will be playing at the same time. At this time of year, unless you really hate a league team or you're facing a league team, you tend to root for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I bet the league office is not happy that SMC and GU will be playing at the same time. At this time of year, unless you really hate a league team or you're facing a league team, you tend to root for each other.
    No chance I root for smc. Hope Nova pounds them

Why? The Gaels, with a brilliant game plan, beat us straight up. Are you saying that you want Villanova to demonstrate to the world that, yes indeed, Gonzaga this year, and every year previous, and forever after, is always grossly overrated, a fraud? Time to rethink things, pal.

Time to set aside the antipathy for the Gaels. Every game they play earns the WCC a "share" which is about $1.6M spread over several (5?) years. Shares are distributed to all WCC teams including us, so every game they play gets us something like $25K per year for ~5 years.

So "Go WCC", though I don't see them getting past 'Nova anyway

No idea how NIT pays out but I think USD can take Memphis even on the road.

USF lost their last 4 in a row which sealed their fate. Too bad, they had a good season going before that. BYU lost 2 of their last 3 including 2 blowouts to USD and GU. Maybe they were just trying to avoid some further embarrassment by sitting out the post-season. If Utah State beats UW, does that make Rose's seat even hotter?

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Why? The Gaels, with a brilliant game plan, beat us straight up. Are you saying that you want Villanova to demonstrate to the world that, yes indeed, Gonzaga this year, and every year previous, and forever after, is always grossly overrated, a fraud? Time to rethink things, pal.
    Or we could just win our games to prove we are not a fraud instead of relying on SMC to prove it for us? I hope SMC loses too.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Time to set aside the antipathy for the Gaels. Every game they play earns the WCC a "share" which is about $1.6M spread over several (5?) years. Shares are distributed to all WCC teams including us, so every game they play gets us something like $25K per year for ~5 years.

So "Go WCC", though I don't see them getting past 'Nova anyway

No idea how NIT pays out but I think USD can take Memphis even on the road.

USF lost their last 4 in a row which sealed their fate. Too bad, they had a good season going before that. BYU lost 2 of their last 3 including 2 blowouts to USD and GU. Maybe they were just trying to avoid some further embarrassment by sitting out the post-season. If Utah State beats UW, does that make Rose's seat even hotter?

ZZ
    Based on the tens of millions Gonzaga has generated for the conference and the relative lack of progress that has been made as a result, I don’t think a few extra dollars is enough to make a difference. And definitely not enough to make it worth rooting for randy bennett.

When I played sports in college I sure as heck didn’t root for the rest of the conference, really don’t get this mindset.

Tough crowd.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    No chance I root for smc. Hope Nova pounds them
    Me too. I actually have always been a nova fan and i hate st mary

Well at the very least, some people would actually like to see the game as they are a WCC team. Maybe you can watch the game and root for SMC to get pounded?

It's not like the WCC is a league that will ever get six teams in every year. I have to believe the commish and the other folks in San Bruno are not happy. Even if St. Mary's played in the morning, they'd prefer it so that both teams had their own time slot to showcase the league.

Tough crowd.
    Yeah. I don’t get it. I’m definitely rooting for the Gaels. A good showing in the tourney by another WCC team is nothing but good for Zags.

Some in ZagNation May be taking an annual tourney bid for granted. As soon as next season Zags could quite possibly be a bubble team hoping the committee respects their conference enough to give them an at-large bid.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Let’s hope for a repeat of the outcome from the last NCAA meeting between these teams.

From the Washington Post.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    Or we could just win our games to prove we are not a fraud instead of relying on SMC to prove it for us? I hope SMC loses too.
    Bingo!

I guess I don't get the total hatred of SMC. I really don't. The Samhan years... ok... maybe.

You can sit there and say.. well all this money hasn't made a difference... yadda... yadda... yadda. JMHO, that is a simplistic way of looking at it. What the WCC needs to do, besides spending more money on their programs, is to step up recruiting to bring in higher caliber players. Kids are going to want to see a conference that puts teams in to the tourney and win some games here and there. Did wonders for the Zags. You want to whine and moan about the conference not being up to par... fine... don't completely disagree with you on it. But if that is what you want, why in God's name would you root against the conference when it's profile nationally among recruits has a chance to improve?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Count me in as a St Mary’s fan. I’m an underdog kinda guy and they check all the boxes.
    I respect that they have built a program that can challenge Gonzaga at times.
    I’ve always been a Nova fan (1986 the ultimate underdog) but I’m pulling the the Gaels to win and advance.

WCC teams winning in the post season legitimizes the WCC and thus diminishes the argument against Gonzaga playing in a weak conference. That, and the $$ helps...so I'll pull for conference teams to win.

I’ll cheer for the Gaels.

Agree, somewhat odd that USF is out while USD is in. I guess they put a lot of weight on recent games.

Go Zags, Go Gaels! Go WCC!

I hope the Gaels win. If they play like they did against us they will advance.

Go Gaels! I am a fan for their tourney run.