Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selection Sunday Check-In: How We Feeling ZagNation?

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I've said all season, we are ONE 250lb player away from an Elite 8.

The E8 is the Pinnacle me, as its 1 vs 2 seed fighting for a small chance to make a Final 4, wirh potential to face other 1 seeds. That is gravy. Making the Elite 8 is what you hope for, a Final 4 is like winning the lotterry or hitting a jackpot. The stats are against everyone yet sometimes you break through.

I do feel this a 2nd wkend team, yet one bruiser short of advancing to an Elite 8. It is needed at that point, mostly for defense/rebounding.

Unless crazy upsets happen, we will be facing legit size in the paint by the Sweet 16.

The moment we see a 6'9 or 6"10", 255lb post, like so many of these top teams feature, I feel Clarke and Rui will be stymied and simply unable to stop it.

I have repeated it all season. We are a highly athletic finesse frontcourt which has only struggled when faced with big bigs with muscle and motor.

We had one 2 years ago, and the good news is we have 2 coming next season (who will be beasts in time).

Some will point to inconsistent guard depth, or defense at the wing, or streaky shooting from perimeter, but our primary weakness is offensive rebounding as a result of our biggest if only 230lbs, in turn effecting our post defense vs big bigs.

Sweet 16 is our ceiling without a single true post player. We are projecting as a 2 seed in numerous brackets, thus we would play a 3 seed in S16.

Current 3 seeds are: LSU, Purdue, Florida St, & Houston. The first 3 all feature guys 260+lbs underneath the hoop, and athletic. Who would defend or "pound" with those teams?

A single 250lb big away from the next tier, especially this year.

I mean even the 4 seeds are: K State (Big 12 Champs), Kansas, Texas Tech, Wisconsin.

I hope we can secure a 1 seed...the 3 seeds are much better than the 4 seeds this yr, and less size in the middle.
    I’ve made about the same case citing what FSU did to us with 9 deep depth and bruisin’ bigs at the dance last year. Also said we’re a “flow team” that just doesn’t like ‘in your face’ D on the perimeter and big, physical bigs pushing us around and getting in the way of our superior athleticism inside.

I fear street ball, asphalt court, no net, no ref teams in the tourney a lot more than I fear teams that play, or try to play our flowing, athletic game.

If the Zags can get mad, dig deep, get in the gutter and play like no one’s watching they can go deep.

Maybe Zach “Chicago Town” Norvell can give a speech!

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    All this press and debate on Gonzaga a 1 or 2 seed is good imho.

The front page of NCAAM ESPN page currently has 2 dedicated videos discussing Zags 1 or 2 seed chances, and who will "steal" the 1 from Zags after today, followed by s picture of Rui & Clarke as the leading story, "Toughest questions the NCAA Committee will face".

Last week we were a lock for 1 seed, which wouldn't have garnered as much press, attention, debate, etc.

We are talking about GONZAGA as a borderline 1 seed, maybe a 2 seed. It's all over very major sports news site right now.

Tons of attention and discussion, good for the program going forward.
    RTZ, I agree with you more often that not, but on this one I've at least got to add an asterisk...

A true high major wouldn't be in the headlights quite the same way, as the (oft unspoken) subtext is that we don't deserve the 1. And that's a sales point when the big guys recruit against us.

Beyond that, yes I like the exposure generally.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

1. Feeling pretty good about how we will be seeded, which is #1 out West
    2. With the loss to St.Mary's, I believe we are playing into the second week, as the team will be hungrier.
    3. Needs to have Perkins and Norvell playing well; Clarke and Rui will show up.
    4. My Final 4 are: Duke, Gonzaga, Tennesee, and a Dark Horse (8th seed or above).
    5. Go Zags!

If we dont make elite 8 it will feel like a let down after this regular season since we were so good. Just want to see fire and let the chips fall where they may.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    Josh tweaked his shoulder against Pepperdine but we’ve already been told he is fine now.
    He did? We have?

Many including myself speculated that he appeared to be bothered by his right shoulder vs Gaels, but I missed the news verifying that he tweaked it vs Pepperdine and then that it is fine now. You got a link / source you can share?

I love Reborn’s confident post. I wanna believe!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    I’ve made about the same case citing what FSU did to us with 9 deep depth and bruisin’ bigs at the dance last year. Also said we’re a “flow team” that just doesn’t like ‘in your face’ D on the perimeter and big, physical bigs pushing us around and getting in the way of our superior athleticism inside.

I fear street ball, asphalt court, no net, no ref teams in the tourney a lot more than I fear teams that play, or try to play our flowing, athletic game.

If the Zags can get mad, dig deep, get in the gutter and play like no one’s watching they can go deep.

Maybe Zach “Chicago Town” Norvell can give a speech!
    Florida State played 11 players in the first half against Duke yesterday. They routinely go 10 or 11 deep every game. Mark Few mention that on the Doug Gotlieb show last year after our last to them and said that he admired that about Leonard Hamilton and was going to try to use a deeper bench this year. But it really is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

the other matchup I could see the committee giving the Zags is the Duke bracket, give the Dukies a chance to avenge that loss, a la UNC with Hansbro (a bully player who the refs and media helped make imo)

anyway, agree with ALL saying should fear no one! everyone show up on point and together, believing in themselves and each other, I'll take whatever happens there and I like our chances then

Particularly when you don’t have close to 10 or 11 contributing players.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Florida State played 11 players in the first half against Duke yesterday. They routinely go 10 or 11 deep every game. Mark Few mention that on the Doug Gotlieb show last year after our last to them and said that he admired that about Leonard Hamilton and was going to try to use a deeper bench this year. But it really is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Forgot. 9+2 =‘s 11 =‘s even better than last year which, I think, another poster pointed out in another thread.

Bottom Line: Depth Matters!

I think we’re headed for Salt Lake City as the 2 Seed in the West with likely Final Four path of:

15 Seed Montana;
    7 Seed Nevada;
    3 Seed Florida State; and
    1 Seed Michigan State.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I think we’re headed for Salt Lake City as the 2 Seed in the West with likely Final Four path of:

15 Seed Montana;
    7 Seed Nevada;
    3 Seed Florida State; and
    1 Seed Michigan State.
    if michigan state gets a one seed there is something very very seriously wrong....they have 3 very bad losses to non tournament teams
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Tennessee losing hopefully helps Gonzaga. Tennessee truly is a brother to Gonzaga...haha ha,,,smiling There have been a lot of great teams who have lost in the conference tournaments. Wouldn't it be cool if the four Final Four teams are teams who lost in their conference tournaments. How am I feeling. Really excited for 3 pm.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    if michigan state gets a one seed there is something very very seriously wrong....they have 3 very bad losses to non tournament teams
    +1. Not seeing it in the body of work. I'd have UT or UK above them, even after yesterday/today.

Moreover, and not that the Committee will (or even should) consider it, didn't we smoke MSU in a "secret scrimmage"?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    He did? We have?

Many including myself speculated that he appeared to be bothered by his right shoulder vs Gaels, but I missed the news verifying that he tweaked it vs Pepperdine and then that it is fine now. You got a link / source you can share?
    MileHigh said so in one of the SMC postgame threads. Great news, but at the same time Josh won't have a week and a half to recover between games if tweaked again during the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Zags only have nine, not ten or eleven. It didn't seem to help FSU against Duke yesterday however.

This year Zags should have a health(ier) Tillie,Brandon Clarke, a much better Rui and Petrusev as a front line.

It may not be as many as FSU but I think quality is more important than sheer numbers, if the are playing basketball. If they are playing a foul fest then all bets are off.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Here's how I'm feeling now:

UT losing by 20 has moved the discussion away from Gonzaga, which I think helps us. At least among the pundits - who knows what the Committee itself thinks.

Seth Davis and Clark Kellogg both have us as a 1, Davis has UT despite the loss and Kellogg had MSU instead.

Either you think UT's loss doesn't matter (and then why should ours), or you think it does and it makes them less likely to take our 1.

Committee Kremlinology is tiring.

Ohio State Kellogg pretty transparent picking Sparty. Sigh. 3 weeks of him will be tiring, infiuriating.

Ohio State Kellogg pretty transparent picking Sparty. Sigh. 3 weeks of him will be tiring, infiuriating.
    should put him and Bilas in a telephone booth together to hammer out their homerism
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

In no particular order: Josh, Geno, Zach, Corey, Jeremy, Rui, BC, Tillie, Petrusev. That's 9 that can contribute, but Coach Few has tightened it up to 7 like he does every year despite saying that he wouldn't this year. But yeah, after watching Auburn run 10 payers out there and 6 different ones made at least 1 3 pointer, it shows me that we really lack guard depth, Ayayi and Foster aren't cutting it.

- feel just fine, from about mid season on, have always figured we'd get a 1 or 2 seed. and imho there is no difference.

- I think they are a lock for a 5th consecutive sweet sixteen.

- elite 8 and final four is a possibility, but not probable in my opinion. we will have to play "A" level basketball and perhaps get a break or two with the draw/opponent we play.
    - wouldn't if be great if some higher seed blew up the other have of the draw! seems to happen once or more each year, i'll take a break or two.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    MileHigh said so in one of the SMC postgame threads. Great news, but at the same time Josh won't have a week and a half to recover between games if tweaked again during the tournament.
    Thanks, I missed that.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I’m fine with either of these Michigan teams being the 2 (1)? In our region.

There are more viruses going around this year than in previous years. I thought that a couple of players looked like they weren’t feeling well in the WCC Tournament. Gonzaga staff aren’t usually forthcoming with information regarding players who are playing with illness or injuries. That loss still puzzles me. I expected Saint Mary’s to play well because they had been getting better and better. The Zags didn’t look like the team I expected to see. If that’s the team that shows up next week, I don’t see more than two wins at the most.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Hearing a little bit of overreaction to the loss.

A team that can't hit an outside shot is going to have it impact their entire offensive flow. Also, Perk was hurt.

I believe we have the talent to go to the Final Four, it is just a question about what kind of outside shooting we get, what kind of effort underneath we get.

I think it's really important we get off to a great start, just blow out the first team. This team needs to get its swag back.
    Well Dixie the odds makers in Vegas are with you....they have Gonzaga as a 1 seed and second only to Duke to win the National Championship........

Of the entire season, the last St Mary’s game was befuddling. The Zags did not execute to nearly the level we had all season. Usually we see this in pre-conference. I wondered aloud is the fix in? That is the easier logic then we are infallible by an off night, sickness, or weariness of the long schedule. Nevertheless, as a fan I’ve come to terms with this last loss by recognizing that this is a marathon season. And the Zags are prone as any to performance lapses. Me thinks with a rest and meditative regroup the boys will be fine during the opening 2 rounds of the tourney. And if the stars align, all will be right in Zagville come April 8th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk