Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selection Sunday Check-In: How We Feeling ZagNation?

Default Selection Sunday Check-In: How We Feeling ZagNation?

It has taken me quite some time to let go of the gut punch that was the WCC Championship game performance by our Zags. It was the way Zags lost that was so disturbing to me.

Now here we are at Selection Sunday. I've watched a lot of college hoops in the past 4 days and got to see a lot of teams playing very well...particularly Michigan, Tennessee, Duke, Iowa State...heck I'd even add Kentucky to that list despite the loss, they looked damn imposing in that game.

The Zags have proven capable of playing with and beating the likes of Duke and Tennessee. This team has a lot more NCAA experience than practically any other team in the tourney. They have Coach Few, who has seen it all and knows how to ready the troops for the tourney, and a guy like Tommy Lloyd whose quip about "someone needs to be sent away after a loss" just somehow weirdly diffused all my angst and worry about this team.

I am thinking if Zags can bring to the Dance the same attitude, energy and moxy they brought to Maui we may be in for a really nice run. I am hopeful Zags play their best ball of the season and treat themselves to a nice tourney run all the way Minneapolis....I also wouldn't be completely shocked if they lose in the 2nd round or Sweet 16. Before WCC Championship game I was expecting Elite Eight run at minimum for this squad, now some doubt and lower expectations have crept in.

I wanna believe Zags, help my unbelief!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Well, the further Tuesday's game gets into the past the better I feel
    What I feel best about is how well this Zag bunch adjusts and becomes a better team - on the fly and over time. No team is infallible - at least that's a takeaway I've seen from watching a bit of basketball in the last couple of days.
    There are nine reasons I feel pretty good going forward: Josh, Jeremy, Zach, Corey, Killian, Rui, Brandon, Filip and Geno. If enough of those 9 can bring their A games to the Dance, even as few as 3-4 of them per game, I feel the Zags stand a fair chance of at least reaching the Sweet 16. If 5+ Zags are able to deliver their A's per game .....
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Prior to Tuesday, I thought sweet 16 was close to a lock. Don’t feel that way any more.

Still a bit hungover after Tuesday's loss. But feeling pretty good. A new season begins this week. Hoping the boys will come together and play the way we know they are capable of. I love March Madness.

Mostly thinking that the team has no doubt spent the past several days focused on entirely different things than the board has, which is a good and healthy thing.

Let the seeding chips fall. I think we'll be all right.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Round of 32 looms higher. Confidence very low post WCC. Team and stars Rui, JP and Zach have been trending down; 4 players were all conference, one was all tourney.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 03-17-2019 at 06:21 AM.

I've come off the ledge myself - the St. Mary's game was a highly unlikely confluence of events that I doubt repeat themselves. Zags will most likely wind up with a 2-seed out west, which for all intents and purposes is fine (besides the prestige of a #1 next to the name). I get the feeling the team, after hearing for the last week (and the numerous takes after bracket reveal) that they're overrated and an upset target, are going to have a chip the size of Mt. Rainier on their should and will proceed to pants the next couple of teams they play.

I've said all season, we are ONE 250lb player away from an Elite 8.

The E8 is the Pinnacle me, as its 1 vs 2 seed fighting for a small chance to make a Final 4, wirh potential to face other 1 seeds. That is gravy. Making the Elite 8 is what you hope for, a Final 4 is like winning the lotterry or hitting a jackpot. The stats are against everyone yet sometimes you break through.

I do feel this a 2nd wkend team, yet one bruiser short of advancing to an Elite 8. It is needed at that point, mostly for defense/rebounding.

Unless crazy upsets happen, we will be facing legit size in the paint by the Sweet 16.

The moment we see a 6'9 or 6"10", 255lb post, like so many of these top teams feature, I feel Clarke and Rui will be stymied and simply unable to stop it.

I have repeated it all season. We are a highly athletic finesse frontcourt which has only struggled when faced with big bigs with muscle and motor.

We had one 2 years ago, and the good news is we have 2 coming next season (who will be beasts in time).

Some will point to inconsistent guard depth, or defense at the wing, or streaky shooting from perimeter, but our primary weakness is offensive rebounding as a result of our biggest if only 230lbs, in turn effecting our post defense vs big bigs.

Sweet 16 is our ceiling without a single true post player. We are projecting as a 2 seed in numerous brackets, thus we would play a 3 seed in S16.

Current 3 seeds are: LSU, Purdue, Florida St, & Houston. The first 3 all feature guys 260+lbs underneath the hoop, and athletic. Who would defend or "pound" with those teams?

A single 250lb big away from the next tier, especially this year.

I mean even the 4 seeds are: K State (Big 12 Champs), Kansas, Texas Tech, Wisconsin.

I hope we can secure a 1 seed...the 3 seeds are much better than the 4 seeds this yr, and less size in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I've said all season, we are ONE 250lb player away from an Elite 8.

The E8 is the Pinnacle me, as its 1 vs 2 seed fighting for a small chance to make a Final 4, wirh potential to face other 1 seeds. That is gravy. Making the Elite 8 is what you hope for, a Final 4 is like winning the lotterry or hitting a jackpot. The stats are against everyone yet sometimes you break through.

I do feel this a 2nd wkend team, yet one bruiser short of advancing to an Elite 8. It is needed at that point, mostly for defense/rebounding.

Unless crazy upsets happen, we will be facing legit size in the paint by the Sweet 16.

The moment we see a 6'9 or 6"10", 255lb post, like so many of these top teams feature, I feel Clarke and Rui will be stymied and simply unable to stop it.

I have repeated it all season. We are a highly athletic finesse frontcourt which has only struggled when faced with big bigs with muscle and motor.

We had one 2 years ago, and the good news is we have 2 coming next season (who will be beasts in time).

Some will point to inconsistent guard depth, or defense at the wing, or streaky shooting from perimeter, but our primary weakness is offensive rebounding as a result of our biggest if only 230lbs, in turn effecting our post defense vs big bigs.

Sweet 16 is our ceiling without a single true post player. We are projecting as a 2 seed in numerous brackets, thus we would play a 3 seed in S16.

Current 3 seeds are: LSU, Purdue, Florida St, & Houston. The first 3 all feature guys 260+lbs underneath the hoop, and athletic. Who would defend or "pound" with those teams?

A single 250lb big away from the next tier, especially this year.

I mean even the 4 seeds are: K State (Big 12 Champs), Kansas, Texas Tech, Wisconsin.

I hope we can secure a 1 seed...the 3 seeds are much better than the 4 seeds this yr, and less size in the middle.
    Overreact much? No disrespect but you saying S16 is a ceiling is just as much an overreaction as you saying after Tuesday we were a 3 seed.

Okay, now that I got that outta there,, you do have legit pointson the rest of your topics here, however I don’t think our front court will be stymied either regardless who’s on the front court
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Mostly thinking that the team has no doubt spent the past several days focused on entirely different things than the board has, which is a good and healthy thing.

Let the seeding chips fall. I think we'll be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Round of 32 looms higher. Confidence very low post WCC. Team and stars Rui, JP and Zach have been trending down; 4 players were all conference, one was all tourney.
    Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Still a bit hungover after Tuesday's loss. But feeling pretty good. A new season begins this week. Hoping the boys will come together and play the way we know they are capable of. I love March Madness.
    Hope we don't pull a UW.

After their shocking loss, they have been a mess for the most part. Offense, confidence, & hustle have completely fallen apart, save Thybulle. Their best player kinda checked out, and unable to generate much since then....some teams never recover.

It usually takes a fearless leader to pull a team out of a funk (like McClellan did for the team 3 yrs ago), or a really really good Coach.

I do think we have the latter this season.

Bad losses can be a good thing, we can only hope the team will respond, unlike UW has...

With RTZ's points in mind....if and as we advance, with a healthy-ish Tillie, do we finally see the three-headed monster? I know it's not something we've seen much of -- nor needed to, to be honest -- to this point, but does (or can) a three-big lineup, even if none of the three are classic bruisers, mitigate some of the rebounding and other issues we've all noted here?

Zags dominated conference play until the most important game of the year which would have given them a shot at #1 overall seed and coughed up huge hair ball. Zags should drop a seed. Should not be rewarded for body of work which includes a conference championship game that bad.

Few comment after game “Pride got in the way” reminds me of line from Pulp Fiction....”F*** Pride it only hurts it never helps”

The wake up call was good. The coaching staff has the player's attention.

As CDC pointed out, Norvell is the difference and it really boils down to his shot selection. A clean look early in the shot clock is tolerable. A tough shot late in the shot clock is necessary. A contested shot early in the shot clock isn't excusable. At all. It might be necessary for Norvell to occasionally shoot himself out of a funk, but he won't get it done with poor shot selection. The entire team needs to be situationally aware, including being cognizant of the shot clock.

For the team as a whole, the less dribbling the better. They are collectively putting the ball on the deck way too much. The defenders they are going to face are on a whole new level and it is going to take ball movement via passing to get defenders out of position. I know they can get it done because that is the way they beat Duke. They repeatedly had Duke's defenders out of position and it wasn't by trying to iso/dribble drive on them.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    For the team as a whole, the less dribbling the better. They are collectively putting the ball on the deck way too much. The defenders they are going to face are on a whole new level and it is going to take ball movement via passing to get defenders out of position.
    Amen brother. I feel like we didn't see much of that earlier in the season -- we need to bring back the crisp passing and quick ball reversals, as pounding the rock inside against elite teams is a recipe for disaster.

Feeling like #2

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post

For the team as a whole, the less dribbling the better. They are collectively putting the ball on the deck way too much. The defenders they are going to face are on a whole new level and it is going to take ball movement via passing to get defenders out of position. I know they can get it done because that is the way they beat Duke. They repeatedly had Duke's defenders out of position and it wasn't by trying to iso/dribble drive on them.
    Well put and great observation.

We have become a "turn based" iso offense especially vs less talented/athletic teams in conference.

Keep the ball moving, 20+ assists collectively should be a goal. We had 6 vs SMC and everyone was a 'black hole'. It won't work in the Tourney.

A probing, opportunistic, selfless offense will be needed to advance.

All our guys are trying to do their part, maybe too a fault. I don't feel it was "selfish" play vs SMC, as much as each player trying to do make an impact. It's a noble mentality, yet we have to get back to playing fast, seamless, & full trust in each other to make the right play or pass.

Not, ok, you try, you shoot, now you try, then you, now me, me again, and so on...

Utilize everyone at any given time, take advantage of what is working, instead of forcing it. If Clarke keeps finding a way to score, back to back to back 25' 3's aren't the best option.

The "official" Selection Show airs at 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT on CBS

Bracketology / Bracket Analysis Shows:

ESPN ( College Game Day Gang ) 4:00pm - 6:00pm PT ( REPLAY on ESPN2 at 6:00pm and 8:00pm )
    CBSSN: March Madness Bracket Breakdown 4:00pm - 7:00pm PT ( DIRECTV # 221 )
    BTN: Selection Sunday Special 4:00pm - 5:30pm PT ( DIRECTV # 610
    )

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    All our guys are trying to do their part, maybe too a fault. I don't feel it was "selfish" play vs SMC, as much as each player trying to do 'their part', make an impact. It's a noble mentality, yet we have to get back to playing fast, seamless, & full trust in each other to make the right play or pass.
    I had a similar thought that I made in one of the post-mortem threads...sometimes "hero ball" isn't about it being "all about me" or "getting mine", but "doing my part" as you note. It is a noble mentality, but it's not going to get it done at the next level as you point out.

After watching the Huskies poop the bed at T-Mobile, I'm not afraid of them anymore. Too bad they are now an 11, I wanted us to play them again.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

I’m feeling very, very well.

• We’re either a one or a two in the west. I think we get the one seed, but if it’s the two that’s just more fuel for the fire.
    • The wake up call was a blessing. You think the team practices have been intense this week?
    • This Zags team is experienced, more than any other team in the field.
    • Matchups matter, but I’ll take our squad over whoever.

I love our chances.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    The "official" Selection Show airs at 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT on CBS

Bracketology / Bracket Analysis Shows:

ESPN ( College Game Day Gang ) 4:00pm - 6:00pm PT ( REPLAY on ESPN2 at 6:00pm and 8:00pm )
    CBSSN: March Madness Bracket Breakdown 4:00pm - 7:00pm PT ( DIRECTV # 221 )
    BTN: Selection Sunday Special 4:00pm - 5:30pm PT ( DIRECTV # 610
    )
    Sounds crazy, but I'm actually more interested in the NIT selection show. I want that tourney to be well stocked with P12 and WCC teams so Loudmouth Walton can be in rare form. He was hysterical last night.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

On ESPN, there is a video of a guy from the NCAA saying:

1. Gonzaga is a guaranteed 1 or 2 out West pending today's results
    2. Gonzaga will start in Salt Lake City week 1, Anaheim week 2

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Prior to Tuesday, I thought sweet 16 was close to a lock. Don’t feel that way any more.
    After Tillie was injured I was thinking Sweet Sixteen was about it.....

The skill and size and fight that the P5/6 teams have shown in their tournaments has been very impressive...….so that is where I am at this morning.....

I doubt Gonzaga has improved as much as those teams...... regardless of the so called adjusted metrics......when you are beating teams by 25 points a game you are not playing under any pressure....not in any danger of losing....until that game with the Gaels when they were behind and in danger of losing….they had never faced any adversity in the WCC....and they lost their poise....not good.

So....if Tillie.... especially.... and Crandall can play solid minutes and they get the right matchups and some luck.....anything pass the Sweet Sixteen will be house money for me...

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    I’m feeling very, very well.

• We’re either a one or a two in the west. I think we get the one seed, but if it’s the two that’s just more fuel for the fire.
    • The wake up call was a blessing. You think the team practices have been intense this week?
    • This Zags team is experienced, more than any other team in the field.
    Matchups matter, but I’ll take our squad over whoever.

I love our chances.
    depending on Josh's health, his shoulder that he was rubbing and all that vs. SMC, I'm with you on these things and trust Few and co. used the loss well.

Selection Sunday, always wondering what tests the committee will give to some and what passes they give to others, what matchups. wouldn't surprise me to see the Zags in the UVA bracket as a #2

I feel GREAT. It feels like GAME DAY, and one of the biggest of the year. I've been waiting for THIS day for a couple of months now. I just LOVE Selection Sunday. Getting the right (and good) seed is so important. The way I spend my time on Game Day by being positive is the way I will spend my day today. I don't have time for negative thinking, and I don't like feeling that way at all. I also believe in the power of positive thinking; so I will do my best to think positive all day until I see our name as the #1 seed in the West.

I have believed in the greatness of this team from the very beginning of the season, and I'm not going to change these thoughts because of one hickup. All year long it was believed that the Zags had the two best post players in the country; so why does that suddenly change? Rui and Clark are likely All-Americans and Clark is up for defensive player of the year. Why would I suddenly stop believing in this team who has a guy like Clarke who is so talented as a shot blocker, and a guy like Rui Hachimura who can take anyone one on one. Why would I stop believing in this team who has a sharp Ninja Shooter like Norvell, and is one hell of a tough young man. Believe me. He will be ready. He is from Chicago. And finally, why would I not believe in Josh Perkins as the Wizzard of the Courts. I think that more than anyone, Josh wants to win. He just needs to relax and play the role he plays best. Kispert, Jones, Crandall and Tillie are all glue guys and will fill in all the holes.

Under the helm of Mark Few and Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga has played great in March Madness. I believe it will be no different this year. This is the best time of the year for me. I'm ready to rock and roll.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!