Tommy in Mexico City scouting one of Ballo's teammates? Secret internatioal pg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caldwellzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
    smoke fire I always associate with bad outcomes )
    Lol I get that, I look at it as we are hearing about this "smoke" the only way we get smoke is if there is a "fire." I am a math brained person, so analogies are not always my strength!!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
      I had to do some digging on this one, as it has been super hush hush. I heard Tommy was going down there and just assumed it was to watch Ballo (as we do with a lot of our recruits after they have committed, plus remember Ballo has not signed yet). I will say this many times where you find smoke there is a fire. Still working on details, but interesting what I was told last night let me just say that.
      As I mentioned in the OP, I got an inside scoop on this guy many months ago. I finally beat you to a scoop.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
        Is this Guard from Uruguay left handed?

I believe so

Comment

• caldwellzag
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
          As I mentioned in the OP, I got an inside scoop on this guy many months ago. I finally beat you to a scoop.
          That you did!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Another Mussini. Pass.

Comment

• Zagdawg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Best Point Guard:Santiago Vescovi Vannet

This was my 3rd time locking in on Vescovi Vannet after seeing him only a few weeks ago in Rhode Island at NPSI. He is the purest PG at camp. He has a sharp sense for play making and reading things before they happen. Some of the “english” he puts on the ball when he passes is unorthodox comparable to Manu Ginobili on the move in transition.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Translated

Santiago Vescovi: the 17-year-old Uruguayan who deludes himself with the NBA

On September 11, 2001, Al-Qaeda threw down the Twin Towers. The television broadcast, live, of what was happening in New York, is the memory that is most repeated at the time of thinking about the year 2001. Perhaps the most important if we start thinking about historical facts seen in real time. Santiago Vescovi has no memories of the fall of the towers because he was born three days later, on the 14th. He also does not remember when he first saw a basketball but at home there is a photo with his grandfather, the historic player of Bohemios Daniel Vannet, who records the moment. "I'm hugging the ball and my grandfather hugging me back," Santi tells Ovación.

At 16 years old, in March 2018 he went to the NBA Academy in Mexico. Now, with 17, his name begins to sound, little by little, in the Uruguayan public.

ADVERTISING

Last week he had a moment of important exposure, after an interview for ESPN in the framework of the All Star Game weekend. That day, he was participating in the Basketball Without Borders camp at Queens University in Charlotte (United States) and was among the 12 most outstanding players of the event. That is, in the All Star Team of the camp.

The first time that Leonardo Zylbersztein, champion coach of the Uruguayan Basketball League 2016/2017, saw Santiago, was as a rival to the Hebraica Maccabi formations that he directed. "He was an extremely talented player, who excelled," he told Ovacion.

Then he was able to direct him in the Uruguayan sub 17 that played the South American of Peru in 2017. "In the National Team I reaffirmed everything I thought about him and added an analysis of him as a person. He is an apprehensive boy to work, to listen, to want to learn, he has a sports culture that shows. "

That sports culture comes from family. In addition to his grandfather, his father, Pablo, played volleyball. Both they and Santiago did it in the same club, Bohemios.

Santiago is grateful to Bohemios and interviewed for this note, does not forget "thank you for all the support" and tell them "keep doing things as they are doing, because they go very well".

Marcelo Capalbo, one of the coaches of Santiago in the Bohemian training, told Ovacion that the first thing he remembers about the teenager is "the joy and passion with which this is taken. Santi is a kid who plays basketball always has a smile on his face, and that is very hard to find. Basketball is a game, but with a very particular demand. And Santi always exceeded those particularities. "

Capalbo believes that "everyone would have liked to see more with the Bohemians shirt" but it seems "very great" that the player's departure has been accepted. "When there are people who manage to transcend and go back flight, we have to have enough capacity to say, 'crazy, up', fly 'and I think Bohemians was the case," he says.

SUB 17. In the youth team led by Zylbersztein, Santiago Vescovi gave an old advantage. However, he became the "natural leader" of the team, due to his ability. The coach understands that as a result of this, young Santiago, who was 16 years old at the time, developed a "very high" resistance capacity. "The player who excels in that category, usually happens to be a natural leader. That caught my attention because with one year less in small categories, the difference is very big and he ordered his teammates, always in a positive action ".

"Although it did not go well for us and they were quite punished at the time, there are five of the 12 children who went to the South American, who are now developing in the USA. That's a good thing for Uruguay, "he said.

In that tournament, Santiago reached an average of 16.3 points per game.

Capalbo still remembers that after that tournament, some scouts contacted him to ask him about Santiago. "That it was going to last very little within the Uruguayan system was more than obvious. Obviously I was happy in a tremendous way, for everything that can come and for everything that can represent him, "he said.

Santiago Vescovi at the NBA Academy
                Santiago Vescovi with other players in the NBA Academy
                ACADEMY. Santiago knew the system of the Conade Academy of Mexico, so he already had an idea of ​​what the NBA Academy could be like in that country.

How is a day in that place? "We have breakfast at 7, from 8 to 10:30 we study, from 11 to 12:30 we go to the gym. There we have time to go throwing. After we have to bathe, eat and at 15 we have to be back in class until 18. Then we go to our room, we change and from 19 to 20:30 we train on the court. After dinner, we bathe and go to sleep. "

From the story of Santiago it is clear that study is essential for those in charge. For this they implement the Apex program, which promotes insertion in universities (in Uruguay it also exists). Through the program, they evaluate what courses they need to be able to enter the universities that make up the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), in order to reach the level that allows them to be eligible in those institutions. "If you have low notes they help you upload them, if you are behind too. But instead of just coming and telling you 'why did not you approve', what they do is to see how to help us and be able to move forward what we have behind, "says Vescovi.

Being under the wing of the NBA, the athletes who make up the academy have the chance to meet the players they see on television. "I met the Orlando Magic team, the Toronto Raptors, on the Campus (of the All Star Game) I met several players," he said.

The coaches of the academy focus "on the intensity of the training". "They also ask us to shoot the basket, that helps us a lot to be able to shoot in quantity, quality and be able to raise the percentage."

LEARNING. Zylbersztein recalls that during the training of that youth team, Leandro García Morales and Martín Osimani were present to "work on individual aspects" with the adolescents. Santiago approached them and began to ask them questions. "He was constantly catching the idea of ​​great players from Uruguay and trying to learn something else, he asked a lot of things, he quickly understood the slogans we were asking of them and that really caught my attention".

Capalbo goes along the same lines: "I was always struck by his ability to learn intangible things from basketball. That I say a phrase on the 4th of autumn and ask it on the 10th of spring and be the first to answer ... Situations in which I say 'remember that once we talk about ...' and he says' yes, such thing and such a thing. ' He listens to you with his ears, with his head and with his soul ".

And what about the NBA players? Santiago says that the Chicago Bulls center Lauri Markkanen was in the camp without the players finding out. "When he finished, he sent me a video saying that he had a lot of potential, that he loved my game, that he kept working and he expected to see me in the league one day," Vescovi told Ovación.

UNTIL WHERE? For Capalbo, Vescovi "is where he is because he does everything he has to do" and "he will play wherever he wants to put the ceiling on his performance", because "he has conditions to consider being at a more than interesting level in basketball" .

Zylbersztein believes that the youth is "in a moment of full explosion for his age" and "has all the conditions and both physical and mental qualities to undertake whatever he wants to do". For the coach, if his talent and personality "adds all the potential in the US, soon we will have a player of great value".

On ESPN: "I was very happy with repercussions"
                "More than the ESPN interview, the campus was what gave me the most repercussions. I was very happy with the positive repercussions. When I did the interview and I went on TV, to me and to the 'China' Sofía Acevedo, the Argentine girl who made the note with me, we started receiving messages of congratulations from many people. I think that is a reward for work every day. Nobody gave us anything and I am very happy that this is happening. My family congratulates me for all the process that I have been doing and we have talked about the change of mind, to mature and live away from the family, which is not easy for anyone. "

BÁSQUETBOL Con 17 años, integra la Academia de la NBA de México y participó del campamento de Básquetbol sin Fronteras. BRUNO SCELZA El 11 de septiembre de 2001 Al-Qaeda tiró abajo las Torres Gemelas. La transmisión televisiva, en vivo, de lo que sucedía en Nueva York, es el recuerdo que más se…

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Another Mussini. Pass.
                  Ridiculous and borderline racist. This guy is a flat out stud and would be a borderline 5 star if he was playing in the states. I posted several links to all of the praise and accolades abut him from independent sources, if you're too stubborn to read them, that's on you.

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
                    Kennel Club
                    • Nov 2017

Ridiculous and borderline racist. This guy is a flat out stud and would be a borderline 5 star if he was playing in the states. I posted several links to all of the praise and accolades abut him from independent sources, if your too stubborn to read them, that's on you.
                    *you're

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
                      *you're
                      fixed. thanks

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
                        Kennel Club
                        • Nov 2017

Well played. Well played.

Comment

• Spike#1
                          Kennel Club Alum
                          • Oct 2016

Ridiculous and borderline racist. This guy is a flat out stud and would be a borderline 5 star if he was playing in the states. I posted several links to all of the praise and accolades abut him from independent sources, if you're too stubborn to read them, that's on you.
                          Spy, for someone who gets so easily upset when someone says anything negative about GU, the team or even your own opinion, using your own words, you sure do get your panties in a bunch!

Now, in this thread, you are calling out someone as "borderline racist"??? From a 3 word post???

Take a look at your own tag line video, "Party", clearly ridiculing a religion that I assume is different than your own. Why even have that on here??? You calling out others for being borderline racist... with your tagline??? Borderline hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

You are the first to @&#$* and moan if someone hurts your precious feelings, but meanwhile you are usually the one to cast the first stone.

If you're too stubborn to figure that out, that's on you.

Glass houses Spy, glass houses.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

Not sure how this is racist. I'm guessing more about comparing players game and ability.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spike#1 View Post
                              Spy, for someone who gets so easily upset when someone says anything negative about GU, the team or even your own opinion, using your own words, you sure do get your panties in a bunch!

Now, in this thread, you are calling out someone as "borderline racist"??? From a 3 word post???

Take a look at your own tag line video, "Party", clearly ridiculing a religion that I assume is different than your own. Why even have that on here??? You calling out others for being borderline racist... with your tagline??? Borderline hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

You are the first to @&#$* and moan if someone hurts your precious feelings, but meanwhile you are usually the one to cast the first stone.

If you're too stubborn to figure that out, that's on you.

Glass houses Spy, glass houses.
                              Jazz is often very biased against white foreign players except Domas. Regarding the video, more than half of the crew were LDS and the two female leads that I hired were BYU alum

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                                Not sure how this is racist. I'm guessing more about comparing players game and ability.

Nope, comparing skin color and ethnic background although one is euro and the other from South America. I’ve “known” Jazz for 15 years there’s a reason he chose that extremely vague player comparison and it’s not their games and skill set because the 2 play nothing alike.

Comment

Working...
                                X