Thread: Selection Monday is Upon Us - Where are We Seeded & Where are We Headed?

Default Selection Monday is Upon Us - Where are We Seeded & Where are We Headed?

Faithful posters and readers, here is the last poll on seeding for the season.

At 4:00 PM on Monday, the NCAA committee will release their selections and seedings for the 2019 NCAA tournament. Our Lady Zags are expected to receive an 'at large" bid with BYU taking the automatic bid by winning the WCC tournament.

If you are a 4-seed, you will host, if you are a 5-seed you will play at the site of the same region's 4-seed and if you are a 6-seed, you will play at the site of the same region's 3-seed.

Here is the link to Charlie Creme's latest Bracketology guesses: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology

O'K, for those of you willing to take a chance;

- What seed will the Lady Zags receive on Monday?
    - Where will the Lady Zags be sent to play their first and (hopefully) second round games?

Tiebreaker question;

- What seed will BYU receive?

What say you?

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-16-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Gonzaga will be a #4 seed in the Lexington Region...

As a #4 seed, the Zags will host the 1st two rounds...

BYU will be a #8 seed...

BYU will open as a 7 in the Portland Region and it will be @ Eugene vs. Big Ten team, then Oregon!

Zag's will be placed in the Albany Region, be a #5 seed and play Boise State in the Corvalis, Oregon site; with Oregon State waiting in the wings! Both teams will bolster the attendance in these two scenario's and have a good chance of advancement! Don't know the size of the "Corvalis" arena, but a long shot might be Spokane (Zag's hosting) and Oregon State visiting ??? No doubt a Sell out in Spokane, no matter who comes!

At any rate, GO WCC and pick up some early WINS!!!!

Default Selection Monday is Upon Us - Where are We Seeded & Where are We Headed?

Unfortunately since the committee also looks at "personnel", the two tragic injuries considered at key positions plus the loss to BYU in the tournament will probably drop the Zags down to a #6 seed traveling to Miami.

BYU will probably be a #8 seed.

Go WCC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going with Creme... a 5 going to Iowa in the Portland bracket.

I get the personnel thing, but still look at the strength of the team... and hope they do to.

Go Zags!!

Missouri state won MVC championship......it all adds up.....

A 7 or 8. No hosting. After Vegas, just bad vibes all around.

zags still with 4 losses with wins over the Pac12 champs and the MVC champs.....I agree that we'll be dinged...the boys didn't suffer for their terrible loss but our girls will...

or not.....we'll see......

good luck tomorrow LadyZags!

we shall see where the women are seeded. I remain optimistic but getting swept by BYU (3 losses) will look bad on the women resume and will ding them. Plus, two key injuries to 2 of toughest players will impact seeding big time.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    the boys didn't suffer for their terrible loss but our girls will...
    The boys didn't lose to the same WCC opponent 3 times.

Thanks to all for participating.

Sylean, no guess from you this time?

Kyle, not willing to go out on limb?

SeaCat, no dog (pun intended) in this fight but a guess?

ZagDad

Sorry ZagDad. I've seen Creme's various projections during the season, the several committee reveals, I'm not sure how it's all gonna play out. Will find out shortly.

From the Spokesman-Review:

Gonzaga women learn their NCAA Tournament destination on Monday
    UPDATED: Sun., March 17, 2019, 8:21 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

Good thing this is a business trip.

The most talked-about NCAA Tournament destinations for the Gonzaga women aren’t exactly spring break hot spots. There’s College Station, home of Texas A&M University and the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library.

How about Ames? It’s home to the Iowa State Cyclones and only 20 minutes from the bright lights of Des Moines.

And don’t forget Corvallis, where four years ago the Zags pulled off one of the biggest tournament upsets in school history against Oregon State.

With the dawn of Selection Monday, those appear to be the likeliest destinations for the Zags, who long ago punched their ticket to the dance. But on whose floor?
    The final word belongs to the selection committee, which will reveal the bracket on Monday at 4 p.m. on ESPN. The Zags will gather on campus to learn their fate.
    With a 28-4 record and No. 14 ranking in the Rating Percentage Index, GU appears to be settling in as a five seed.

That’s where ESPN bracketologist Charlie Creme put the Zags more than two weeks ago, and he hasn’t budged from that position, though last week he flipped their destination from College Station to Ames. Last year, Crème was spot-on as he had the Zags playing at Stanford. However, he picked GU for a 12 seed and they received a 13.

The big uncertainty is whether the selection committee will penalize GU for the apparent loss of starting point guard Laura Stockton and versatile reserve Jill Townsend. Both suffered what appeared to be serious injuries during the 78-77 double-overtime win over Saint Mary’s on Monday in the West Coast Conference tournament. Gonzaga has issued no official word on the players’ availability for the tournament, though Stockton wore a leg brace and Townsend a leg cast Tuesday during the Zags’ 82-68 loss to BYU in the WCC title game.

Others have noticed.

Technically, Crème has GU as a six seed. He ranks the Zags the 21st-best team in the land and has Kentucky as 19th However, Creme gives GU a “procedural bump” to a five seed (and Kentucky down to a six) presumably because of geography and other considerations.

Meanwhile, College Sports Madness assigns the Zags a five seed and ships them to Milwaukee to play Ivy League champ Penn in a foursome hosted by Marquette. Dropping a seed doesn’t sound like a big deal, but means tougher opponents in the first round.

One prognosticator, highposthoops.com, already has put GU on the six line. Highposthoops has GU playing 11th-seeded Tennessee in a foursome hosted by Miami. South Florida in March – now there’s a tourist destination, especially with snow still on the ground in Spokane.

But it will cost you: As of Sunday it was $858 round-trip from Spokane to Miami on United for a departure on Thursday and return on March 25. Houston is only $639, but you’ll certainly need a rental car for the 90-mile drive to College Station. Ames is cheaper yet: $502 round-trip to Des Moines, plus a car. For the budget-wise, Corvallis is the best option: Just jump in the car and drive eight hours. On the other hand, Oregon State was among the top 10 teams in the nation until an upset loss to Washington in the Pac-12 tournament.

That makes them dangerous, and they probably haven’t forgotten the loss to Gonzaga back in 2015.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ment-destinat/

ZagDad

From the Spokesman-Review:

Injuries to Laura Stockton, Jill Townsend have bracketologists split on Gonzaga’s NCAA Tournament seeding
    UPDATED: Thu., March 14, 2019, 11:18 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

Will the NCAA add insult to the injuries already suffered by the Gonzaga women’s basketball team?

Quite possibly.

With Selection Monday around the corner, the Zags are 28-4, ranked 12th in the Associated Press and 14th in the Rating Percentage Index, or RPI.

It’s an impressive body of work, but the body is no longer whole.

Starting point guard Laura Stockton and versatile Jill Townsend, the Zags’ top reserve, were injured in Monday’s West Coast Conference semifinal win over Saint Mary’s.
    There’s still no official word on the status of Stockton and Townsend.

“We will continue to evaluate the injuries and will know more by Selection Monday,” athletic spokesperson Jenna Larson said Thursday.

The injuries to Stockton and Townsend appear to be serious. Both were on crutches on Tuesday. Without them, the Zags weren’t the same team, falling 82-68 to BYU.
    That brings up the question before the NCAA selection committee: How much do you penalize a team for major injuries?

For much of the season, Gonzaga had flirted with the chance of being a No. 4 seed and hosting first- and second-round NCAA games at the McCarthey Athletic Center. That possibility seemed to fade as other schools’ resumes – especially those of Power-5 programs such as Syracuse, Iowa State and Texas A&M – were bolstered last week by wins in their respective conference tournaments.

For the last two weeks Gonzaga has been a steady presence on the No. 5 line, meaning it would face a No. 12 seed in the first round. If form held and the favorites won, the Zags would then face a No. 4 seed on the latter’s home court.

That still may happen. ESPN’s Charlie Crème still had the Zags at a No. 5 seed in Thursday’s edition of his bracket.

However, highposthoops.com raised the issue on Wednesday:

“When seeding teams, the committee looks at the personnel that a team has for the tournament. Today, we can pencil in Gonzaga as a dangerous 6, subject to change.”

In its bracket prediction, highposthoops had GU traveling to third-seeded Miami and playing Tennessee.

Crème’s bracket has GU as a No. 5 seed, facing Ohio Valley Conference champion Belmont in a foursome hosted by Iowa State. If past actions are any indication, the committee will certainly take a look at the effect of injuries to Stockton and Townsend.

“Some members of the committee probably consider it very strongly and other members less so,” said Ron Wellman, former chair of the men’s selection committee said.
    “It is a subjective factor that the committee members do take into consideration, like I said, to varying degrees,” Wellman added.

Dropping down a seed means a tougher first-round opponent – an 11 seed instead of a 12. Likewise, the probable second-round opponent would be a No. 3 seed instead of a four.
    Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...end-have-brac/

ZagDad

Default 6 seed

At a SEC school

BYU beats the zags once, maybe a fluke. They beat us on our home court, we got out coached. They beat us a third time and I'm not sure the outcome would have been any different had we been at full strength, we just don't match up very well against them. 0 and 3, how can we be rated higher than BYU. The only way we host would be the tremendous fan support the zags get, money talks, BS walks.
    A match-up with the Ducks would pack the house.

In order for us to get a win in the tournament some things must change.

1. Katie must start being aggressive in her game. Katie take 3s, closer in jumpers, layups, fight for rebounds.

2. Chandler must come out of her funk. Chandler must be much more active in all faucets of the game.

3. CLF must give Louise more minutes.

4. Louise needs to score points and get rebounds.

5. CLF must defend the other teams speedy and 3 point shooters with Jessie, Katie, and Louise.

6. Wirth twins must pass the ball to open players when they are double teamed. Wirth twins need to rebound with authority, then get rid of the ball to a ZAG guard.

7. Zags must hit the offensive boards. Nothing I hate worse is when a ZAG takes a shot, and the whole Zag team is moving back on defense before anyone has rebounded the ball.

8. CLF is going to have to make some changes because running the status Quo, will only get you another loss.

9. CLF have confidence in Louise Forsyth if you give her a chance it will be rewarded.

10. CLF play for the win, and not a close game you lose.

11. Lady ZAGS don't forget your a team, everyone support each other. Have confidence in yourself's and your teammates.

Thanks again to all for playing.

Since it is not possible for me to say anything in a few words, I will provide my rational (or irrational) reasons for my picks. I agree that the losses to BYU and the two injuries will hurt the Lady Zags seeding but keep in mind the following:

- BYU is a top 30 RPI team. These are not losses to Sister Mary and her fellow sisters of the poor, they are "quality" loses. Second, the first two loses were by two points and were loses only because the wide open 3 pt shot and subsequent follow-up (with no foul called) did not go in. Not to mention the absurd shooting percentages and last second shot clock heaves that went in for BYU. The second loss was a great coaching move, to get the foul call, the game should have went into OT. There is essentially little between the teams. In the last game, had GU simply shot their average percentage, the game would have been down to the wire just like the previous 2. Since the committee apparently places little value on losses for seeding, I don't see a big drop in seeding because we lost to BYU in the WCC tournament.

- Yes, two of our top 6 players are injured and may be out for the year. Yet instead of buckling, they pulled out an double overtime victory over St. Mary's without either player on the court in the second overtime and without their point guard on the court for most of the 3rd, all of the 4th and both overtimes. They played a competitive (won 2 of the 4 quarters) game in the championship game and scored 68 points despite shooting way below average and after having only 24 hours to game plan without the use of the two lost players. Given 9/10 days to prepare, I would expect the team to see very little drop off from our original starting five but with much less bench help. So a drop in seeding due to lost players, maybe some, but certainly not the 2-3 seed lines projected by others, I just don't see it.

- Since we and Marquette were dropped from the 4-seed line in the committee's last reveal, I made the assumption that Marquette and GU were the 1st and 2nd 5-seeds. If you want to drop a team in seeding, somebody has to move up. What did the other 5-seeds and 6-seeds do in their conference tournaments to warrant moving up? For the 5-seeds, GU lost in the finals, Marquette lost in the finals, Missouri lost in the semi-finals and Arizona State lost in the quarterfinals. For the 6-seeds, UCLA lost in the semi-finals, Florida State lost in the quarterfinals, Kentucky lost in the quarterfinals and South Dakota State won the conference tournament. Missouri won 2 games in the SEC tournament including beating a higher ranked Kentucky, they could move up. UCLA only won one game in the Pac-12 tournament and it was against a lower ranked ASU team. I see no reason to move them up. ASU lost to UCLA, no reason to move them up. Florida State won one game in the ACC tournament playing to their seed, no reason to move them up. South Dakota State replaced South Dakota and was moved up from a 7-seed to a 6-seed. I don't see any further movement for the Jackrabbits.

Given all the blather above, what does it all mean?

I think the loss to BYU in the WCC tournament championship will have little or no effect on our tournament seeding. BYU, by beating us for a 3rd time this year will be bumped up a seed line. The loss of LS and JT would impact our seeding, but I don't think any of the projected 6-seeded teams did anything to warrant being bumped up to a 5th seed. So, the limit of us being bumped would be from the 1st or 2nd 5-seed down to the 3rd or 4th 5-seed. In the women's game, geography plays a much bigger factor, like it or not, than several other factors.

My, guess is:

Lady Zags: 5-seed
    Location: Ames, Iowa in the Portland region with (Charlotte in the Greensboro region as an alternate location if ASU is moved above the Zags). Yes, hedging my bet.
    BYU: 7-seed moving up from an 8-seed

Only 5 hours to go.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; Today at 10:54 AM.

Zags will be a 6 seed not on the West Coast

BYU =10 seed

I'll stick with my Corvallis cite for the 5th seeded BULLDOGS! Makes way more sense...geographically, why bring Missouri across country as a 5 seed, when they are closer to Ames, Iowa??? Why not have a regional games of Gonzaga vs Boise St and Davis vs Oregon????? It is a 5-12 game anyway you stack the stats!!! SAME GOES FOR THE Cougars...they are a 7 seed...whether they play closer to home in Eugene, OR ... or timbucktoo??? Texas, a 7 seed, why must they travel half way across the West...when they have a closer venue in Iowa City??? Iowa, fans would love to host TEXAS.... Eugene would love to see the BYU team and fans!!! In my humble opinion, Women's basketball is getting anywhere fast, because natural rivals are not cultivated! Beavers would LOVE TO HOST the Lady Zags!!! Of course, that would mean the Magnolia Garden Club (Committee) might actually have to use the metrics they "supposedly follow!

Evidently ESPNU leaked the bracket early.... Zags are a 5 seed play in Corvallis vs UALR (12), and Oregon St takes on Boise St (dropped to a 13).... so you get the 8 hour drive... hopefully in Spring like weather!!!

BYU is a 7 seed in Palo Alto ... taking on Auburn..... Stanford gets Davis in the 1st round. Charlie Creme's not quite right! As ZAGDAD said, travel is a big consideration!!!
    Last edited by Kemo 1966; Today at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    In order for us to get a win in the tournament some things must change.

5. CLF must defend the other teams speedy and 3 point shooters with Jessie, Katie, and Louise.

11. Lady ZAGS don't forget your a team, everyone support each other. Have confidence in yourself's and your teammates.
    Congrats on the 5 seed. I'm glad they didn't drop you down to a 6. Now you've got to seize this opportunity to make a run in the tournament!

@ZAG
    You nailed the winning strategies and things that must be corrected. As I've always said #11 is one of the most important.

Also #5. I strongly agree with as well.

CLF....STOP...trying to outwit your opponent by trying to get them to change their offensive strategy into something that the Zags can easily defend against.

You're going to have to do THE HARD WORK and DEFEND against what they bring you.
    And that is (PROPER) utilization of your personnel that you have. You must take your three speediest defensive players (Jessie, Katie and Louise) and DEFEND against the three and/or speedy guards. That's not the Wirth sister's forte. Wrong body types.

As I always like to say:

Basketball...is a Guard's game.

And a game of...matchups.

#GoZags

I'll be rooting for you.

I think you have the potential to do quite well and advance in the tournament, but the coach has to put the ladies in a position to do so.

@LMUWBB hopefully may not be done this year and MAY have something happening in the post season as well, for which I'm excited IF our season isn't over yet...on some level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    BYU will open as a 7 in the Portland Region and it will be @ Eugene vs. Big Ten team, then Oregon!

Zag's will be placed in the Albany Region, be a #5 seed and play Boise State in the Corvalis, Oregon site; with Oregon State waiting in the wings! Both teams will bolster the attendance in these two scenario's and have a good chance of advancement! Don't know the size of the "Corvalis" arena, but a long shot might be Spokane (Zag's hosting) and Oregon State visiting ??? No doubt a Sell out in Spokane, no matter who comes!

At any rate, GO WCC and pick up some early WINS!!!!
    Congrats Kemo, you almost got it entirely right.

Zags #5 playing in Corvallis, not against BSU, but BSU and OSU are in the other bracket. You got the tiebreaker right with BYU as a #7 as well, although they are in the Chicago bracket traveling to Stanford to face, not a Big-10 team but an SEC team.

You got the bragging rights for the rest of the year,

ZagDad

YES we made it to the WNIT!

https://twitter.com/lmupintens/statu...872070656?s=21

Totally agree with your above post CG3Dad it is a game of matchups. Melody Kempton is quicker on her feet and quicker getting down court and is more the body type of UALR players, Louise Forsyth does have the speed to stay with UALR players. I prefer to not see both Wirth twins on the court at the same time in the upcoming game. I would put Kempton subbing for Rice and the Wirth twins only subbing for each other. I would keep 3 of our guards in the game at all times among our 4 Jessie, Chandler, Katie, and Louise.

Louise is 6' and is tough she needs to shoot, penetrate, and rebound. Yes our 4 guards will get lots of minutes but hey this is win or go home.

Congrats to LMU on the NIT invite.

Quote Originally Posted by CG3Dad View Post
    Congratulations to our fellow WCC teams who were invited to the post-season in the WNIT:

Pepperdine
    LMU
    Pacific
    St. Mary's

Link: https://www.womensnit.com/news/2019/...ason-wnit.aspx

ZagDad