Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I haven't verified this, but I've heard Cronin never got out of the first weekend of the Tourney at Cincinnati. How long will that fly at UCLA?
    He did get out of the first weekend in 2011-12

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ls/cincinnati/

I think UCLA should’ve waited until after the tournament, and then offered serious money to Chris Beard. He clearly could’ve been a home run hire with his track record at every stop. Had Texas Tech won, he wouldn’t have been poachable. They didn’t, and I think they could’ve done it.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the WCC. Randy Bennett will hopefully stay as he has a great shot at winning the conference outright next season. The WCC could easily rise into a top 5-6 conference if the pieces fall just right. At that point, there’s no reason for GU to consider leaving with the deal they have.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    He did get out of the first weekend in 2011-12

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ls/cincinnati/
    thanks Reno

Speaking of UCLA, Alford to Reno:

https://www.kob.com/sports/report-fo...evada/5312308/
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Seems like a great hire, but Alford will probably was not be there for 3-5 years.

Alford should've never left UNM. He had a great assistant in Craig Neal. The program was getting better and better. He was never a good fit for UCLA, but it's easy to say that in retrospect (I suppose):

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I think UCLA should’ve waited until after the tournament, and then offered serious money to Chris Beard. He clearly could’ve been a home run hire with his track record at every stop. Had Texas Tech won, he wouldn’t have been poachable. They didn’t, and I think they could’ve done it.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the WCC. Randy Bennett will hopefully stay as he has a great shot at winning the conference outright next season. The WCC could easily rise into a top 5-6 conference if the pieces fall just right. At that point, there’s no reason for GU to consider leaving with the deal they have.
    I hope that is the case, but Kyle Smith leaving USF was a massive blow to the league. I'm mean massive. I really felt that the Dons, had Smith stayed put, could've elevated their program to the level of BYU and Saint Mary's. They could've been a team that got an at large bid here and there. They finally have the right AD in place. War Memorial Gym is being remodeled. They have a grand tradition (albeit awhile back), and the college is located in a wonderful city.

Mercury News writer Jon Wilner was on KNBR on Monday afternoon. He feels RB is going to be at St. Mary's forever. There is something about his personality that rubs AD's the wrong way, and as I keep saying, nobody seems willing to step up to the plate and offer him the 3 or 3.5 million per year that is going to be needed to draw him away from Moraga. All of the jobs he was been offered or given "feelers" for have been in the 1.5 million range or below. That's not going to do it. It needs to be more, and still Wilner said, it might not be enough to get him. But the problem is that no AD has even tried yet. I also think the program needs to be a better program than Washington State, which I think Kyle Smith is clearly using as a step ladder, like Tony Bennett did, to land a better position later down the road. Randy runs one of the winningest programs in D1 college basketball, and he built SMC out of nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. 1.5 million is not enough. He LOVES where he's at. And BTW, Cal-Berkeley's athletic dept. has been experiencing major financial issues for a number of years, so it's not likely we will ever see RB roaming the sidelines at Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Alford should've never left UNM. He had a great assistant in Craig Neal. The program was getting better and better. He was never a good fit for UCLA, but it's easy to say that in retrospect (I suppose):
    With their bonkers crazy boosters, is ANYONE a good fit at UCLA? JMHO, Cronin could do everything right at UCLA and they'll probably still run him out of town for not winning the NC every single year.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I think Mick Cronin acquitted himself really well at his introductory presser today. Bruin fans seem to feel he pressed all the right buttons. But that sort of thing always happens when a new coach gets hired. But they really do seem to have the confidence that he will be a much better fit than Alford was. Apparently Steve knew little about the history of the program and in their view, didn't respect it enough. As nutty as some of their boosters and fans are, I can't say that I would disagree with that observation. Alford was kind of arrogant, whereas Cronin showed humility today. Anyway, here is a link to an article with the press conference and then a 22 minute Q&A session:

https://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_ba...ess-conference

He also conveyed a great sense of humor with the media during the Q&A session. Very refreshing. Well worth the listen if you get a chance.

Heard at about 6 this evening that Hurley signed a 5 year extension at AZ St
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Heard at about 6 this evening that Hurley signed a 5 year extension at AZ St
    Yeah... Johnnies are looking at the Iona coach. But with him being 60... don't think it is a long term solution.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Whatdaya' think? Will Luke go the college route?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...lton-3-seasons

Mark Madsen to Utah Valley:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...sen-head-coach

Many BYU fans were hoping for him.

John Brannen: No Kentucky to Cincy

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...nnen-new-coach

Whatdaya' think? Will Luke go the college route?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...lton-3-seasons

Nope.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...new-head-coach

What is truly sad is that this wasn't their first choice, second choice, or even third choice. They got turned down by a few coaches. Lets see how long this lasts.

Reasons for the turn-downs LI?

Respect for Mullin?

Perceived problems with the AD?

Something else?

Spokane native, Ryan Looney, hired at Idaho State. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...uate-ryan-loo/

Reasons for the turn-downs LI?

Respect for Mullin?

Perceived problems with the AD?

Something else?
    Well I think there are a couple factors going on... one is weak leadership at the school in general. They don't really want to spend the money to pay the level of coach they'd need to get where they want. I think there is some dysfunction in the AD office as well. I think the way things finished with Mullins was indicative of that. Lastly, you have a massive benefactor for the university basically calling for the president and vice president of the university to step down over all of this... not a good look.

Without knowing any of the circumstances ….and from the peanut gallery ….. St Johns looks as dysfunctional as UCLA ……if there is any factor that is common to successful programs it is the tenure /support of the head coach.....a little patience might be in order...