Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Avery Johnson out at Bama. Was the overall #1 NIT seed and lost at home to Norfolk State.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Avery Johnson out at Bama. Was the overall #1 NIT seed and lost at home to Norfolk State.
    Huh. That seems like a bit of a sleeping giant of a program. Football will always be king, but the athletic department has deep pockets. Close to fertile recruiting territory. Wimp Sanderson had a pretty good career there and Mark Gottfried was decent too. Can't seem to find the right guy there for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Wow. Was over .500 (barely) in both SEC play & overall, in 4 years. Think he deserved another year. Perhaps last night's game was a bridge too far.
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Huh. That seems like a bit of a sleeping giant of a program. Football will always be king, but the athletic department has deep pockets. Close to fertile recruiting territory. Wimp Sanderson had a pretty good career there and Mark Gottfried was decent too. Can't seem to find the right guy there for quite some time now.
    They can't stand being in Auburns shadow in any sport. The rivalry between those 2 schools is pathological. Losing to Norfolk State sealed the deal.

Good point spy. Hadn't considered that angle.

Dumb move by 'Bama. What are they expecting as a football school? Avery was starting to bring in players. I know that losing to Norfolk is embarrassing, but the NIT is called the National Insignificant Tournament my some analysts for a reason. Who cares?

Now that Nevada has been eliminated, will the Musselman contract negotiations at UCLA begin?? I think Musselman demonstrated today that he can only do such much at NV. On the other hand, UCLA must start investing in its program more. Musselman needs assistants who can recruit, which is something he has little experience at. He's a transfer man. But UCLA just won't invest. They do not fly charter to all games. in FY 16, they spent less money of their program and gained less revenue than Gonzaga. This a a blue blood program! Pauley Pavilion was recently rebuilt. The boosters are nuts, but there is a talent base. But they have to pay for assistants. It is extremely expensive to live in Westwood or anywhere near it. You almost have to pay them like bottom end Pac 12 HEAD COACHES.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Cal would seem like a job that Bennett would have to take a long hard look at. Same area, wouldn't have to move, probably double his income (minimum), and is used to recruiting kids with academic standards.
    Problem is Dixie, the Cal athletic program is having major financial issues. No one is getting an interview with Bennett unless it is 3 million per year, minimum, if not an open check book. I just don't feel he has the interest otherwise. He has already proven that 1.5 to 2 won't work. UNLV is the best job in the MWC, and a better job than Cal (right now), and Randy didn't even pick up the phone because of the low ball offer. He knows what he is worth with his W-L record over the past 6 to 7 years, along w/ the fact that he built a program from scratch.

I am starting to wonder if Bennett will ever leave SMC. It just makes no logical sense for an AD at a BCS school to not have offered him huge money by now. AD's seem to just feel that a coach's personality in this twitter age in extremely important when it comes to promoting a BCS program and dealing with fastidious boosters. There is something that these AD's don't like about Randy, because a guy who has won THAT MANY games (I don't care about his previous non-conference scheduling) receives better offers than he has by now. Something is off.
    Last edited by CDC84; 03-22-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Cheated on his wife and his school...his next step is to run for political office
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Problem is Dixie, the Cal athletic program is having major financial issues. No one is getting an interview with Bennett unless it is 3 million per year, minimum, if not an open check book. I just don't feel he has the interest otherwise. He has already proven that 1.5 to 2 won't work. UNLV is the best job in the MWC, and a better job than Cal (right now), and Randy didn't even pick up the phone because of the low ball offer. He knows what he is worth with his W-L record over the past 6 to 7 years, along w/ the fact that he built a program from scratch.

I am starting to wonder if Bennett will ever leave SMC. It just makes no logical sense for an AD at a BCS school to not have offered him huge money by now. AD's seem to just feel that a coach's personality in this twitter age in extremely important when it comes to promoting a BCS program and dealing with fastidious boosters. There is something that these AD's don't like about Randy, because a guy who has won THAT MANY games (I don't care about his previous non-conference scheduling) receives better offers than he has by now. Something is off.

When you hear fans outside WCC that watched his Interview after win against Zags in Vegas and describe him as Otis from Andy Griffith show.....Bennett is media challenged.

Awkward in painfully shy way. Watch his presser in SLC and see how he handled the Christchurch question. Painful

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Danny Manning keeps his job at Wake:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ing-head-coach

Signed thru 2025, big chunk of change to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Danny Manning keeps his job at Wake:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ing-head-coach

Signed thru 2025, big chunk of change to swallow.
    He is horrible. Shocking that they signed him to an extension last season; terrible management, Phoenix Suns level bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    [/B]

When you hear fans outside WCC that watched his Interview after win against Zags in Vegas and describe him as Otis from Andy Griffith show.....Bennett is media challenged.

Awkward in painfully shy way. Watch his presser in SLC and see how he handled the Christchurch question. Painful
    Someone said to me the other day, "I wonder if Randy Bennett has any friends? Is there anything he likes to do besides basketball? Hunting? Zip Lining? Black Jack? BBQ'ing? Cricket? Insect collecting?"

Someone said to me the other day, "I wonder if Randy Bennett has any friends? Is there anything he likes to do besides basketball? Hunting? Zip Lining? Black Jack? BBQ'ing? Cricket? Insect collecting?"
    Is there more to life than hoops? Soft touch sarcasm
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Is there more to life than hoops? Soft touch sarcasm
    For some of these guys, you do wonder. They burn the midnight oil to the extreme. It's one of the things that makes Coach Few so unique. He's able to have a family life, fish to his heart's content, BMX, etc., and still win 82% of his games.

I will tell you this, during the NCAA tournament, it doesn't seem as if there is anything in life but hoops for me, and I am just a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    This is absolutely shocking. Bryce Drew, in addition to being a very good coach, was starting to draw big time talent into Vandy. MD at TSN on what will be voted the worst firing of the offseason:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...51mz1tna2rpjx6

This is one of the most shocking coach dismissals in my 32 years of covering college basketball, ranking up there with Duquesne’s removal of Ron Everhart after five straight non-losing seasons (they went 37 games under .500 in the next five seasons) and St. John’s removing Fran Fraschilla after a 22-10 season and NCAA appearance (they’ve won six NCAA Tournament games in the 20 seasons since).

“Perhaps Vandy was disappointed Bryce Drew wasn’t on a wiretap, and therefore not trying hard enough,” ESPN's Jay Bilas tweeted.

Once considered a rising star after winning four Horizon League regular-season titles in five seasons and earning two NCAA Tournament appearances, Drew led Vanderbilt to the NCAAs in his first season with the Commodores, fell to 12-20 as he began rebuilding process necessitated by the dubious recruiting during Kevin Stallings’ later years and signed two top-15 recruits in advance of his third season on the job.

One of them, point guard Darius Garland, played four full games for the Commodores. They won each time, including on the road at Southern California and home against NCAA-bound Liberty. Then Garland blew out his knee two minutes into a game against Kent State. They lost that one, and another 22 by the end of the year. They lost every Southeastern Conference game they played, including in overtime against NCAA title contender Tennessee and by 3 points each against South Carolina and at Arkansas.

Don't think one player can make that big a difference? The Indianapolis Colts were 10-6 in 2010 with Peyton Manning as their quarterback. He missed the next year to have neck surgery. They went 2-14.

I’m one. He’s really a very nice fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I’m one. He’s really a very nice fellow.
    I have a Zag Alum friend in bay area that has a daughter that plays with Bennetts daughter in a basketball league....my buddy has spoke to him a few times says Randy is nice guy...offered him tickets to a non Zag game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I have a Zag Alum friend in bay area that has a daughter that plays with Bennetts daughter in a basketball league....my buddy has spoke to him a few times says Randy is nice guy...offered him tickets to a non Zag game.
    While perhaps the motivations are rooted in different interests, I wonder if RB looks at Few and sees how HE didn't jump and has a pretty good thing going in Spokane, and wants the same thing. There are certainly enough cautionary tales out there for him to keep the bar high, at a minimum.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Gardner ahead uva. Got to start playing head games with uva. 17-10. 11 minute go first half wow
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

It was kinda' funny though; Jay Wright still had ahold of Randy's hand when he (Randy) did his fly by. If his (Jay's) shoulder was dislocated, he hid it well in post game interviews!

I have heard Randy Bennett several times on radio. When talking in a more informal environment like that with some friendly radio hosts he's actually kind of funny. But with 100 press people around, stiff as a board.

I'd be as well! But it's part of the gig. One that Few has gotten much better at over the years, BTW.

I have no doubt RB is a good person.

I still cannot get over how Bryce Drew was fired. Scott has got to be so pissed. Kevin Stallings left the Vandy program in total shambles. Scott was just getting it going. If you are in total rebuilding mode, and one of your two stud players goes down, and you are playing in a league as good as this year's SEC was, I wouldn't expect hardly any wins. Vandy's AD is brutal.

I wonder if Ben Howland is far behind? Tough group he runs with.