Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel

Default Coaching Carousel

Ernie Kent already mentioned down thread.

Mike Dunleavy - Tulane

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...lane-4-27-year

Marvin Menzies - UNLV

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...zies-3-seasons

Billy Kennedy - Texas A & M

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...y-14-18-season
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Brock and Salk were speculating on Bennett to Wazoo.

They did mention that the previous 2 coaches were duds and Wazoo has to make it this time.
    Bennett would bring his Aussie pipeline to the Cougs.
    They would have to pay him a BUNCH because if he went there and couldn't win, he wouldn't be going back to SMC and any further coaching jobs would be a step back from SMC or Wazoo.

It was just speculation, as far as I heard, but I caught the conversation mid stream.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

They did mention that the previous 2 coaches were duds and Wazoo has to make it this time.
    They would have to pay him a BUNCH because if he went there and couldn't win, he wouldn't be going back to SMC and any further coaching jobs would be a step back from SMC or Wazoo.

It was just speculation, as far as I heard, but I caught the conversation mid stream.
    We have about as much chance of Randy Bennett taking the job as Tony Bennett turning up in Pullman tomorrow to take over.

By the way, it's Wazzu.

At first I was thinking Tony Bennett, no way he's going back to the Palouse when he's got it made at UVa. Ah, a different Bennett. I gotta think he's already turned down way better jobs than Wazzu. I can't take that seriously at all. Maybe they can get Randy's twin that he never realized he had, Herb Sendek. The Wazzu job is a tough sell, really hard to win there. Who wants to deal with that?

I didn't even realize Mike Dunleavy was at Tulane. From the NBA to that?

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    At first I was thinking Tony Bennett, no way he's going back to the Palouse when he's got it made at UVa. Ah, a different Bennett. I gotta think he's already turned down way better jobs than Wazzu. I can't take that seriously at all. Maybe they can get Randy's twin that he never realized he had, Herb Sendek. The Wazzu job is a tough sell, really hard to win there. Who wants to deal with that?
    Didn't he turn down the Univ of Utah?

Which, ironically, is actually not a hard place to recruit or win at.

So, unless they just opened up a Brinks truck … can't see it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

From this morning's Spokesman r.e. Cougs:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ates-to-repla/

Anyone who wants Randy Bennett needs to step up and offer 3 or maybe even 3.5 million a year. Otherwise he's not leaving Moraga. I don't see Wazzu doing that. It's been proven already that he won't go for some mid or low level job for 2 million. He didn't even THINK about UNLV before he turned them down, and UNLV is as good of a job as exists in the MWC in terms of booster support, facilities, etc. The only people who have approached Randy so far have offered him so little money for what he's worth that it is almost laughable. AD's and boosters are just obsessed with someone having a vibrant personality and winning the press conference. When is somebody going to decide they want to win?? Someone mentioned the Australian connection. I thought Randy would've been the perfect coach at a place like Pitt that struggles to produce much prep talent on its side of the state or where the power conference school is just a hard recruiting sell.

Obviously, the next UCLA Bruin coach is probably going to be coaching next week. But I am telling you.....unless they start chartering all their games, pay their assistants enough to reside in Westwood, and are willing to spend more money on their men's team than Gonzaga (which they didn't in FY16 - the last available statistics), they aren't going to get Musselman or anyone really good.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

Brian Michaelson might start appearing on some of those lists, little soon right now. But ...
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If I was the AD at WSU, Travis DeCuire of Montana would be my first, second, and third choice. He knows how to recruit the Seattle area. His teams play hard, disciplined ball.

Would he take the job?
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

High school to D1 head coach is way too big of a leap in my mind. That article is inaccurate, Roy has coached 2 years--one at Nathan Hale and one at Garfield. He then disappeared for a year w/ no explanation, and now is back as Garfield coach heading into next season I believe.

I can't believe they have one of Kent's assistants as a candidate. With a tenure that disastrous how could you possibly think of promoting an assistant? And again no head coach experience beyond high school for him. They seem a bit obsessed w/ candidates w/ some kind of ties to Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    If I was the AD at WSU, Travis DeCuire of Montana would be my first, second, and third choice. He knows how to recruit the Seattle area. His teams play hard, disciplined ball.

Would he take the job?
    DeCuire is a fantastic coach. So good, in fact, that one major college basketball analyst believes he at least deserves an interview at UCLA. That's right, UCLA. He's thought of that highly within the coaching fraternity. Of course UCLA isn't going to do anything unless they start investing in their team more.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Brian Michaelson might start appearing on some of those lists, little soon right now. But ...
    Yeah, that's interesting. Like others, I don't feel Few is going to be coaching that much longer (in the sense you won't be see him roaming the sidelines at 66). Tommy just built a new house and everything. He's the associate and has been assured of getting the job once Few departs. At some point Donny is going hang them up. The logical step would be for Brian to move into the associate position under Lloyd, and let me tell you, the associate position at Gonzaga is an awfully good gig. Especially if Tommy is able to keep the program moving at an elite level.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Yeah, that's interesting. Like others, I don't feel Few is going to be coaching that much longer (in the sense you won't be see him roaming the sidelines at 66). Tommy just built a new house and everything. He's the associate and has been assured of getting the job once Few departs. At some point Donny is going hang them up. The logical step would be for Brian to move into the associate position under Lloyd, and let me tell you, the associate position at Gonzaga is an awfully good gig. Especially if Tommy is able to keep the program moving at an elite level.
    I get the EXACT same sense in Few.

He's just too intellectually curious, like there is more to life he wants to explore.

He'll be there till his youngest is through high school - probably.

I could actually see him possibly interested in moving over to A.D. once Roth retires (is he close?), or I can at least see there being mutual interest.

Maybe once the kids are gone he might try the NBA, though that seems the antithesis to what he loves; "family." But he also likes challenges.

Or he could happily retire and reign as king of Spokane for the rest of his life. There are worse things.

But, given Lloyd is that H.C. in waiting, if anyone was going to spread their wings a bit, it would seem MIchaelson would be the one to test the waters, but he'd have to have "just the right job" to leave the one he's in. Similar to Leon.

Someone has to shift a bit bc I still believe Gary Bell needs to come back and be an assistant - at least. Few said "He never had a bad practice" which sounds like coach material.
    Mark Twain.

Another good candidate with Eastern Washington ties and recent experience in PNW and Cali. Successful at 3 programs in each west coast state (with current team in Sweet 16 of DII), but no D1 experience. https://plnusealions.com/coaches.asp...=mbball&rc=789

Saint Joseph’s University has fired head men’s basketball coach Phil Martelli after 24 seasons. The university made the announcement on Tuesday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Saint Joseph’s University has fired head men’s basketball coach Phil Martelli after 24 seasons. The university made the announcement on Tuesday morning.

I heard that he was planning on retiring after next season... if that rumor was true... that is an awfully cold move by SJU.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

That is shocking news regarding Martelli especially with the knowledge that he was going to retire

Whoa.............

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    That is shocking news regarding Martelli especially with the knowledge that he was going to retire
    Yeah. That's a punk move that really angers me.

Someone like that, been a part of the school for a generation, leaving after one more year anyway? And I guy who had taken them to darn near the top, obviously doesn't "forget" how to coach, just struggling lately.

. Not befitting a great university.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I heard that he was planning on retiring after next season... if that rumor was true... that is an awfully cold move by SJU.
    Well, he won't get the grand farewell tour he hoped but I suspect they will have to pay out whatever he had on his contract. . .maybe they weren't willing to have a "lame duck" coach out giving half-hearted effort on the recruiting trail ?

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Agree. Like Phil. But karma for the BS move Martelli pulled a few yrs back on that kid who wanted to transfer.

No way that Randy takes that job. No money, no charters, average facilities...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

Would he take the job?
    He will go to Cal before he would take the WSU job. If I had to bet right now, I'd bet on the UC Irvine coach Turner but I'd venture that it's someone that no one expects.