Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any one else think the Zags deserve 2 seed?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    As I've seen more analysis and interviews online, I'm actually more expecting of GU to get a 1seed than I was yesterday. But the premise of the thread was how would I vote, not what do I think will happen.

I now slightly lean toward expecting GU getting the last #1, but still personally would vote them as a high #2.
    I get it, the resume is a bit light, but the metrics are great. The eye test should be a primary factor, but that last image created in LV may be hard to overcome no matter what Dickie, Joey and Jay say.

Best win: full strength Duke at neutral site. Duke steamrolled Kentucky before or after Maui. *UK is much improved.

Other Good/Decent wins:
    At Creighton
    At SMC
    UW
    At BYU
    At USF
    SMC/BYU
    Illinois/UA Neutral site
    At USD

Losses:
    Tenn Neutral site
    At UNC
    SMC Neutral site
    Last edited by MJ777; 03-16-2019 at 04:08 PM.

I think we deserve a #2 seed.
    I think we might still get a #1. Committee might be worried about the optics of putting 3 ACC teams in 1 seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    I think we deserve a #2 seed.
    I think we might still get a #1. Committee might be worried about the optics of putting 3 ACC teams in 1 seeds.
    I was wondering about those optics as well- I think UNC will not be the 3rd ACC 1 seed as long as MSU beats Michigan tmrw or auburn loses (or both).

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    It has to do with the entire body of work, Bart.
    If anyone saw the night before, you might be crazy to think that the Zags aren't the overall #1.
    I know that....I posted about impression anyone with a pulse in their brain would get watching the #! rated team in the Country being humiliated by a team that was not deserving of a at large bid....

Gonzaga has many doubters among college basketball fans and that game certainly confirmed their doubts....the Zags have a lot MORE to prove in this Tournament...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I know that....I posted about impression anyone with a pulse in their brain would get watching the #! rated team in the Country being humiliated by a team that was not deserving of a at large bid....

Gonzaga has many doubters among college basketball fans and that game certainly confirmed their doubts....the Zags have a lot MORE to prove in this Tournament...
    Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    I get it, the resume is a bit light, but the metrics are great. The eye test should be a primary factor, but that last image created in LV may be hard to overcome no matter what Dickie, Joey and Jay say.

Best win: full strength Duke at neutral site. Duke steamrolled Kentucky before or after Maui. *UK is much improved.

Other Good/Decent wins:
    At Creighton
    At SMC
    UW
    At BYU
    At USF
    SMC/BYU
    Illinois/UA Neutral site
    At USD

Losses:
    At Tenn
    At UNC
    SMC Neutral site
    I’m guessing Zags get top #2 seed and stay out West. Wasn’t sure of that til I looked at your ‘Other Good/Decent Wins’ List. It’s a stretch and pales in comparison to same such list for the other #1 seed candidates.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    weighted metric for P6 so thus they pick and choose to support their narrative
    That is why the quad sucks. The lower teams in the P 6 conferences have a better record against quad 1 teams, win or lose, than SMC does just because they get the chance.

Do away with quad and use NET metrics, BPI, Kenpom or whatever. Don't use metrics and the skew them.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I’m guessing Zags get top #2 seed and stay out West. Wasn’t sure of that til I looked at your ‘Other Good/Decent Wins’ List. It’s a stretch and pales in comparison to same such list for the other #1 seed candidates.
    body of work.....looks anorexic
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

I was going to use the 89-90 UNLV team as an argument for GU being a 1. UNLV was a big fish in a smaller pond (Big West). They were the preseason number 1 nationally. They went 16-2 surprisingly in league losing to ranked NM St and to UCSB. They cruised through the Conf tourney going 3-0. They lost 5 games total during the regular season and were ranked as low as 14. They were at # 2 in the last poll. They did get a 1 seed and went on to win the Big tourney pounding Duke by 30 in the championship game.

One difference I found was UNLVs non conference schedule.
    They played Cal, LMU (they played again in the tourney), DePaul, Iowa, Arkansas, Temple, Kansas (lost), Oklahoma (lost), NC St, Ok St, Arizona, LSU (lost) & Louisville. I didn’t look to see how good those teams were that year but on the surface it is an impressive schedule.

To me the Zag’s schedule seems pretty underwhelming for a 1 seed, but the brainiacs on CBS, ESPN and on the GU board say they are 1 worthy, so I will agree and hope for a similar finish for GU to what that UNLV team experienced.
    Last edited by MJ777; 03-16-2019 at 10:40 PM.

What isn't being considered is the fact that all the metrics have GU highly rated. As in the number 1 or 2 team in the nation. We haven't played the schedule those other teams have but we dominated the teams we have played in a major way.

A win in Phoenix against Tennessee would have been very nice about now...

At least
    I’m kinda more interested in seeing what seed SMC will get. I think the Zags will do well regardless of seed.
    Yeah, the SMC game was a downer. However, this Zag bunch is a quick study. They’ll do just fine
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

SMC is going to be an 11 or 12-seed...pretty sure. I have no doubt they could take down a 5- or 6-seed if they get the right matchup.

will we be in salt lake no matter what??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk