Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any one else think the Zags deserve 2 seed?

Default Any one else think the Zags deserve 2 seed?

This is NOT what you wish would happen or what would have happened pre SMC loss.

Given reality, does anyone else think GU deserves a 2 seed and would vote them as such if on the committee?

I think the case can easily be made that UVA, DUKE, and the SEC winner all deserve as overall top 3 seeds.

The 4th 1seed comes down to:

UNC
    Zags
    MSU (if they win their tourney)
    SEC loser (uk/tenn)

I don't know that I'd be able to justify a case for the zags over UNC, and perhaps not the SEC loser.

Anyone else agree? I think GU deserves the 5th or 6th overall seed (top of the 2 seeds).

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    This is NOT what you wish would happen or what would have happened pre SMC loss.

Given reality, does anyone else think GU deserves a 2 seed and would vote them as such if on the committee?

I think the case can easily be made that UVA, DUKE, and the SEC winner all deserve as overall top 3 seeds.

UNC
    Zags
    SEC loser (uk/tenn)

I don't know that I'd be able to justify a case for the zags over UNC, and perhaps not the SEC loser.

Anyone else agree? I think GU deserves the 5th or 6th overall seed (top of the 2 seeds).
    Yes, I do. But when has sports even been about "deserving" anything?

Dont think it matters much. Virginia lost to Duke twice, might be our saving grace to stay a 1 seed. But suspect they'll stick Virginia as our 2.

Saturday’s games first.

Note of interest: ‘19 Zags Kenpom. #1 AdO, #16 AdjD. ‘17 Zags, #16 AdjO, #1 AdjD

Just sayin’

They deserve a 1 or 2.
    I honestly think they’ll end up with a 1. 60% confidence.

Those games don't matter - for the above reasons. Either U.K. Or Tenn win and that's a lock. And even if Duke loses, they are a lock. MSU, win or lose, doesn't have the case GU does.

I think Virginia is a lock. The SEC winner isn’t quite a lock but very probable. Duke is also very probable if they win.
    That will leave Gonzaga, SEC loser, Big 10 winner and UNC. I think the Zags are the most likely pick there. We’ll see come Sunday.

I’m with you. The Zags will be the second #2 seed. That loss Tuesday cost us from being the #1 overall (with the Virginia loss tonight) to the 2nd or even 3rd #2 seed.

if Duke wins tomorrow and UK wins SEC it will be

Duke-South
    UK-Midwest
    UVA-East
    Zags-West

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    if Duke wins tomorrow and UK wins SEC it will be

Duke-South
    UK-Midwest
    UVA-East
    Zags-West
    Agree.

Let me put it this way.....I would not argue AGAINST it.

I think getting a number one is overrated in this field. It is so obvious that if the committee gives the west a #1 other than GU, it's going to be the worst #1. There is a consistent pattern of the committee favoring GEOGRAPHY over the S-CURVE. The committee is not going to send, say, the best #2 (if GU is not it) to Anaheim. Let's say the best #2 is Tennessee. They will get the south or something like that. It's a practice I do not agree with, but it is how the committee operates and has consistently done so for years. They are not going to move GU out of the west. I have had one analyst say he will chop off his left arm if that occurs. GU is staying in its natural region.

Therefore, what GU is essentially going to be doing is switching uniform colors if they get a 2. Look at the projected 3's and 4's. Do you REALLY see that much of a difference between them? I see a difference between the top 8 seeds and the rest of the nation. Not saying that a 3 seed couldn't take GU down in the S-16. But this bracket is not that powerful beyond the top 8. Potential 3 seeds like Purdue and Nevada bombed out today. Teams that are just not as good as GU.

I see FSU as a probable three seed. I would prefer to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    I see FSU as a probable three seed. I would prefer to avoid them.
    Definitely; if FSU is the 3 in the West then I want the Zags to have the 1 Seed. If FSU is the 4 Seed in the West then I want the Zags to be the 2 Seed. I hope FSU is put In the MW. It just seems like it would be a bad match up - again.

IMO the loss to the Gaels dropped us to a 2 seed. With the quality of teams still vying for a top seed I think once it shakes out the committee will have no choice. I'm ok with that. We play better with a chip so maybe this would do it.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

UNC
    Zags
    SEC loser (uk/tenn)

Personally, I would wait until all of the teams involved finish their season........

No not now. More known by Sunday.
    Right now, Gonzaga, Virginia, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Michigan, MichSt and Tenn.are top 8.
    I suspect it'll be GU, VA, Tenn and Duke on the one line.

Need the championship rounds to be clear. Surprised UNC dropped tonight because they beat Duke twice and lost a squeaker tonight.by 1 pt.

+

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No not now. More known by Sunday.
    Right now, Gonzaga, Virginia, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Michigan, MichSt and Tenn.are top 8.
    I suspect it'll be GU, VA, Tenn and Duke on the one line.

Need the championship rounds to be clear. Surprised UNC dropped tonight because they beat Duke twice and lost a squeaker tonight.by 1 pt.

+
    It's not easy to beat a team 3 times in one season.

i could easily see an argument for unc over zags as the last one seed...the game against duke was basically a toss-up.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i could easily see an argument for unc over zags as the last one seed...the game against duke was basically a toss-up.
    Uhhh - Gonzaga was the only team to beat Duke (neutral floor) with Duke at full strength. Gonzaga did not have Tillie or Crandall in that game. Virginia lost today, and Duke beat North Carolina. We will be a 1 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Uhhh - Gonzaga was the only team to beat Duke (neutral floor) with Duke at full strength. Gonzaga did not have Tillie or Crandall in that game. Virginia lost today, and Duke beat North Carolina. We will be a 1 seed.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    It's not easy to beat a team 3 times in one season.
    We know. So?

I think we’re destined to be 5-6 on the S-curve. The 2 seed in the West seems the most probable destination. I don’t have a problem with that. We had one really good win and three losses. If i was on the Selection Committee, that’s where I would vote to place us.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Just to shut up the whiners across the land, I want a two seed. Could care less about winning a beauty pageant.

Lace em up.
    I miss Mike Hart

I think it’s funny there’s two threads about the same thing with different titles. Lots of worrying about 1 vs 2. In the end geography and matchups more important - as poster referencing FSU’s seed mentioned above.

I will say that for zags I do still think important to show recruits we can consistently get the 1-seed. I also think there is more pressure on zags to not choke in the 1st weekend so as not to fuel the weak conference, over-seeded arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Saturday’s games first.

Note of interest: ‘19 Zags Kenpom. #1 AdO, #16 AdjD. ‘17 Zags, #16 AdjO, #1 AdjD

Just sayin’
    Interesting.

As they say, defense "travels" and always shows up, clearly offense does not.