Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Seeds

Default One Seeds

It's entirely possible that all four One seeds in this year's tournament will have lost their last game before the NCAA's.

Zags and Cavs are one half of the equation.

If UNC beats Duke and loses to Florida State, that would be 3 of 4.

The fourth one is the longest shot unless Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee and Kentucky all lose.

That would be crazy fun, though.

Fun sttuff to watch, crazy fun man!

Gonzaga had all the cards...and they folded .....

I've seen something a few years ago, there isn't a high correlation between winning your conference tourney and winning the NCAA Tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I've seen something a few years ago, there isn't a high correlation between winning your conference tourney and winning the NCAA Tourney.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nca...do-their%3famp
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Gonzaga had all the cards...and they folded .....
    Yep...would have been the #1 seed overall. Brutal Tuesday

I don't know …. it's just sort of impossible for me to compute getting our doors blown off by SMC, not looking particularly good while at it, and "easy conference" Gonzaga still getting a number one seed?

Maybe I'm wrong, but until I see it flashed up there, I just have a very hard time seeing it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Not surprising in ACC or Big 10
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I think Duke just clinched a 1 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    I think Duke just clinched a 1 seed.
    even if FSU beats them tommorow? was a 2 point game the first time they played
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I don't know …. it's just sort of impossible for me to compute getting our doors blown off by SMC, not looking particularly good while at it, and "easy conference" Gonzaga still getting a number one seed?

Maybe I'm wrong, but until I see it flashed up there, I just have a very hard time seeing it.
    Should probably start believing it.

Won't the Kentucky/Tenn winner (provided they win the Final) get a one seed?

Seems to me like it is

Duke
    UVA
    Tenn-Kentucky
    ???
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

winner of Duke-FSU
    Winnner of Tennesee-kentucky
    UVA
    Gonzaga
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

The NCAA committee is not going to forget that Gonzaga beat St. Mary's by 48 in a game this year. The fact that GU lost to SMC in a game that meant 3000x more to SMC than GU communicates to the committee that GU wasn't engaged. Like so many dominant teams worthy of a 1 seed when it comes to their league tourney. Duke is playing and focusing well because they have so much to prove to the committee about the value of Zion to their team. The committee knows that the Zags beat WCC teams by an average of around 26ppg, and before Tuesday, beat every WCC team by double digits. They are going to place much more stock in that than some fluke loss in the WCC title game. Either that, or the committee ought to be ashamed of themselves. There is only so much credit you can give to teams based on conference tourney performance. A 16 game regular season communicates more about what a team is really about when it comes to teams that are protected seeds. I think the committee has shown over the years that when it comes to the elite teams, they tend to favor regular season performance. GU was carrying a 21 game gosh dang winning streak into Tuesday night's game. They were due for a loss. And frankly, as others have argued, it might be for the best that they lost. They caught a flu virus, puked on the floor, and are getting better each day and will be fully healed by the time their next game takes place.

At the end of the day, Gonzaga is STILL the only team to beat Duke at FULL STRENGTH, and they did it on a neutral floor. And they did it without Tillie.

I'm not saying I am 100% certain it is going to lead to a #1 seed, but I don't think we can toss out the possibility. Nor can we toss out the chance that if GU gets a two, it will be the highest two. They might get the worst number one seed, and possibly get to play them in Anaheim. They would essentially just be switching uniform colors. Honestly, I look at the bracket and do not see much of a difference between the 3 and 4 seeds. There's a top 8, and then a big gap.

It’s not the Zags any more after that Duke win. Damn! It’s going to be 3 ACC teams and UK/TN winner. We stepped on our d**** Tuesday night and it’s going to cost us.

Fsu has no chance.

UVA - lock
    DUKE - lock
    SEC winner - LOCK

UNC - 40% chance

MSU (if win out) 30% chance
    GU - 20% chance
    SEC loser 10% chance

My opinion is that GU will be a solid 2 seed. Not sure that you can keep some other teams off the 1 line.
    America's Team!

UVA
    Tenn/UK - if one of them wins SEC
    Duke - if they win ACC
    Mich ST - if they win B10

There is no way the NCAA is going to give 3 number one seeds to the same conference. For one thing, I am not sure it has ever happened in the expanded bracket era. I think what is likely to happen is that the ACC and/or SEC will get 2 number one seeds. If Michigan wins the Big 10, they have a better chance than Sparty to get a number one because MSU has troublesome losses to Indiana (2x) and Illinois.

Some of you are way overreacting. St Mary’s is #30 on KenPom. Not a great loss but not like some of you are making it out to be. Plus too much recency bias. The committee looks at the season en masse. Results in November carry equal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    There is no way the NCAA is going to give 3 number one seeds to the same conference. For one thing, I am not sure it has ever happened in the expanded bracket era. I think what is likely to happen is that the ACC and/or SEC will get 2 number one seeds. If Michigan wins the Big 10, they have a better chance than Sparty to get a number on because MSU has troublesome losses to Indiana (2x) and Illinois.
    My biggest problem with 2 from SEC...you think a UK/Tenn that doesn't make the SEC final is going to be a #1 Seed?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    There is no way the NCAA is going to give 3 number one seeds to the same conference. For one thing, I am not sure it has ever happened in the expanded bracket era. I think what is likely to happen is that the ACC and/or SEC will get 2 number one seeds. If Michigan wins the Big 10, they have a better chance than Sparty to get a number one because MSU has troublesome losses to Indiana (2x) and Illinois.
    It has. About 8 years ago the Big East had 3 teams #1.

As much as the GU fanbase and the team covets a #1 seed, it might be for the best that they get a 2. They will hear no griping from other team's fans, other team's coaches, and analysts. No one is going to object to GU getting a 2 except maybe some GU people. Would that be better for the team. It would lead to less distractions and less controversy. And again, even if GU gets a one, and number one like seed is going to be assigned to the west. It is really about uniform colors, with GU having the advantage of being out west. I just do not see much of a difference between the squads on the 3 or 4 line.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Some of you are way overreacting. St Mary’s is #30 on KenPom. Not a great loss but not like some of you are making it out to be. Plus too much recency bias. The committee looks at the season en masse. Results in November carry equal weight.
    Our loss to Mary is not comparable to Virginia losing to FSU or NC losing to Duke tonight. We have a smaller margin for error. You can’t lose to a team that you beat by 48 and 20 during the season and expect to be a #1 seed. The Zags pissed down their leg on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    It has. About 8 years ago the Big East had 3 teams #1.
    That was also, arguably, the greatest conference in the expanded bracket era now that I remember it. I still would be shocked if it occurs. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if UVA slips to the two line. They lost to Duke 2x. Their best win by far and away is at UNC.