Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: One Seeds

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    Yep...would have been the #1 seed overall. Brutal Tuesday
    What matters is yet to come
    This week will be forgettable very shortly.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    You know what the politicians say..... " If you are quoting metrics....your losing ."
    Having been one, will take it one further; If you’re explaining, you’re losing. But no politics on our board so explain away!

Best retort I heard from Lunardi was when a talking head was questioning Zags not moving off the one line. He asked the guy if he thought the Zags were top 4 in the country up to that game... the guy responded back with a yeah. Joe simply replied: "Why would those 40 minutes change that?" Dude had no response.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It’ll be close. MSU/Michigan winner will challenge but I do the k we stay on the top line.

I don’t get how UNC moved up to the 1 line after losing on Friday and not playing today. Virginia was always a 1 and let’s not fool ourselves, once Zion suited up win or lose Duke was going to get a 1. I think Tennessee wins tomorrow and that moves GU down. Probably where they deserve to be but I don’t get this 3 ACC 1 seed deal. I hope two of them lose in the first game this year. The ACC tournament really didn’t change anything, why didn’t the bracketologists just put the 3 teams on the 1 line last week? The tournament could of gone any other way, UNC beats Duke, Virginia beats either UNC/Duke or Florida beats Duke or numerous other ways and still 3 ACC teams would be 1 seeds. I predict 1 team will lose the first round and only 1 will be left in the final four.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    I don’t get how UNC moved up to the 1 line after losing on Friday and not playing today. Virginia was always a 1 and let’s not fool ourselves, once Zion suited up win or lose Duke was going to get a 1. I think Tennessee wins tomorrow and that moves GU down. Probably where they deserve to be but I don’t get this 3 ACC 1 seed deal. I hope two of them lose in the first game this year. The ACC tournament really didn’t change anything, why didn’t the bracketologists just put the 3 teams on the 1 line last week? The tournament could of gone any other way, UNC beats Duke, Virginia beats either UNC/Duke or Florida beats Duke or numerous other ways and still 3 ACC teams would be 1 seeds. I predict 1 team will lose the first round and only 1 will be left in the final four.
    Who's bracketology are you looking at? Lunardi moved them to a 1 on Monday following the UNC win over Duke and Auburn win over Tennessee last weekend.

It seemed to me, and while I have been following, just not at every turn, that UNC moved to the 4th #1 when Tennessee beat Kentucky.

I would not be surprised to see either Tennessee or Michigan State move to the 4th #1 with a win today.

It would be hard for Michigan or Auburn to move that far up.

I am not sure that the committee wants 3 ACC teams in the #1 slots, but nobody else seems to want it. Virginia, Duke (pains me to say that), and Gonzaga have been the 3 most consistent teams all year. UNC has beaten Duke twice, but has more blemishes, as do Mich State, Michigan, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Those are the top 8 teams, and they are the 1's and 2's.

Until the committee announces their choices, NOBODY knows what the final results will be.

I think the top 3 are Virginia, Duke and the Zags. The number 4 will be one of Mich St, Tennessee or UNC, the odds are not necessarily in that order.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

If tennessee wins and then moves into the west 1 and we go to west 2 the biggest question is

do we prefer Kentucky or Tennessee as the opposite team for potential Elite 8 matchup

hmmmmmmmmmmm
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    If tennessee wins and then moves into the west 1 and we go to west 2 the biggest question is

do we prefer Kentucky or Tennessee as the opposite team for potential Elite 8 matchup

hmmmmmmmmmmm
    I preferred Kentucky as they are younger.

Old friend jimmy dykes just said UT deserves top seed over GU regardless of outcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post

hmmmmmmmmmmm
    VOLS
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Old friend jimmy dykes just said UT deserves top seed over GU regardless of outcome
    dont know why he hates us but he does
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Can Zags bang like these two teams are? Are they Tough Enough?

Tennessee pulls a Gonzaga in conference tourney!

We can thank Bruce Pearl for our 1 seed.

Auburn, Intensity! Zags take note.

Just mentioned on the MSU-UM game; no projected 1 seed has won their conference tournament.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    I preferred Kentucky as they are younger.
    It looks to me like now that Tenn has lost, we'll be the number one seed in the West, but the lowest number one, and thus I believe we will get Kentucky or Tennessee as the highest 2 seeds, and that is okay with me, we can therefore avoid Duke, UVA and UNC (I think the other one seeds).
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...ch-madness-201

Decourcy's final notes before the Selection Show. Keep in mind this was penned 10:35am ET today. However, I don't think the SEC upset changes things. Two big notes, but please read the whole article:

About the Zags who will probably be a one seed:

So who would be the other No. 1s? Gonzaga’s excellent case for the top line was stained by its performance in the West Coast Conference championship game. The Zags’ nonconference schedule didn’t work out exactly as planned. They did win the Maui Invitational, and their neutral-court win over Duke stands as perhaps the best non-league result anyone claimed. But Maui opponents Illinois and Arizona did nothing for them.

They lost by a basket to Tennessee, flew cross-country after first-semester finals and got run at North Carolina and earned a road win at Creighton, which won’t make the field. They are No. 2 in the NET, however, and they obliterated a solid league before that game against Saint Mary’s. They’ll probably still get it, if only because some other competitors also stepped backward this week.
    The ACC is not LIKELY to get three number ones due to there being too many bad teams at the bottom of the league:

Could the ACC produce three No. 1 seeds?

The case for this requires some very generous grading, the kind you wish you had in eighth-grade Algebra.

Virginia is widely acknowledged to be a No. 1 seed with its 29-3 record. The Cavaliers went 3-3 against teams in the NET top 20, but they also dominated the rest of their Quadrant 1 opponents.

Duke doesn’t even need a pass for the three games it lost while Zion Williamson was injured. The Blue Devils still wound up 29-5 with an 8-4 record against NET top-25 opponents. They are the most logical choice for the No. 1 overall seed, which would give them the opportunity to be placed in the NCAA East Region, to be contested in Washington, D.C.

North Carolina, though? The Tar Heels are No. 7 in the NET, 10-6 against Quad 1 and 5-4 against the top 15. They own two victories over Duke, but there isn’t anyone on the committee who doesn’t know those results came against a compromised bunch of Blue Devils.

Do the Tar Heels belong ahead of the Michigan-Michigan State winner or Tennessee?

The Vols are No. 5 in the NET, are 9-4 against Quad 1 and 3-2 against the top 15, with those wins all coming against top-5 opponents (Kentucky twice, Gonzaga).

Michigan State is No. 8 in the NET, and its 12-4 record against Quad 1 represents the most victories at that level of any team in the debate. A Big Ten championship game win against Michigan would elevate that total to 13. For the purposes of this discussion, MSU would be 4-1 against top-15 opponents. They also have some unattractive losses, such as at Illinois and Indiana and home against the Hoosiers.

Michigan is No. 9 in the NET and 9-5 against Quad 1. For the purposes of this discussion, it would be 3-2 against top-15 teams, one of those victories coming head-to-head against North Carolina.

Given the relative weakness of the ACC beyond its top nine teams, with five members ranked outside the top 100, it seems hard to justify the ACC receiving three No. 1 seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    It looks to me like now that Tenn has lost, we'll be the number one seed in the West, but the lowest number one, and thus I believe we will get Kentucky or Tennessee as the highest 2 seeds, and that is okay with me, we can therefore avoid Duke, UVA and UNC (I think the other one seeds).
    And I would much rather Tenn get it because:

1) They do not have the high level pro end talent that UK does, and that does matter in March.
    2) As good of a coach as Barnes is, I feel Few is better, and he's seen Tenn's card.
    3) UK travels better than any team in this field. Tenn will not have nearly as many fans in Anaheim.

Well, the original point of this post was to point out the chance that all of the one seeds in this years tournament might lose their last game before the bracket was announced.

It was a close thing.

Three of the four lost.

In addition, three of the four two seeds lost as well.

Fun stuff.