Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Other Games : Friday, March 15, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Need more basketball: Seton Hall vs. Marquette, 3 point game about 8 minutes left: FS1
    Three players ejected in this one. . .will have to catch the replay on one of the highlight shows. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    wife school-eastern versus our sons school Montana......cant go wrong wtih either winning
    If GU gets one seed I could see either team being our match up in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Was Duke vs. UNC a preview of a Final Four match-up ?
    I hope so. Zags can take on the winner!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    If GU gets one seed I could see either team being our match up in the first round.
    The Duke win tonight is going to bump us to a 2 seed. No chance of playing the Eags. Maybe a 2 vs 15 against the Griz. They may actually be seeded a bit better.

Would have been much better had Duke won easy but I'm glad Duke won. Now I hope they lose to FSU.
    Was Bolden back for Duke or were they playing shorthanded?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Was Bolden back for Duke or were they playing shorthanded?
    Bolden was out but I honestly think that is a good thing for Duke. The guys they had behind him are much better.

Seton Hall knocks off Marquette 81 - 79

Bolden was out but I honestly think that is a good thing for Duke. The guys they had behind him are much better.
    So they STILL weren't at full strength.

Alabama St. 66
    Texas Southern 80 (21-12,14-4)

SWAC Semi
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This link is to a page at cbs sports.com that has links to all of the conference tournament brackets:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...nce-tournament

A complete listing of Friday's games can be found here: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba.../ALL/20190315/
    This is a great link and surprisingly difficult to find from cbssports homepage, at least for me. Kept winding up at their bracket games page.

Thanks for posting this Reno! Good starting point for catching up on all conference tourney scores and highlights.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Would have been much better had Duke won easy but I'm glad Duke won. Now I hope they lose to FSU.
    I predict FSU rolls Duke. Third game in 3 days for short Duke bench plays right into Leonard Hamilton’s come at you in waves strategy. Don’t think Zion scores so easily in post vs FSU bigs, starting w their 7’4#guy.

I hope Zags can avoid FSU. In fact I wouldn’t mind an all ACC #1 seed line of UVA, Duke, UNC, FSU assuming Florida State wins ACC tourney. Reason being is I think selection committee will keep these 4 ACC teams in separate regions, in which case Zags would most likely have to beat one of them to make it to Final Four. If that’s the case, Zags getting dropped to a #2 seed may serve to get our guys good and pissed off and even more determined to prove themselves
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I predict FSU rolls Duke. Third game in 3 days for short Duke bench plays right into Leonard Hamilton’s come at you in waves strategy. Don’t think Zion scores so easily in post vs FSU bigs, starting w their 7’4#guy.

I hope Zags can avoid FSU. In fact I wouldn’t mind an all ACC #1 seed line of UVA, Duke, UNC, FSU assuming Florida State wins ACC tourney. Reason being is I think selection committee will keep these 4 ACC teams in separate regions, in which case Zags would most likely have to beat one of them to make it to Final Four. If that’s the case, Zags getting dropped to a #2 seed may serve to get our guys good and pissed off and even more determined to prove themselves
    I have a feeling Florida St beats Duke as well.

This board is well aware I've been singing FSU's praises all season long, and want to avoid them more than any team not named Kentucky or UNC.

Everyone says there is no way they put 3 ACC teams as #1 seeds. Why not?

We are as enamored by the ACC in bball, as we are by the SEC in football.

I have to assume they are saving the 4th #1 seed for SEC winner, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Duke, UVA, & UNC on top line.

Zags are being demoted and I feel it's deserved compared to the competition.

Body of work, one game does not define you, blah blah blah, but when top seeds lose this time of year, they still fight. They still play. Looking ahead is for losers, that is why it's a cliche.

Still figuring our our lineups and it's middle of March? Tillie injury is no excuse, don't see other still "tinkering" or confused at which guards and when, maybe this big with this one, or play all three together, maybe not, how do we use him, still finding roles, Jones here, or should be Kispert there, etc. Tillie is messing with the chemistry, a good problem to have, but we are still finding ourselves. Not good.

Watch all these teams today, yesterday, day before...they know exactly who their Top 7 or 8 truly are. Pin point precision, the back ups/bench know their roles, not whether they need to score or not score or what not. This all showed up vs SMC. A lot of standing around, waiting, watching, wondering, and who should step up!

Red flags all around. That alone is not #1 seed material. Some of our guys are receiving a ton of public NBA hype and others, who I think want it as well, are simply not. Norvell is one of those guys. He is a team player but subconsciously making a play for the League just as much as Clarke and Rui (even Tillie). Their chances are winding down to impress scouts. They want to be in that same conversation...and playing like it. Rui, on the other hand, played like he didn't want to get injured once the game got physical. Already thinking NBA perhaps? Even if just subconscious thought? When was the last time you saw him drive to the hoop with abandon?

As Coach Few said twice post game, "we got pride get in our way".

Not supposed to happen this time of year, especially top seeds. Gotta know your roles, your teammates roles, you lineups should be set in stone for every situation, and know what you are going to get from your guys. Seamless. That is what I have seen last couple days.

the matchups matter, period.

Zag players know their roles, they've evolved right before our eyes all season, even with the injuries making Few have to adjust all season. so the Zags are trying to re-integrate a key player into the mix? so what. Adjusting and having more than one way to play is a weakness? hahaha

come on, that's a strength. Look no further than UVA last year. unable to adjust even though all players knew their role and played hard, knew their teammates roles and every situation, etc., with no one looking ahead to the NBA, and they got punked. Unable to adjust, able to play just one way, ran into a matchup on the perimeter they could not adjust to, lost...and they lost while still playing hard, but so what? everyone plays hard

in fact, against SMC and by not adjusting and still trying to play up tempo and the 'Zag way' even when it wasn't there, cost us mightily in that game, hurried bad shot after hurried bad shot.

Zags do have weaknesses of course, all teams do. Giving up the o boards is one of them, as is the post D, but this has been true all year. the perimeter D does get beat off the bounce, but they are also forcing the bounce to deny catch and shoot 3s

Anyway, as I've noted throughout Rui's entire career at GU including his off season play with Japan, his post D is his biggest weakness, teams attack him there, repeatedly. Bennett knows this and sent giant after giant to make Rui defend the post. All teams Zags face will go after him there, as will any matchup he faces the rest of his life until he makes them stop by making teams pay for attacking him there. Side benefit to the opposition is it controls tempo too when they shoot a high % on those post ups and Zags can't run. See SMC game.

But that means Rui is thinking ahead to the NBA? good grief, then he has been all season. And frankly, if he is thinking ahead, he needs to prove he can defend the post to those guys

Good luck! Paging spywhozaggedme! Honestly I am no Kentucky fan mainly because of Calipari but I don't see them as a serious threat to unseat us as long as Duke wins tonight.

Edit: even if they don't I still think we will be a higher seed than Kentucky but I would be a little more nervous about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I have a feeling Florida St beats Duke as well.

This board is well aware I've been singing FSU's praises all season long, and want to avoid them more than any team not named Kentucky or UNC.

Everyone says there is no way they put 3 ACC teams as #1 seeds. Why not?

We are as enamored by the ACC in bball, as we are by the SEC in football.

I have to assume they are saving the 4th #1 seed for SEC winner, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Duke, UVA, & UNC on top line.

Zags are being demoted and I feel it's deserved compared to the competition.

Body of work, one game does not define you, blah blah blah, but when top seeds lose this time of year, they still fight. They still play. Looking ahead is for losers, that is why it's a cliche.

Still figuring our our lineups and it's middle of March? Tillie injury is no excuse, don't see other still "tinkering" or confused at which guards and when, maybe this big with this one, or play all three together, maybe not, how do we use him, still finding roles, Jones here, or should be Kispert there, etc. Tillie is messing with the chemistry, a good problem to have, but we are still finding ourselves. Not good.

Watch all these teams today, yesterday, day before...they know exactly who their Top 7 or 8 truly are. Pin point precision, the back ups/bench know their roles, not whether they need to score or not score or what not. This all showed up vs SMC. A lot of standing around, waiting, watching, wondering, and who should step up!

Red flags all around. That alone is not #1 seed material. Some of our guys are receiving a ton of public NBA hype and others, who I think want it as well, are simply not. Norvell is one of those guys. He is a team player but subconsciously making a play for the League just as much as Clarke and Rui (even Tillie). Their chances are winding down to impress scouts. They want to be in that same conversation...and playing like it. Rui, on the other hand, played like he didn't want to get injured once the game got physical. Already thinking NBA perhaps? Even if just subconscious thought? When was the last time you saw him drive to the hoop with abandon?

As Coach Few said twice post game, "we got pride get in our way".

Not supposed to happen this time of year, especially top seeds. Gotta know your roles, your teammates roles, you lineups should be set in stone for every situation, and know what you are going to get from your guys. Seamless. That is what I have seen last couple days.
    That makes two of us on FSU. Got tired of my own repetitiveness on pointing out what they did to us at the dance last year and what they’re still doing. To for once cut it short, FSU =‘s Quality Depth, just don’t skip a beat going deep, real deep!

SMC scored 60 points and fans call out Rui's defense as an issue...please.
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    SMC scored 60 points and fans call out Rui's defense as an issue...please.
    Defense was not an issue from my view in this particular game from the team as a whole
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

In the Duke/UNC game did anybody else think the 5th foul against UNC's Brooks with about 2 mins left was a BS call? It became a three pt play and Duke won by 1. I thought it should have been a no call instead of an and 1.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.