Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rui, Clarke, and Tillie All Return: Tell Me Why I'm Wrong

Tillie staying doesn't make sense to me.

- Being older hurts your draft value
    - Familiarity breeds contempt
    - No $$$

I could see the weak argument to slim down Tillie in the off-season as he may of gotten bigger than his frame can handle. Some players can take on the bulk to their advantage (Olynyk) and some can't (Harris). Then you could showcase a year as a quicker, bouncier, skilled stretch 5 that could bring back his draft stock but it would be pretty risky.

The benefits to any of these 3 players coming back seem to be outweighed by the risk and I think their support will tell them that.

If he can stay healthy there’s another huge reason we could use Tillie. Our leaders are likely to be gone come May. Nothing developes young players like an experienced senior and one who can lead.

Starters returning or not? NBA prospect or not? What works well or best for the Zag nation under Few's very, very successful 20-year program?

I'm with all of you who "speculate, wish, hope and desire" the Zags always have the best team on the court whether that means the player gives up the NBA for one year or not. But many of you agree, and I do also that players are individuals who are entitled to priorities and goals, sometimes which may not mesh entirely with GU's fanbase. Even those who leave early, it has been our experience, never forget they are Zags and return to Spokane and Zagville for workouts, fellowship and memories. Collins, Nigel, Domas, Kelly O....all of them did what they thought was best for each of them.

Also we are often reminded that the NBA drafts on potential and it doesn't take a extremely experienced and knowledgeable basketball guru to appreciate the attraction for, motivation for and hope for an NBA career, not to mention the money involved after 10-15 years of hard work training (and the money sacrifices of parents and players during that time) and devotion to get to the point that "Hey I can do this and I'm opting for the NBA draft." So let's let these kids (very talented kids of course) decide what to do, hopefully with sound and solid advice from family, coaches and trusted advisers.

Sorry, as a retired attorney I remember getting paid "by the word" at work so I blab a lot. You are getting this free. Now for the important news.

VERY< VERY INTERESTING article in my Wall Street Journal in the last couple days about the Maverick's rookie Lucas Doncic whose analytics are off the chart and close to Rocket's Harden. Doncic at age 16 went to the "P3" basketball training program in Santa Barbara, CA founded and run by a physician Marcus Elliott. He attended at 17, 18 and voila drafted. The article reveals that the number one skill learned and trained for at P3 is the physical ability to
    "stop quickly". This benefit for Harden is his "step back 3". Doncic has tested very close to Harden and ergo, no surprise that he put up numbers this year off the chart for rookies and even some veteran NBAers.
    Strongly recommend everyone read the article or look up the P3 program. The article goes into much more depth if you are interested.

My final point is. We all agree Rui and Brandon are great, athletic players but to make it in the NBA they probably still fall into the category of "potentials." I'm predicting if Rui availed himself of the P3 program and any team that drafts him should send him there after school and he could become everything they hoped for from the draft. Same goes for Brandon. We all agree Rui has the highest ceiling so I contend
    Rui reaches that ceiling as does Brandon because they are both very coachable. Snacks could probably use it too because at the next level he needs to develop and use the Harden step back 3 better than he already does.

So Rui and Brandon are gone, maybe Tillie comes back to get healthy and I agree with the poster that his senior leadership will be great for our great new committed prospects to enter into the Few development program and continue the Zag incredible story.

A Zag and basketball addict GU '61

Need to quickly agree Mark Few's development program for Zag players is probably the best in college basketball, so my prior post should in no way deprecate what our basketball coaches do or have done at GU.

Rui scoring the last 3 games: 16, 16, & 9.

Not concerned at the low output, by his standards, as much as his lackadaisical play. He hasn't been "engaged', or playing with urgency or effort.

I swear, I haven't seen Rui drive to the rim, an actual physical drive since the BYU game.

Appears to be playing cool, chill, going through the motions.

This isn't accusatory or negative, rather an observation.

Think of the last Rui drive, or body sacrifice to the rim? Honestly...it hasn't happened in weeks.

I hope to see a Rui like we did in big games early this season or FSU last season, as in sincere effort, not just looking cool or no expression.

I'd like to see a physical, focused, mean Rui.

Sometimes just too laisse faire, esp lately.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Rui scoring the last 3 games: 16, 16, & 9.

Not concerned at the low output, by his standards, as much as his lackadaisical play. He hasn't been "engaged', or playing with urgency or effort.

I swear, I haven't seen Rui drive to the rim, an actual physical drive since the BYU game.

Appears to be playing cool, chill, going through the motions.

This isn't accusatory or negative, rather an observation.

Think of the last Rui drive, or body sacrifice to the rim? Honestly...it hasn't happened in weeks.

I hope to see a Rui like we did in big games early this season or FSU last season, as in sincere effort, not just looking cool or no expression.

I'd like to see a physical, focused, mean Rui.

Sometimes just too laisse faire, esp lately.
    lob from Perk and Hunter undercut him to the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    lob from Perk and Hunter undercut him to the floor
    Good point, Hunter was something else that game.

A man amongst boys in terms of effort.

He secured offensive rebounds, put backs, and 1's, etc.

15 rebs for a kid who was out lengthed & out matched from a physical and athletic standpoint.

Surprised everyone including us fans

DON'T ASSUME CLARKE IS HEADED TO THE NBA. ZAG FANS MIGHT BE SURPRISED

Quote Originally Posted by Snowkane View Post
    Stop messing with people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Snowkane View Post
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift..."

--Steve Prefontaine--

Hey, anything MIGHT happen, aside from things that are actually impossible. One thing I know for sure is that Josh isn't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by meadgrad02 View Post
    Well I always wondered if Morrison stayed another year of his NBA career and legacy would have been better.

It depends on what Tillie wants to do. If he heads straight to Europe he won’t make the NBA. Stay another year and get a deal like JW3 or stick on a team. 150K is chump change when the ultimate lure is millions. Look at NWG. He wishes he stayed one more year. Europe will always be there.

My new civility strategy is going to be more difficult than I thought...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    My new civility strategy is going to be more difficult than I thought...
    You should do fine, until they release the Kraken.