Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rui, Clarke, and Tillie All Return: Tell Me Why I'm Wrong

Default Rui, Clarke, and Tillie All Return: Tell Me Why I'm Wrong

Rui, Clarke, and Tillie all return -- tell me why I'm wrong.

I've got a strange suspicion that all 3 return. Look at Rui's developement year over year and project what one more year does for him -- he becomes a top 1-4 draft pick. Look at the development of Clarke in his short time at GU -- what does one more year do for him? Likely a top 10 draft pick. Tillie, due to injuries and lack of playing time has to come back if he wants to be drafted or play in the NBA. Europe will always be there waiting... the NBA requires him another year at school.

The ceiling for these three players hasn't even been close to being reached... but they won't get the kind of development that they need sitting on the bench in the NBA or at NBA practices. One more year of college (specifically at GU) is the only prescription for the development they need.

Potential 2 time national champions or at least one national championship.

I know that sounds too good to be true, and Rui is as good as gone... and Clarke is probably too depending on what happens during the tournament.

Something tells me all three stay one more year.

Any good insurance brokers in Spokane who can get these guys a high dollar disability and loss of value insurance policy?

At some point player development can only get you so far. These guys need better competition in order to reach that next level. I felt the sameway about Domas, he was not really challenged and glad he is able to showcase his skills on a bigger stage. Short term it will be tough, but recruits and transfers will take note at the varierty of players GU brings in with different situations and how MOST of them are better off.

First off, if they all returned the team would be 1 over the scholarship limit unless there are transfers out

Second, there would be such a glut at the 4 & 5 spots with the huge recruiting class coming in next year that its bound to cause some of the recruits to ask out of their commitments which is BAD.

Third, Hachimura & Clarke are locks to go pro...why would they pass up the opportunity to make enough money to be set for life now and risk losing it all to injury?

The only person I see potentially coming back is Tillie, and even he certainly has the option to play for good money overseas.

Rui has always been on a three year plan and is pushing for a Top 10 selection spot in the NBA draft. Clarke's value is as high as it's ever been and another year is likely to do nothing to help him out. Tillie could choose to return but I have heard his plan is to go pro whether that ends up being the NBA or GLeague or Europe.

I just don't see this happening...I'd say like 95% chance it doesn't.

No way. Neither Rui or Clarke will materially improve their game — or Draft status — coming back. Rui will just float one more year. In fact, how much money is Rui costing himself by playing so lackadaisical? If he had Clarke’s motor he’s top 5.
    I assume he and Clarke are long gone but that Tils returns. To break our hearts one more year. Love the kid, but man.....

The answer is MILLIONS of dollars and their desire to play in the NBA.

A good NCAA tourney by any of them almost guarantees that one, two or all three leave.

Hopeful wishing won't change that.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowkane View Post
    Rui, Clarke, and Tillie all return -- tell me why I'm wrong.

I've got a strange suspicion that all 3 return. Look at Rui's developement year over year and project what one more year does for him -- he becomes a top 1-4 draft pick. Look at the development of Clarke in his short time at GU -- what does one more year do for him? Likely a top 10 draft pick. Tillie, due to injuries and lack of playing time has to come back if he wants to be drafted or play in the NBA. Europe will always be there waiting... the NBA requires him another year at school.

The ceiling for these three players hasn't even been close to being reached... but they won't get the kind of development that they need sitting on the bench in the NBA or at NBA practices. One more year of college (specifically at GU) is the only prescription for the development they need. I think this is a big misconception. There is a lot of time spent getting young guys more prepared in the nba. For one thing, it’s your full time job. No classes.

Potential 2 time national champions or at least one national championship.

I know that sounds too good to be true, and Rui is as good as gone... and Clarke is probably too depending on what happens during the tournament.

Something tells me all three stay one more year.
    I would put this at a million to one. So Jim Carrey agrees there’s a chance.

Any good insurance brokers in Spokane who can get these guys a high dollar disability and loss of value insurance policy?
    Plus, the NBA doesn’t value college experience, quite the opposite. In 2018 the first senior picked was #21. 2017, the first senior was picked 29th.

Killian would be the only one.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Agree and it's a soft maybe right now imo
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

And my gut tells me Killian coming back is 50/50 at best.

You don't understand the NBA if you think these players won't be developed in a significantly superior way than staying in college. They will have access to the best training, the best coaches and the best competition. If they are serious about their development, they have all day, every day to improve regardless of how many game time minutes they receive. None of these guys will significantly improve their draft status by coming back with the possible exception of Tillie. Even he won't climb the draft boards because of an increased skill set. His draft improvement would be based on staying healthy.

Be excited about the new crop. Because these guys hopefully will be giving us joy at the next level.

I'd put Killian at less than 50% coming back IMHO
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'd put Killian at less than 50% coming back IMHO
    I'll take it.

Wishful thinking, but for Rui and Clarke, they really won't get much better by staying at GU. The Zags may play 5-7 games per year against competition with any NBA quality players...those 2 need to move on and grow at the next level. Tillie should come back but will probably go overseas and make a good living somewhere other than the NBA...
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

This post is from last season, right?
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Tillie eyeing the G League 2 way deal J3 was able to earn.

He is just looking for an opportunity.

IF he hadn't been able to return, at all, this year he would habe likely returned next year.

But he 4/5 3pt in Vegas, and proved he is back and ready to make a push.

Rui 100% gone.

Clarke 95% leaving

Tillie 80%

Next year bigs will not be getting anywhere near the opportunities considering the point guard issue.

I haven't seen any mock draft with Brandon as a first rounder, so there's a chance he stays. He won't get the contract he deserves if he's a 2nd rounder.
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

$.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Despite the fact that all 3 are surely gone, all 3 have every [green] reason on Earth to play out of their collective minds in the NCAA tournament.

Play great, rise to the occasion, jump 8 spots in the draft, extra …. what? $750,000 over 2 years? Something like that? Damn, one can "earn" $750,000 in 3 weeks time, basically. It takes GoZags 6 months to make $750,000, college kids in 3 weeks, pfft.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...draft-3-12-19/
    Rui 17, Brandon 19, Zach 50, Tillie 58

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...draft-3-12-19/
    Rui 17, Brandon 19, Zach 50, Tillie 58
    If Tillie average 18 ppg and 8 rebs, 2 blocks in the NCAA, very doable for him, he goes to 25, and probably would be 15 if not so injury prone.

Also probably gets us at least one extra game over had he not played.

Lots to gain upcoming.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Rui and the coaching staff have discussed publicly that he's always been on the "3 year plan."

Brandon is gone because of the age thing.

My gut says Tillie is coming back, even if Vecenie in his mock had him as a first rounder. He has to prove he can STAY healthy throughout an entire season.

isn't Ballo coming in Sept 2019?
    Is it that he can't get on chart above until he actually has a scholarship signed?
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 03-14-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Rui and the coaching staff have discussed publicly that he's always been on the "3 year plan."

Brandon is gone because of the age thing.

My gut says Tillie is coming back, even if Vecenie in his mock had him as a first rounder. He has to prove he can STAY healthy throughout an entire season.
    Can't he "prove" that in France at $150,000/year?
    Mark Twain.