Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we overthinking one loss?

Default Are we overthinking one loss?

Mark Few said a few weeks ago that SMC was better than we think.

I don’t think the media, the players, you, me, Joe Schmoe down the street believed him either.

I was of the thinking earlier that SMC was not a good team at all. 48 point win, capped off by another comfy win at their place led all of us to believe they didn’t deserve a spot in the big dance. Not only do they deserve it now, they earned it. Randy Bennett even said his team played with Gonzaga minus a few spurts. Saint Mary’s is a good team y’all. Wake up and smell the coffee. Metrics, and their win against us proves it. They executed everything perfectly. To. The. T. Tip your caps to them.

We didn’t play with any fire or emotion. You really think we’ll do that if we played in the tourney? Last night everyone crowned us before the game started. Before the tourney started. Look what happened. A good team beat us.

Don’t overthink it folks. We are still a national title contending team. ONE GAME doesn’t change that. Look at how fluid we were on Tuesday. We thought we’d roll over the Gaels Tuesday. IT HAPPENS. We play our game we will be most teams if not everyone.

The overanalyzation of the worst scoring output we’ve had since Duke in MSG is mind boggling
    Last edited by gonzagafan62; 03-13-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Totally agree.

I am offended at the 'experts' here on the board spouting all the negative crap.

Should it carry over, they can say 'I told you so', but while I don't mind honest critiquing and criticism, do so with a modicum of class, or do it to your mirror.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post

I don’t think the media, the players, you, me, Joe Schmoe down the street believed him either.

I was of the thinking earlier that SMC was not a good team at all. 48 point win, capped off by another comfy win at their place led all of us to believe they didn’t deserve a spot in the big dance. Not only do they deserve it now, they earned it. Randy Bennett even said his team played own Gonzaga minus a few spurts. Saint Mary’s is a good team y’all. Wake up and smell the coffee. Metrics, and their win against us proves it. They executed everything perfectly. To. The. T. Tip your caps to them.

We didn’t play with any fire or emotion. You really think we’ll do that if we played in the tourney? Last night everyone crowned us before the game started. Before the tourney started. Look what happened. A good team beat us.

Don’t overthink it folks. We are still a national title contending team. ONE GAME doesn’t change that. Look at how fluid we were on Tuesday. We thought we’d roll over the Gaels Tuesday. IT HAPPENS. We play our game we will be most teams if not everyone.

The overanalyzation of the worst scoring output we’ve had since Duke in MSG is mind boggling
    Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, what else is there to do?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Totally agree.

I am offended at the 'experts' here on the board spouting all the negative crap.

Should it carry over, they can say 'I told you so', but while I don't mind honest critiquing and criticism, do so with a modicum of class, or do it to your mirror.
    Thank you will. That’s exactly how I feel too
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, what else is there to do?
    Watch other games, and relax till selection Sunday. Then hate the committee till they screwed us. That’s ususlly what I do haha. Okay, maybe not always the last part, just mostly.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Watch other games, and relax till selection Sunday. Then hate the committee till they screwed us. That’s ususlly what I do haha. Okay, maybe not always the last part, just mostly.
    The last part being the getting screwed, or the hate?

I'm so confused!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The last part being the getting screwed, or the hate?

I'm so confused!
    Well I mean, both lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

It's hard for the fanbase not to when the team had been beating WCC teams by 27ppg and beat SMC by 48 at K2. Also, the team had won 21 straight, and has two All American candidates on it.

St. Mary’s is good, but this is only the second game all season that these Zags didn’t have much of a push to win. The only other game they never had life was against UNC on the road. Vegas was filled with more Zags than Gaels, which makes it extra confounding. I think they’ll be fine for the tourney, but there’s a lot to look at as far as how many things went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's hard for the fanbase not to when the team had been beating WCC teams by 27ppg and beat SMC by 48 at K2. Also, the team had won 21 straight, and has two All American candidates on it.
    I agree completely. I'm more disappointed in the effort we put out. If we played balls to the wall and left it all out there I wouldn't be as disappointed. It's how we lost.
    America's Team!

Good call He me. We didn’t show much desire, toughness or “pushback. That’s the ha rest part to swallow. We’ve gotten t the talent to go the distance. I hope we figure it out over the next week. I do hope Josh gets back to form. It the bigs whoreally need to toughen up for this stretch run. We are not ready for the season to conclude! Not after the year we’ve had..

One loss? Try EVERY loss!

Am I the only one that went on an abstinence from college hoops kick since the end of that game?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I was of the thinking earlier that SMC was not a good team at all. 48 point win, capped off by another comfy win at their place led all of us to believe they didn’t deserve a spot in the big dance. Not only do they deserve it now, they earned it. Randy Bennett even said his team played with Gonzaga minus a few spurts. Saint Mary’s is a good team y’all. Wake up and smell the coffee. Metrics, and their win against us proves it. They executed everything perfectly. To. The. T. Tip your caps to them.

Thanks for writing this very positive post. It should give fans something to think about. I have not always been positive, but overall I keep trying to be. I have always believed that it's best to be positive. When I fail I try to catch myself and then get back on the positive track. With this team it's been easy to get back on it. This is such a great team. I think every GU fan has believed that this team is special. When a great team loses it's easy for fans to find fault. It's normal. But, as you indicate, let's get over it and move on. This is what we hope the team does, and this is what I hope that those fans who have become negative will do.

I really loved the thread about Who is your favorite Zag? What impressed me was that every Zag is someone's favorite Zag. And that really is true about this team. There are so many great players. Most likely it's a collection of basketball players who may become the best Zag team ever. Many pundits believe this. I think that this team has more believers behind it than any previous Zag team. So those of you who doubt, please try to remember all the fantastic and beautiful things that this team has done. There is great potential in this team, and I believe that will reach it. There are two All Americans on this team and maybe three NBA players. We have a Hall Of Fame Coach. What else do we need?

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Am I the only one that went on an abstinence from college hoops kick since the end of that game?
    No.

And, I don't know about others, but my college basketball season ends with the last Zag game. The last thing on Earth I want to watch right after the Zags lose is more "March madness."

On another note, now having read about Coach Fortier's loss (bless her and her family), I simply have to believe that it was on Few's mind during the entire game.

Few sort of looked like he'd had his bell rung a bit, and he can get "dinged" by sudden events (recall FSU).

First, the entire basketball "family" at GU is just that, the coaches share workspace, they likely do their compliance continuing ed together, socialize, all that, so on that basis alone, it had to hit him. Second, the ONE place a coach feels like the world is "shut-out" is when coaching a game, nothing can get through, except - well, "life." And so for Fortier to see Roth there saying he needed to talk, she had to know almost instantly, and I can't help but wonder if it had Few thinking throughout the game, about her, about how he'd handle it.

Part of what I like so much about Few, part of why I believe he's such a success, is he CANNNOT simply laser-focus on basketball, he's always a person/husband/father/friend first.

I just don't think it was a coincidence that the performance came about the way it did. And, when it comes right down to it, it's only basketball.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Absolutely brutal. Feel just as bad as I did after the National Championship loss. Having a hard time shaking this loss off. Usually love to watch the other tournaments this week after Zags win the conference tourney. Loved to see the Zags listed as "automatic qualifiers" shown throughout all of the games and halftime reports. Have zero interested now. Embarrassed to have that "other team" listed now. Just a pathetic showing Tuesday night in "Spokane South"...ugh

I'm already over it. We had a bad game. We have a week to prepare for some cupcake school. There is so much good CBB on TV today that I won't even think about the Zags. I'm also a Syracuse fan; one of my relatives went there and I just love the way Marek Dolezaj plays. Now if only they can boat race Dook..........
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

One bad game, but sobering. When I look at the SMC shot chart for that game, the Gaels basically had their way in the paint. Similarly, in the UNC game (another bad, bad game), every time they UNC needed a basket it seemed like they could get what they wanted inside. I worry about the Zags running into a team with lots of size, and just not having an answer. Clarke comes-up with hi-light blocks, but do we have the ability to defend consistently inside? (I won't get into my worries about in-game adjustments, and weird lineups.) The Tennessee game I chalk-up to inexplicable defensive lapses in the last minute or so. The silver lining (if there is one), is that the Zags redoubled their defensive efforts post-UNC, and became a much, much better team. I expect we'll see a better version of the Zags next week.

Not sure. While the game is only one data point, the Zags have struggled when teams slow the pace of the game down. This is a significant vulnerability. Zach also has a tendency to chuck at times, and this can exacerbated when he isn’t in a rhythm. Finally, I worry about health concerns.

For those reasons, I can’t say that we can simply ignore this game.

No

Our guards (Perkins, Norvell, Crandall) shot 5-27 and 0-10 on 3-pointers. As a team, GU was 2-17 on 3s ... 1-17 after Kispert buried a 3 on the first shot of the game. Nobody is going to beat a good team when that happens.

They're all good shooters who had a fluky off night. Shooting can be random over short sample sizes, just like hitting in baseball.

Glad the off night happened in Vegas instead of next week. Hope it doesn't happen again.

So, yes, we are overthinking one loss. But I'm pretty sure that's what message boards (and Twitter) are for.

I think this board needed a sky is falling kind of game. Heck a three loss season is awesome and in the aftermath I have seen coaching complaints, phantom injuries, and other minor conspiracy theories. My thought is that if we had to lose a game to someone in the conference it may as well be to the team I dislike the most, now I have a reason to hope we crush them next year.

On the good side, we can hope that Saint Mary’s does some damage wherever they get placed in the bracket. It can only help us if they can show they aren’t as weak as others think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    St. Mary’s is good, but this is only the second game all season that these Zags didn’t have much of a push to win. The only other game they never had life was against UNC on the road. Vegas was filled with more Zags than Gaels, which makes it extra confounding. I think they’ll be fine for the tourney, but there’s a lot to look at as far as how many things went wrong.
    More than the loss, the thing I actually care about basketball-wise is if this will affect our tourney performance. And I agree with Mal - I don’t think it will.

All it takes is one more.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    All it takes is one more.
    Frigging' perfect.

The Board's reliable - and needed - half empty guy.

Hey, it IS true that the glass is always both half full and empty.

And, Jazz, all it takes is waxing a 15 seed by 35, and handling a 7 seed by 20, things assumed a week ago, and we're on our way …

My dear hope is that this game teaches these guys a lesson in effort, adjustments, etc. so that when this year's team faces its "WVU moment" it makes the steal and hits the 3.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.