Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norvell in Gonzaga's three losses this season

I feel as though the guards collectively failed to realize how bad they were shooting themselves, and forgot that they had others on their team (Clarke) that were not in a slump. Gonzaga plays best when the guards are passing and facilitating. Clearly i'm not the coach, but what I saw from my own subjective point of view was a bunch of guards who felt responsible for the hole they were in, but felt that they needed to dig out of it by themselves. Recipe for disaster.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I feel as though the guards collectively failed to realize how bad they were shooting themselves, and forgot that they had others on their team (Clarke) that were not in a slump. Gonzaga plays best when the guards are passing and facilitating. Clearly i'm not the coach, but what I saw from my own subjective point of view was a bunch of guards who felt responsible for the hole they were in, but felt that they needed to dig out of it by themselves. Recipe for disaster.
    I agree, the guards must get back to passing. I've had the sense they have been starting to feel like its "their turn" to turn it on. Perkins alluded to this during a recent interview, about scoring more points. I realize they both have futures beyond bball and literally ALL the attention has been Clarke & Rui, yet now is not the time to "prove" yourself. Stay the course. You're on the #1 team for a reason, as in being the Captain of the Ship.

Our assists per game average was 19 per game, we've been putting up 11, 12, & 6 vs SMC.

They need to feed the bigs and each other again. I'm sure the tape will be telling. Both Norvell, Perkins, Geno had several opportunities to find the big underneath or an outlet, yet for some reason, they felt the need to attempt (force?) the floater, drive into two guys for a TO and steal, miss the outlet or kick out, etc.

They would hesitate, then take the 25' 3pt shot instead of finding guys or at very least...simply moving the ball.

Rui even lost interest as he wasn't getting the ball. He is accountable for some of this, yet several possessions he had good position in the paint, or at the elbow, only for Norvell and Perkins to stare at the rim while holding the ball. And they pulled the trigger.

I think a big part was not knowing how to deal with playing from behind since before Christmas. Again, stay the course. Keep doing what is working.

We played against the grain vs SMC, especially our lead guards, and Kispert or Geno weren't much better, they follow the others lead, no doubt.

Some soul searching is needed by our guards this week. In recent weeks they have really been pressing. Some of it is what the defense has given as they are adjusting to defenses sagging, but even then, Rui and Clarke, esp Tillie, were pretty darn open and we went back-to-back-back 3's when down 1 point. That is like being down 1 with 25 seconds to go, and launching 3's with 2 possessions to go = not smart.

They will figure it out. March Madness, whether you like it or not, is dictated by consistent and saavy guard play. They must step up. As good as our frontcourt is, there is always a team or two who will stop it, adjust, and in turn, we need to make proper adjustments. Its part Coaching, but mostly the 'Coaches' on the court i.e. guards.

Norvell and Perkins want to play their part, make an impact, but they aren't the saving grace of this team. And don't need to be. Just because you average "15 ppg" doesn't mean you have to score that if others are making shots. Its not a turn based offense as they've been treating it, rather an opportunistic offense.

Norvell has been very guilty of this in NCAA Tournament games, a hero in one game, doesn't mean you have to be the hero every game. So, quit pressing, find and take what defense gives you, and keep the ball moving, and assist #'s up. When our assists are up, our offense is unstoppable and sometimes our guards forget this. Keep defenses honest enough but play to our strengths. Simple formula.

Our hopes rest in the hands of Norvell and Perkins. Quite literally. It will be up to them to feed the guys, move the ball, find the winning play. Norvell's best games and our best games as a team is when he scores 14 pts, 5 rebs, 4 assits, 4-8 3pt. That kind of thing, I prefer when I notice Norvell but also not notice him, if that makes sense.

This game would've been totally different if Few had adjusted to SMC by running Tillie, Rui, and Clarke together

Or speeding up SMC's offensive possessions by applying 3/4 court pressure starting in first half. And I just honestly don't understand why Jeremy Jones wasn't put into the game before it was really too late. He always makes something happen, especially on defense -- very disruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by theman.themyth.thelegend View Post
    I agree, the guards must get back to passing. I've had the sense they have been starting to feel like its "their turn" to turn it on. Perkins alluded to this during a recent interview, about scoring more points. I realize they both have futures beyond bball and literally ALL the attention has been Clarke & Rui, yet now is not the time to "prove" yourself. Stay the course. You're on the #1 team for a reason, as in being the Captain of the Ship.

Our assists per game average was 19 per game, we've been putting up 11, 12, & 6 vs SMC.

They need to feed the bigs and each other again. I'm sure the tape will be telling. Both Norvell, Perkins, Geno had several opportunities to find the big underneath or an outlet, yet for some reason, they felt the need to attempt (force?) the floater, drive into two guys for a TO and steal, miss the outlet or kick out, etc.

They would hesitate, then take the 25' 3pt shot instead of finding guys or at very least...simply moving the ball.

Rui even lost interest as he wasn't getting the ball. He is accountable for some of this, yet several possessions he had good position in the paint, or at the elbow, only for Norvell and Perkins to stare at the rim while holding the ball. And they pulled the trigger.

I think a big part was not knowing how to deal with playing from behind since before Christmas. Again, stay the course. Keep doing what is working.

We played against the grain vs SMC, especially our lead guards, and Kispert or Geno weren't much better, they follow the others lead, no doubt.

Some soul searching is needed by our guards this week. In recent weeks they have really been pressing. Some of it is what the defense has given as they are adjusting to defenses sagging, but even then, Rui and Clarke, esp Tillie, were pretty darn open and we went back-to-back-back 3's when down 1 point. That is like being down 1 with 25 seconds to go, and launching 3's with 2 possessions to go = not smart.

They will figure it out. March Madness, whether you like it or not, is dictated by consistent and saavy guard play. They must step up. As good as our frontcourt is, there is always a team or two who will stop it, adjust, and in turn, we need to make proper adjustments. Its part Coaching, but mostly the 'Coaches' on the court i.e. guards.

Norvell and Perkins want to play their part, make an impact, but they aren't the saving grace of this team. And don't need to be. Just because you average "15 ppg" doesn't mean you have to score that if others are making shots. Its not a turn based offense as they've been treating it, rather an opportunistic offense.

Norvell has been very guilty of this in NCAA Tournament games, a hero in one game, doesn't mean you have to be the hero every game. So, quit pressing, find and take what defense gives you, and keep the ball moving, and assist #'s up. When our assists are up, our offense is unstoppable and sometimes our guards forget this. Keep defenses honest enough but play to our strengths. Simple formula.

Our hopes rest in the hands of Norvell and Perkins. Quite literally. It will be up to them to feed the guys, move the ball, find the winning play. Norvell's best games and our best games as a team is when he scores 14 pts, 5 rebs, 4 assits, 4-8 3pt. That kind of thing, I prefer when I notice Norvell but also not notice him, if that makes sense.
    ^truth^

less of this

more of this

I'm not usually irrationally optimistic, but I have a feeling (based on nothing, except his performance in March last year) that Norvell is going to heat up during the tournament. If the Zags make the Final Four, he'll be the west region MOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    ^truth^

less of this

more of this

The pictures capture exactly what was occuring.

Perkins had a huge game in Moraga as he converted his drive attempts.

SMC adjusted, we didnt.

There were numerous instances of Perkins and Norvell dribbling into nothing and trying to make the play afterward.

Sometimes, following bad team performances, the Coach will "throw away the tape", and simply move on.

I hope this games isn't one of those times.

So much on tape to learn from, mostly Perks, Geno, Snacks, but others too.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I watched the first half just now. That charging call on Norvell when he supposedly ran into the back of Ford (I think it was) was one of the worst calls I have seen this season. Norvell was clearly distraught after the call, and it went all down hill from there. I know it's hard, but you have to leave that stuff with the coaches. Let Few handle it. I think Few is better at working over the refs than some fans think. I have never been a big believer that throwing your jacket and going nuts leads to getting more calls. Look at how Coach K. does it.
    read Hunters lips ....he says "GOOD FOUL" to Ford before he realizes the call was on Snax

SMC played a smart and well executed game. The Zags did neither.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I'd like to see Zach hit the hoop hard more often.

Go at the rim - either draw foul or get the bucket. Put pressure on the defense from perimeter.

I love the 25' 3's as well, spreading the floor is great, yet Norvell is legit 6'5", 200lb guard. I wish I saw more of going to the rim.

Not to mention, he is our only legitimate threat around the rim, outside Rui/Clarke.

This team can beat anyone, yet as CDC pointed out, it often starts and ends with Norvell having a good game. If the past is any indication...its always him leading the charge, separation, dagger, or the comeback.

Me, being more on the specific topic of Norvell .... I really like Zach and admire his level of effort in each and every game. Some times you miss, some times you don’t. He’s one of the NBA possible Zags who I do think will benefit by playing another year @ GU. I feel his best play in a more consistent manner has yet to materialize as a Zag. I don’t count that out beginning next week.

This loss to SMC may have come at just the right time (full roster) to yield the best positive team response at the best time as there will have been a week and change to reflect, plan, strategize and practice. This loss could prove to be a blessing in disguise.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png