Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give SMC Credit

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Naw these are just excuses. We played like sh**, it is pretty much that simple. There is no conspiracy, no throwing of games etc. that is all B.S.
    But playing less than their A game allowed SMC to earn a ticket to the ball. Good for the WCC; hopefully bad for a mediocre power 5 team. We’re looking at you Indiana.

SMC fought believed and persevered.

Good job.....welcome to the dance.

Now go deep and bring home the cash.

Congrats to RB. You have no idea how much this means to him......I guess the tougher preseason sked did pay off after all....A S16 for the Gaels wd be sweet and $$$$$ for the WCC.

Thank you SMC for preparing the Zags for a similar situation in the Dance. And good luck to SMC in the Dance as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Thank you SMC for preparing the Zags for a similar situation in the Dance. And good luck to SMC in the Dance as well.
    Exactly. Good job, Gaels. Perhaps see you in the Final Four! What a story that would be. Plus, perhaps San Diego or San Francisco can win the NIT, and Pepperdine the CIT. Thank you, WCC. Dream big.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    People on other boards are speculating that we intentionally threw this guy. At first I thought that was an insane theory but with Tillie only playing 5 minutes in the second half and Few making zero adjustments and us still possibly being a 1 seed, maybe it’s plausible.
    More than plausible IMO

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    More than plausible IMO
    Lots of fishy signs. Few’s always a poor in game responder, but not this bad. There was no sense of urgency. That’s the fishy part. Players just lolly-gagged, no furrowed brows. Especially Rui, who’s way too cool. Only Kispert seemed to care. Maybe Clarke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Naw these are just excuses. We played like sh**, it is pretty much that simple. There is no conspiracy, no throwing of games etc. that is all B.S.
    Much as I’ve disagreed with you this week, this we will always agree on ..
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    More than plausible IMO
    No it’s not
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

First off... honestly... kind of proud that this board didn't go full meltdown... in fact people seem at peace.

Now... to the game... ugly is the best word. SMC stuck to their plan of slowing it down. Couple that with off shooting nights for just about everyone and a sudden inexplicable inability to hold onto the ball (50-60% of GU turnovers had NOTHING to do with SMC) and you get last night's result. This is why you slow the Zags down... gives you a punchers chance. If you get lucky to have the Zags be off a bit and you stay 100% disciplined and stay on the path you can win. Bravo to SMC for believing in the plan and executing it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It was a weird game. No real flow from the get go and pretty much everyone played like crap. I don't think that is going to happen very often. That being said, heading into a one and done tourney is a little disconcerting to say the least. This wasn't a game where we were competitive and lost on a buzzer beater. We were clearly lost almost the entire game, not just one or two players but the entire team. That is the real disturbing part. We also don't have that 6th man spark off the bench for instances like this. I don't think Few did enough to light a fire at half time since the 2nd half was even worse than the first by a large margin.

Masterful game by the black horde.... Gollum had them primed and ready and they controlled the game.... fought harder and wanted it more... had an uneasy feeling all day after the women lost... didn't think the Gaels could put together 40 minutes like that... this win will be talked about by SMC fans for years to come, when's the parade down under?.... Guess what? We are not invincible.... best time for a wake up call... this is what it feels like to get beat by a #16 seed cause there was no way SMC was making the tournament without this win... Gollum knows the Zags, would be nice for the Gaels to have some success in the Dance... show that this wasn't a fluke and that they indeed belong.... not just based on this win but show they have the ability to play the game for 40 minutes every game.... congrats to the black horde.... it seems Gollum has found his precious...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Great Game Gaels! Congrats on the dance. You earned it!

They clogged the lane and took our bigs out of it... begged our guards to beat them over the top. They couldn't. They slowed the game, limited possessions and out hustled us. Good for them. Hat's off. They finally scheduled a bit tougher, took some lumps early, but it paid off and made the team better. No longer are they cupcake soft at the end of the year. Notice the difference between USF and SMC on how their seasons ended? Now look at the schedules.

GU will be fine. Just like 2017. Call it a wake-up-call. Reality check. Whatever. Stop reading the clippings about how good you are. EARN IT.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Masterful game by the black horde.... Gollum had them primed and ready and they controlled the game.... fought harder and wanted it more... had an uneasy feeling all day after the women lost... didn't think the Gaels could put together 40 minutes like that... this win will be talked about by SMC fans for years to come, when's the parade down under?.... Guess what? We are not invincible.... best time for a wake up call... this is what it feels like to get beat by a #16 seed cause there was no way SMC was making the tournament without this win... Gollum knows the Zags, would be nice for the Gaels to have some success in the Dance... show that this wasn't a fluke and that they indeed belong.... not just based on this win but show they have the ability to play the game for 40 minutes every game.... congrats to the black horde.... it seems Gollum has found his precious...

Go!! Zags!!!
    I'm confused, I thought TJ Haws was Gollum.

Tons of heart from the SMC players to come out and put that kind of effort out there. They earned it.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I can't imagine a more disrespectful take than even the slightest suggestion that Gonzaga threw this game, not only to SMC but to the Gonzaga players and team.

This was the last WCC title game for Perkins and likely for Rui and Clarke. It was a chance to secure not only a 1 seed but perhaps the top overall seed. It was a chance to celebrate a tournament win and showcase their consistent excellence on a rare ESPN game that was in relative primetime.

They fell flat, the whole group. SMC executed a great game plan and when coupled with some poor calls, awful shooting AND shot selection, way too many turnovers, and a snail's pace, it was a recipe for disaster. I'm hopeful that the silver lining will be a focused Gonzaga team that goes into the NCAA tournament with a renewed chip on their shoulder and sense of urgency. Hopefully the time off will not only provide rest but also allow the sting of this loss to motivate them through a first weekend where anything can happen.

I remain insanely, overwhelmingly proud of this group of young men. If the injuries and devastating family situation in the WBB side offers anything, it is a reminder that the basketball side of things is very minor when all is said and done. Last night was not a Coda and does not take away one bit of the awesomeness of this group. I hope it's the last game they lose this season.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Tons of heart from the SMC players to come out and put that kind of effort out there. They earned it.
    Exactly. The were focused all game and played with an intensity. We were laxadsdal and disinterested.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Nope he's Sméagol...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Exactly. The were focused all game and played with an intensity. We were laxadsdal and disinterested.
    No one threw the game. Period. Look yourself in the mirror and repeat after me: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

We played like crap and coached just as poorly. It was as if the team thought the number next to their name on Sportscenter entitled them to another big win. I'm willing to bet the coaches were pretty worried all week because a game like this is usually due of the weeks lazy preparation.

The boys played hard, but that's the minimum cost of admission to March. Now they know. Wakeup call heard. Time to get hungry again.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    True. They were very emotional after the game, and deservedly so. They hit big shots, played physically and controlled the tempo— something other teams tried this year but were unsuccessful at. When possessions are limited and the game is slow, each miss and turnover is magnified. I think the Zags played tight and played right into SMC’s hands. They seemed more interested in complaining to the refs than matching SMC physically, at times. The Zags have a great front court but it is undersized, so they have to play with an edge if they are going to be successful in March— an edge they didn’t have last night.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    TJ Haws is Caillou.

Randy Bennett's masterpiece. He was more excited than I thought he was capable of. Congratulations for a great coaching job Randy! This is a HUGE deal to take down the #1 ranked team in the country and he should be proud. SMC scoring came from a lot of their guys which is a bit unusual for them. They wanted this more than our guys and coach did and got it.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    People on other boards are speculating that we intentionally threw this guy. At first I thought that was an insane theory but with Tillie only playing 5 minutes in the second half and Few making zero adjustments and us still possibly being a 1 seed, maybe it’s plausible.
    Does this look like a guy that’s throwing a game?

only the brief spurts of energy after the half, and a couple of time outs, looked like the energy we have seen from the zags all year. I wondered if somebody put valium in our lunch drinks.
    yes Bennett's game plan was smarter than Fews, and Few was unable to make adjustments. Perkins was the only player consistently trying to drive the lane, and other players are better than him at that task
    On defense we were often standing up rather than crouching in to face the opponent.
    I can't explain the lack of energy, or low motivation, or whatever.
    I am sure we didn't throw the game, but I can see why some would say that.

[QUOTE=zagfan24;1441944]I can't imagine a more disrespectful take than even the slightest suggestion that Gonzaga threw this game, not only to SMC but to the Gonzaga players and team.QUOTE]

This. "Imbarassed" that it is even brought up.
    But we don't play nobody.