Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 86

Thread: Give SMC Credit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    488

    Default Give SMC Credit

    Can't even hang 50 on SMC? Zags didn't deserve to win. Not in the slightest.

    It's not always the best club that wins. It's who has the most magic for about 2-3 hours, and SMC had more, tons more.

    Bring your A game or be gone. That's what make the bracket so cool.

    Be it good, bad or indifferent SMC had more juice tonight. Good for them. No sour grapes here.

    What club does with this in the future? That's up to them.

    Think the doubters were loud today. Wait until tonight.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    6,230

    Default

    Outcoached. Outplayed. Simply put.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    Perfect storm. Hunter and Fitts played out of thier minds. Zach and Perk at thier worst.

    The timing is awful. A full two weeks of not being able to redeem, to let doubts linger.
    I miss Mike Hart

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    I kind of expected at least 1 game that ugly on our end somewhere during the season - it never really materialized. Better now than in the next tournament (hopefully there is only 1 that bad!) - especially if we don't lose the #1 seed (I think some blue blood will take it away from us by this weekend IMO).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Outcoached. Outplayed. Simply put.
    March Madness...the Gaels won it and it really wasn't that close....the Gaels are dancing and they deserve it...Like Montana said, they played harder and smarter.

    Gonzaga probably a 2 seed...hopefully a angry 2 seed..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    934

    Default

    All year we've heard:

    WCC has improved significantly.
    WCC is better than the Pac 12.
    WCC has a winning record vs Pac 12.
    WCC has a winning ooc record.

    Zags played bad basketball tonight. One seeds are allowed to play a bad game or two. The fact that a WCC team was able to beat the Zags on a bad night, to me, proves all of the above.

    Hopefully this is a good thing for the Zags. The NC team lost to BYU on senior night. This is the 2019 team's senior night reality check.

    I hope SMC makes a tournament run and that there momentum carries into the 2019-20 season and inspires other teams like BYU and USD to pick up the pace.

    Bad night for the Zags. But on the whole a good night for our league and for the future and for our tournament run.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    All year we've heard:

    WCC has improved significantly.
    WCC is better than the Pac 12.
    WCC has a winning record vs Pac 12.
    WCC has a winning ooc record.

    Zags played bad basketball tonight. One seeds are allowed to play a bad game or two. The fact that a WCC team was able to beat the Zags on a bad night, to me, proves all of the above.

    Hopefully this is a good thing for the Zags. The NC team lost to BYU on senior night. This is the 2019 team's senior night reality check.

    I hope SMC makes a tournament run and that there momentum carries into the 2019-20 season and inspires other teams like BYU and USD to pick up the pace.

    Bad night for the Zags. But on the whole a good night for our league and for the future and for our tournament run.
    One seeds who play a bad game in their mid-major conference tournament become 2 seeds in a New York minute. Agree with everything else. . .


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    “They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    6,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    March Madness...the Gaels won it and it really wasn't that close....the Gaels are dancing and they deserve it...Like Montana said, they played harder and smarter.

    Gonzaga probably a 2 seed...hopefully a angry 2 seed..
    Ill say 1 seed but obviously not overall.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Outcoached. Outplayed. Simply put.
    Outcoached? I’ll give you outplayed, but what coaching adjustment do you make if you’re the coaching staff? Down three at half with turnovers and shots not falling? I give no credit to Bennet. He lost twice this year to the same team and once by close to 50. GU laid an egg. This reminded me more of the UW game than anything. Zero energy. We just didn’t keep it close enough at the end.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Love the win for SMC but I do feel for you guys.
    You’ve got a Final Four to think about guys.
    Tons in front of you so no need to spend much time looking in the rear view mirror.
    C’mon...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    Their defense on Hachimura, in particular, was outstanding tonight. They forced him to shoot over the top of the defense. They forced him to make decisions with the ball on the perimeter when his shot wasn't falling. None of those Perkins to Clarke/Rui slam dunks.

    The Zags also got sucked into wantin to speed up the game. While I agree that Few should've employed a press earlier on, the Zags only had something like 6 assists tonight. Too many quick shots. Not enough patience working the ball around. Its why I fear Virginia more than any other number one seed except maybe Duke at full power.

    This team won 21 games in a row. Bennett is a genius coach, and let's be honest, SMC had way more to play for than GU. And despite some struggles, SMC ultimately only lost by 4 pts. to the SEC champ. I know GU beat them by 48 in K2, but that game was a perfect storm of events.

    Funny enough, both Morrison and Huddy still feel GU is a #1 seed. It's just that GU is probably going to be worst #1 and have to play in SLC which they do not wish to do. That is what was conveyed on radio. Both guys said the key is STAYING OUT WEST. Even if GU is a 2, STAY OUT WEST.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    6,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    Outcoached? I’ll give you outplayed, but what coaching adjustment do you make if you’re the coaching staff? Down three at half with turnovers and shots not falling? I give no credit to Bennet. He lost twice this year to the same team and once by close to 50. GU laid an egg. This reminded me more of the UW game than anything. Zero energy. We just didn’t keep it close enough at the end.
    Force smc to not waste the clock down to 2 to 3 seconds. Maybe press them before 3 minute mark. Feed the post and not let the guards fire away.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    The Gaels did exactly what they wanted. The made us play there game not the other way around. They didnt play out of there minds but stuck to a blue print. I was confused with many of our lineup changes.
    America's Team!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    343

    Default Give SMC Credit

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Love the win for SMC but I do feel for you guys.
    You’ve got a Final Four to think about guys.
    Tons in front of you so no need to spend much time looking in the rear view mirror.
    C’mon...
    Better spend some time looking in the rear view mirror, because this game raises some red flags.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    Let's face it: the whole thing was a disaster. Everyone has their fingerprints on this game.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Force smc to not waste the clock down to 2 to 3 seconds. Maybe press them before 3 minute mark. Feed the post and not let the guards fire away.
    I’ll concede that all those sound like great adjustments, but consider that Few purposely didn’t make any substantial adjustments in order for this to be the tape that opposing coaches will use as a blueprint. It’s really genius if you think about it ��

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    - jumping on board, to at least, yes give st. Mary's their due, they played well, played their game plan.

    - I hate bill Walton, but the only reasonable thing he ever says is basketball is about playing in your comfort zone, while making your opponent play outside of theirs. st Mary's did that to perfection.
    - we thought we could play slow ball, did not think we had to press and take them out of their comfort zone. I get it, we all thought the zags would win even by grinding it out, so I am not going to get all upset with the coach.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Love the win for SMC but I do feel for you guys.
    You’ve got a Final Four to think about guys.
    Tons in front of you so no need to spend much time looking in the rear view mirror.
    C’mon...
    C'mon? I don't think a pep talk is necessary. Good luck in the tournament.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    6,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    I’ll concede that all those sound like great adjustments, but consider that Few purposely didn’t make any substantial adjustments in order for this to be the tape that opposing coaches will use as a blueprint. It’s really genius if you think about it ��
    Lol awesome! Im not that upset. I think a loss helps sometimes. Go zags!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Flush this Zag turd and get ready for the madness. Congrats to SMC - more money for the WCC. Make the Sweet 16 Gaels. Good Luck!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,536

    Default

    We should close this thread! It MIGHT contain negative vibes, Moriarty!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    I’ll concede that all those sound like great adjustments, but consider that Few purposely didn’t make any substantial adjustments in order for this to be the tape that opposing coaches will use as a blueprint. It’s really genius if you think about it ��
    I would stop short of calling it genius. It's the same blueprint Pacific employed in the their first game, and it was ugly. SMC hit many tough shots today, too their credit. Taking the air out of the ball and praying works when you make your shots and the other team shoots uncharacteristically badly (SMC made things tough on GU defensively but the game was still winnable with all of the open shots that were missed). SMC played soft on Perkins to focus on Clarke and Rui and Perkins missed several shots. Norvell was off all night. Rui disappeared for big chunks of this game and didn't look like he wanted to challenge SMC. Clarke barely touched the ball. The Zags were looking at the refs all night when it was clear that the refs were going to let SMC do their thing. There's a lot to look at the next two weeks...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,438

    Default

    People on other boards are speculating that we intentionally threw this guy. At first I thought that was an insane theory but with Tillie only playing 5 minutes in the second half and Few making zero adjustments and us still possibly being a 1 seed, maybe it’s plausible.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    Naw these are just excuses. We played like sh**, it is pretty much that simple. There is no conspiracy, no throwing of games etc. that is all B.S.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Naw these are just excuses. We played like sh**, it is pretty much that simple. There is no conspiracy, no throwing of games etc. that is all B.S.
    100% this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •