Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: GAME THREAD - ST. MARY'S VS. ZAGS, WCC TITLE GAME, MARCH 12, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Gonna have to figure out our identity this week.

Are we lob to Clarke/Rui or bust? Or pass to Rui and watch? Or Norvell to launch a 25' 3?

Also, zero adjustment to SMC game plan.

Horrible coaching by Few tonight.

Terrible effort by Gonzaga.

St Marys will talk about this for next decade.

Awful job by Gonzaga tonight in a historic season and team.

Couldn't finish.
    Blue Print game for Zag dance opponents. Have said Zags are a FLOW team. SMC stopped the flow.

Agree- terrible effort all around. Rui’s effort level lately has me concerned

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Gonna have to figure out our identity this week.

Are we lob to Clarke/Rui or bust? Or pass to Rui and watch? Or Norvell to launch a 25' 3?

Also, zero adjustment to SMC game plan.

Horrible coaching by Few tonight.

Terrible effort by Gonzaga.

St Marys will talk about this for next decade.

Awful job by Gonzaga tonight in a historic season and team.

Couldn't finish.

This is what I worried about.
    Zag guards other than Norvell cant guard quick players.
    Rui plays too soft at time. Him and Clarke never box out and that will haunt them in the tournament.
    Few makes zero changes defensively almost always. Hates playing zone, even for 5 possessions that may make a big difference.
    Perkins is a roller coaster, plays incredible one game, next he looks like a bench player who hasn't got a clue.
    Lets hope they dont get knocked out in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    4 seed here we come
    I think we hold onto a 3 seed this yr.

It's so right at top, thin margin for error. I mean look at 1 and 2 seeds.

I feel it drops 2 seed lines.

Not to mention, we were the only game airing tonight

Time to turn off ESPN. And my phone. Stupid alerts.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by omahazag View Post
    Agree- terrible effort all around. Rui’s effort level lately has me concerned
    He actually said in an interview last week, his goal is to play "cool".

Take that how you want, or maybe something got lost in translation.

But maybe too cool for school isn't cutting it.

What is really unfortunate is that Clarke, Hachimura, Kispert, and Tillie didn't play all that bad and shot respectably from the field and rebounded well but this loss falls completely on Norvell and Perkins. Instead of playing the inside game those two shot bad shot after bad shot and just played terrible. 8 Turnovers, 5 Fouls, & only 4 Assists between the two of them. They didn't play team ball tonight and it cost them the game. This is the type of play that Perkins has been criticized for and some of this is also on Mark Few because he should have sat Norvell and Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    SMC was on a mission. GU played like they were simply waiting for the coronation.
    Yep. I hope Withers or Meehan or some reporter has the guts to ask Few why he didn’t go to the trapping press say earlier; what specific adjustments did he ask his team to make to counter Bennett’s strategy?

I love this team but I’m also a competitor. That was embarrassing. Coaches and players really lost some luster for me with that championship on the line performance.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Since every thread on the main board is getting deleted since discussion isn't allowed after a loss i'll say it in here.

Elephant in the room: Did Randy Bennett just bend Mark Few over that bad? Yes he did... Pressure the damn ball against teams like that.

All got outplayed minus clarke and outcoached.
    Love the zags for life

Randy Bennett made us pay tonight. Handed over the blue print on beating Zags. Give up the dribble, and roll off screens, stop the "flow", control possessions/tempo/pace, isolate Perkins & Kispert on perimeter. And isolate the post defensively with one bigger guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    This is the team that beat Duke? St Mary’s earned it. Nothing went well tonight for the Zags.
    They DID earn it. They played harder, smarter and better. Let’s not, in our disappointment, take it away from them. They beat us fair and square. They deserved to win. We didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    Since every thread on the main board is getting deleted since discussion isn't allowed after a loss i'll say it in here.

Elephant in the room: Did Randy Bennett just bend Mark Few over that bad? Yes he did... Pressure the damn ball against teams like that.
    Discussion isn’t allowed after a loss?? Is this new? Agreed, Few got worked by Bennett. Don’t get why Few let him dictate the flow of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    On the plus side, it's a wakeup call to us... we won't play like this again.
    If the first half or even first three quarters of the game weren't a wakeup call, I am not sure what will change. Almost zero adjustments on either side of the ball despite knowing, from the first play, what they were going to do. A foul 11 seconds in showed they were going to get physical and we didn't match it. From the very beginning, we saw them slow it down and jack up shots. I don't think I have ever seen such a frustrating game.

Most troubling of all to me was the attitude of the players they didn’t seem to care. Too much prancing too much cool

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    They DID earn it. They played harder, smarter and better. Let’s not, in our disappointment, take it away from them. They beat us fair and square. They deserved to win. We didn’t.
    I respectfully disagree, nothing about that performance needed to happen. St Mary’s was permitted to play basketball like everyone was suspended in molasses for 40 minutes. They didn’t force it to be that way, they were allowed to play that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Most troubling of all to me was the attitude of the players they didn’t seem to care. Too much prancing too much cool
    Agree. No gameplan from Few to switch defense when SMC was wasting the clock.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Agree. No gameplan from Few to switch defense when SMC was wasting the clock.
    Randy Bennett more or less put their win on Norvell's play tonight.

TEAM loss tonight, no one showed up except BC. Worst team loss I've seen in maybe a decade. No energy, no urgency, no poise. The guys only scored 47 points.......think about how bad that is. 47 points in 40 minutes, there are no words to describe that debacle.

I have no idea who those guys in the GU uniforms were tonight. Embarrassing loss, in every way. Can't hang this on anyone, everyone (including the staff) played a part in this horrible effort. Bye bye 1-seed, hope the ZAGS don't fall all the way to a 3. It could happen, throwing up on yourselves that badly in the final game prior to Selection Sunday gives the committee carte blanche to seed the ZAGS anywhere they want, and there are no excuses wherever they land.

Forget the eye test, both my eyes got gouged out tonight. Very very hard to watch, especially with all that was at stake. No idea which team will show up for the Dance. Play like tonight and it's one and done.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by cscz28 View Post
    I respectfully disagree, nothing about that performance needed to happen. St Mary’s was permitted to play basketball like everyone was suspended in molasses for 40 minutes. They didn’t force it to be that way, they were allowed to play that way.
    They played smarter means we didn’t play as smart. What happened happened and happened because they played smarter.
    Also better and harder because playing smarter allowed them to.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    TEAM loss tonight, no one showed up except BC. Worst team loss I've seen in maybe a decade. No energy, no urgency, no poise. The guys only scored 47 points.......think about how bad that is. 47 points in 40 minutes, there are no words to describe that debacle.

I have no idea who those guys in the GU uniforms were tonight. Embarrassing loss, in every way. Can't hang this on anyone, everyone (including the staff) played a part in this horrible effort. Bye bye 1-seed, hope the ZAGS don't fall all the way to a 3. It could happen, throwing up on yourselves that badly in the final game prior to Selection Sunday gives the committee carte blanche to seed the ZAGS anywhere they want, and there are no excuses wherever they land.

Forget the eye test, both my eyes got gouged out tonight. Very very hard to watch, especially with all that was at stake. No idea which team will show up for the Dance. Play like tonight and it's one and done.

Go ZAGS
    Maybe it’s been too easy, too long with too much accumulating praise. After beating these guys by 48, why would our guys think that tonight would be anything different? Maybe we got ambushed, both by SMC and ourselves!?

They wanted it more than we did. It showed. Terrible shot selections by Zags throughout.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Rui only put up 6 shots for the game?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by cscz28 View Post
    Agreed 100% GU gave this game away to a vastly inferior team. Gotta take a good long look in the mirror, because GU is why GU lost tonight.