Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's your favorite player on THIS Gonzaga team? Why!

Default Who's your favorite player on THIS Gonzaga team? Why!

It's finally time for the Zags to play in the Conference Tournament. It seems like forever since we've seen them play. I'm so excited. To help the day pass quickly, and in some sense of peace, I'll plan on spending a part of my day here on GUBoards reading some really good threads. Like this one. I'm excited to read what you all think.

My favorite player is Rui Hachimura. I love how he plays the game. He is poetry in motion. I love how he dribbles the ball down court. When he runs down court with the ball in his hand, he flows like a dear. He's 6' 8: and plays with the skills of a guard. He has the prettiest jump shot on the team. He jumps high before he shoots, and releases the ball with a perfect grip that creates a perfect arc to the basket. The ball spins round and round and flies to the hoop like a flying saucer that knows it's destination. I love to watch him jump, both when rebounding and when he dunks the ball. He has the skill of a kangaroo. And finally, I really appreciate how he has improved defensively. He has worked really hard to become a good defender on a team where every player must be able to guard every player on the opposing team: guards, forwards and centers.

When I first saw him play, at the international FIBA 18 and under tournament, I fell in love with him. I dreamed that one day I'd say him playing on a Gonzaga team like the one we have now. I dreamed of seeing him as the star of that team. I remember how he was the star of that Japanese team he played on, but my thoughts would float into imagining him in a Zag uniform with teammates who could win a National Tournament. Could this be the team I was imagining him playing on?

Good luck Rui! You can do it.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

For this year's team, it would have to be Brandon. Every night, he gives 110%. Whenever he blocks a shot, I bolt out of my viewing chair, and yell "CLARKE BAY-BEE"! I pray he stays for his senior year; he is only projected to be a 2nd round pick.

BC. Nuff said
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Thanks for this great picture of Rui.

Go Zags!!!

Asking who is your favorite player is kind of like asking which is your favorite child. I love watching Perkins orchestrate the game and Geno in someones face on defense. Watching Snacks shoot daggers from 3 at clutch time has a real thrill factor for me. I love watching Rui take it to the hoop with power and he is totally locked in from inside 15 feet. But I have to admit, the smile on my face lasts longest when Clarke slams an allyoop.

Coach Few.

None of this happens without him.

lAs soon as I figure out my favorite sibling, child, grandchild I post my favorite player. Usually it is whoever made the last basket, steal, assist, blocked shot, rebound. Who's my favorite just isn't a question I ever ask.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

My favorite player is Josh 'Snacks" Hashiclarke.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Love them all! This morning gotta go with Norvell. When he is hitting his 3 ball it’s daggers!

My Frankenzag has the intelligence of Perkins, the charisma of Rui, the explosiveness of Clarke and the swagger of ZN.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Well Played! +1
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Yeah... I really like that guy too.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

On the court, BC has to be my favorite. As a personality, Snacks gets my vote. He's a great interview subject.

I'll go with the all time winningest pg in cbb history.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    On the court, BC has to be my favorite. As a personality, Snacks gets my vote. He's a great interview subject.
    I've noticed that lately too, Snacks answers interview questions so well. The others often give somewhat dry, short answers (especially BC) but Norvell's answers give you much more insight into the program.

Favorite player for the year has got to be Clarke, with Rui and Snacks a close 2nd and 3rd. Clarke's game is electrifying, easily the most athletic player we've ever had at GU.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    My Frankenzag has the intelligence of Perkins, the charisma of Rui, the explosiveness of Clarke and the swagger of ZN.
    Since you left out Corey, I think he's got a lot of heart. Shortly after this picture was taken, Corey gave Big D about 30 minutes of instruction, punctuated by hoisting him on his shoulders for Big D's first dunk in the Kennel.

Rui. I love the smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocco View Post
    lAs soon as I figure out my favorite sibling, child, grandchild I post my favorite player. Usually it is whoever made the last basket, steal, assist, blocked shot, rebound. Who's my favorite just isn't a question I ever ask.
    Closest I can get is my favorite grandchild:

Big D, GU Recruiting Class of 2029.

Here he is being welcomed into the "family" by a member of the Class of 2016:

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Rui. I love the smile.

Rui's going to make millions with that smile. From what I saw, he really enjoys being around the kids.

Jeremy Jones. Has anybody else ever given up a full scholarship at another great university to walk on at Gonzaga just to be a part of the Zag experience?

His heart, leadership, and court awareness rival the greatest players in the history of the program.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

A bit O/T, but ESPN's been showing a nice segment about Rui on Sportscenter today.

It struck a chord with me when Rui was asked, "why Gonzaga?" He said he felt so comfortable during his first visit, a sentiment most of us can relate to.

Personally, I think his upside is higher than Zion, unless Zion drops about 30 pounds. The stress on his body of 80-100 game NBA seasons will be amplified by the weight he carries.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Jeremy Jones. Has anybody else ever given up a full scholarship at another great university to walk on at Gonzaga just to be a part of the Zag experience?

His heart, leadership, and court awareness rival the greatest players in the history of the program.
    If he helps get the Zags to a Final Four - not even need a NC, just if he helps get the Zags to the FF, there better be a 30 for 30 made about that, and someone needs to just make a real movie about it.

I've got the perfect person to play the lead, Jeremy Jones. He seems to be able to do whatever else he sets his mind to.

I don't have a "favorite" player, but seeing Josh play with so much joy and confidence this year is to me the most heart-warming personal player story. Hearing him talk about executing what the coaches want, staying positive (like the coaches) he just became the next "coach on the floor" the latest in a long line.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

To all of you have shared, thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

We have arguments in my house about our guys.

I love Rui. His offensive skills are off the charts. I know that when we need a bucket he’s going to deliver. I know when we are playing a tough team he’s going to get us buckets when we need it. I love his passion for the game. I love his story.

My wife loves Brandon. She acts like she discovered him. She loves that he is always in control, but is also always the most athletic guy out there too. She loves how hard he’s worked to improve his free throw shooting. She loves how unselfish he is.

My daughter loves Snacks. It probably started with the nickname, but she loves his confidence and swagger. She loves that he backs up that confidence with made baskets.
    Bring back the OCC