Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liam Lloyd 2020?

Liam Lloyd
    @LiamLl0yd
    · 3m
    Excited to announce that I will be committing to Grand Canyon University!������#lopesup @GCU_MBB @GCUHavocs https://pic.twitter.com/p01Zaegl50

Congrats to Liam!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

If you made a list of schools in the West where the student body and school admin care a lot about their basketball program then GCU is really high on that list. And this is despite the fact they've this will be only their 7th year in D1, without an NCAA tournament birth. They sold out a lot of their games last year in a 7,200 seat stadium, even outside of big matchups. Good pick by Liam in my opinion.

Maybe a GCU non conference game in the future.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wasn't very knowledgeable about GCU until I went to PK80. I was surprised at what a big school it is. Their fans were very friendly, spirited, and represented their team and school well in that tournament. Great choice for Liam.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I wasn't very knowledgeable about GCU until I went to PK80. I was surprised at what a big school it is. Their fans were very friendly, spirited, and represented their team and school well in that tournament. Great choice for Liam.
    They weren't in the PK80, I think you're talking about the game last year in Phoenix when GU played Tennessee and I think GCU might have played Nevada.

You are correct bdmiller, GCU did not play in the 2017 PK80 tournament, but their students/fans had a huge cheering section wearing team colors and were also well distributed throughout the stands. They were very supportive of GU. I sat next to some GCU fans during a couple of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    You are correct bdmiller, GCU did not play in the 2017 PK80 tournament, but their students/fans had a huge cheering section wearing team colors and were also well distributed throughout the stands. They were very supportive of GU. I sat next to some GCU fans during a couple of the games.
    Makes sense. GCU has 20,000 students on campus, but another 70,000 online students. Lloyd will also get to play for Thunder Dan. He'll be one of the non-GU players I'll definitely be following.

Default Gonzaga Recruiting Misses

So in light of last night's 46 points against Central Valley will Liam Lloyd join Joe Harris in the pantheon of all-time Gonzaga recruiting misses? Prep is so inexperienced this year it's definitely going to be a showcase season for a guy that played in Watson's shadow for the last couple years. At least Grand Canyon's not part of the WCC!

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    So in light of last night's 46 points against Central Valley will Liam Lloyd join Joe Harris in the pantheon of all-time Gonzaga recruiting misses?
    How can he be considered a recruiting "miss" when he made it clear in May 2019 he didn't want to play at GU:

Liam Lloyd: 2020 SG looking to create own legacy

“I’m not going to play for my dad,” said Liam. “I want to branch out, do something different and create my own legacy.”

https://247sports.com/college/basket...edo-131916200/

So in light of last night's 46 points against Central Valley will Liam Lloyd join Joe Harris in the pantheon of all-time Gonzaga recruiting misses? Prep is so inexperienced this year it's definitely going to be a showcase season for a guy that played in Watson's shadow for the last couple years. At least Grand Canyon's not part of the WCC!
    Not a recruiting miss at all. Liam choose to make his own path in basketball and Tommy fully supports it!

Seems he could play at a higher level than GCU. What happened with Davidson and the USNA? Is he a good student?

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Not a recruiting miss at all. Liam choose to make his own path in basketball and Tommy fully supports it!
    At a faux college?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    At a faux college?
    Playing at an up and coming mid-major instead of one trending down like Davidson?

On the west coast with great weather and an incredible student section?

For a coach who was successful in the NBA playing a similar position as Liam?

Yeah, I'd say he made a pretty good choice.

Are you comparing Davidson in any way shape or form with GCU? Please say you’re not. And it’s pretty far from the Pacific.

Davidson is the 17th ranked liberal arts college in the US. GCU is 293 out of 381 national universities. Like comparing Bergdorf’s with Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Playing at an up and coming mid-major instead of one trending down like Davidson?

On the west coast with great weather and an incredible student section?

For a coach who was successful in the NBA playing a similar position as Liam?

Yeah, I'd say he made a pretty good choice.

Are you comparing Davidson in any way shape or form with GCU? Please say you’re not. And it’s pretty far from the Pacific.

Davidson is the 17th ranked liberal arts college in the US. GCU is 293 out of 381 national universities. Like comparing Bergdorf’s with Walmart.
    I'm purely comparing basketball programs.

Thats what most fans took it as Hooray.......but you know jazz.......

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Thats what most fans took it as Hooray.......but you know jazz.......
    Right, how can basketball compare with academics. If you’re kid isn’t gonna be a pro, the conventional strategy is to leverage his or her athletic talent to get to the best academic institution possible. But, as you said, that’s me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    I'm purely comparing basketball programs.
    Bob McKillop is a hall of fame coach; Dan’s a great rebounder. C’mon.

Bob McKillop is a hall of fame coach; Dan’s a great rebounder. C’mon.
    This line is classic.
    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Quote Originally Posted by NontradZag View Post
    This line is classic.
    You mean like in the hall of fame? Thanks, Non.

Still averaging 32+ through three games- and 65% of his points coming off 2s and the free throw line. This weekend's three game tournament at Gonzaga College High School in DC should be a good opportunity to confirm my hunch that he's actually a Pac-12 caliber player who signed too early.

Still averaging 32+ through three games- and 65% of his points coming off 2s and the free throw line. This weekend's three game tournament at Gonzaga College High School in DC should be a good opportunity to confirm my hunch that he's actually a Pac-12 caliber player who signed too early.
    Always time for reboot. Big big decision for the young man and his family. Can do a lot better than GC Walmart.

Always time for reboot. Big big decision for the young man and his family. Can do a lot better than GC Walmart.
    In a vacuum, perhaps. Not sure we know the entire story. Davidson, absolutely is a better academic institution with (23 Rhodes scholars) and only accepting 18% of it's applicants. Are you certain the competition in the classroom is a fit?