Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liam Lloyd 2020?

Default Liam Lloyd 2020?

I really have no clue how good he is or ANYTHING for that matter. Haven’t seen a thread about him. Does he show any interest of coming here as a walkon? Idk maybe it’d benefit him to go elsewhere? Someone plz help
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I really have no clue how good he is or ANYTHING for that matter. Haven’t seen a thread about him. Does he show any interest of coming here as a walkon? Idk maybe it’d benefit him to go elsewhere? Someone plz help
    From what I’ve heard he does not want to play at GU. Nor is he good enough imo.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    From what I’ve heard he does not want to play at GU. Nor is he good enough imo.
    That’s curious? His only offer so far is Eastern? Perhaps that validates your claim that he’s not good enough to walk on for GU. He was the leading scorer in the semi-final State championship game. Outscoring Watson and I believe put up more points that Jayden McDaniels who’s a Burger Boy destined for a Blue chip school.
    It would seem odd that he wouldnt be interested in playing for GU. He grew up with the program. I remember him and Few’s kids at all the GU games. The players loved those kids and they seemed to be “family”. Hard to imagine he wouldn’t want to be part of that family as a player, even if it’s as a walk on.

Not hard to imagine an 18 year-old might want to stretch his wings a bit and perhaps play ball for a coach that isn't his father. . .if his skills or size would make him a pine rider at Gonzaga, wouldn't he be better served to go somewhere he can play ?
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-07-2019 at 08:45 PM.

I remember this kid named David Stockton. Walked on I believe. Wasn't projected to be much of a player. Next thing you know playing in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I saw Lloyd play last year and this at state. He looked bigger and stronger by quite a bit this year, and his jumper looked a lot better. Fifteen years ago I would have thought he had a shot at becoming the next Kyle Bankhead or Ryan Floyd. Becoming a pretty nice player. But not likely to compete with the top 50ish guys the Zags are getting now.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I saw Lloyd play last year and this at state. He looked bigger and stronger by quite a bit this year, and his jumper looked a lot better. Fifteen years ago I would have thought he had a shot at becoming the next Kyle Bankhead or Ryan Floyd. Becoming a pretty nice player. But not likely to compete with the top 50ish guys the Zags are getting now.
    I agree with you here all the way. Lloyd could be a classic throw back local Zag who walks on and becomes a decent player. Problem for Liam and other is we are landing better and better players, and Suggs would be our highest rated ever and could end up Top 5 in the country by the time it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Top 50ish? Jaylen Suggs is number 10 for 2020. Not number 10 at his position, number 10 in the entire class. Hes a McDonald’s All American.
    Top 50 does include guys ranked above 50.
    Point was that recruiting level has risen to the point where a kid like Lloyd wouldn't have the same chance that the above mentioned guys did. Most of next year's guys are in the 30-50 range, from what I read. I haven't followed the Suggs thread; is he a done deal, or close?

Top 50ish? Jaylen Suggs is number 10 for 2020. Not number 10 at his position, number 10 in the entire class. Hes a McDonald’s All American.
    Lighten up Francis and pump the brakes. Unless my faithful tracking of our Whelping Box Forum has missed something, Suggs has not made a verbal commitment to Zags so no need to correct the Top 50ish generalization of types of recruits Liam Lloyd would have to compete against for a meaningful role.

As for young Mr Lloyd’s college hoops future and prospects, all there is to say is that he is already a Zag and ZagNation will cheer for him wherever he goes.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Liam is too fiery a player to dismiss at such a young age.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Not hard to imagine an 18 year-old might want to stretch his wings a bit and perhaps play ball for a coach that isn't his father. . .if his skills or size would make him a pine rider at Gonzaga, wouldn't he be better served to go somewhere he can play ?

you act like it's a done deal with suggs...far from it.

anyways, top 50ish is still the range most future zag recruits are going to fall into...high 4 star guys like pretty much the entire incoming class minus ravet.

I know there doesn't seem to be much on here about recruiting Liam, but here's a video from an AAU tourney in Chicago last weekend:

https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_...e/show/1012917
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Nice high release and five bucks says he knows the game better than I do.

I bet he will get some D1 offers.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Nice high release and five bucks says he knows the game better than I do.

I bet he will get some D1 offers.
    I agree, he will have some offers to play in college. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

OT from OP, yet Suggs is so far away from being a Zag, or ANY school for that matter.

He hasn't even decided if he's playing football or basketball yet. Think about that for a moment.

He is still considering football INSTEAD of basketball, or even a dual-sport D1 athlete (never works at the highest level).

Now, he will likely choose basketball yet still entertaining recruitment and offers from endless schools, save Duke. Jaylen brings them up in 2018 interviews yet haven't heard much since.

We should be happy he likes us. He does. But will he even choose the sport we offer? Or the one we don't have?

Strawther friendship should help our cause IF Julian becomes a Zag.

Liam Lloyd: 2020 SG looking to create own legacy

“I’m not going to play for my dad,” said Liam. “I want to branch out, do something different and create my own legacy.”

https://247sports.com/college/basket...edo-131916200/

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Liam Lloyd: 2020 SG looking to create own legacy

“I’m not going to play for my dad,” said Liam. “I want to branch out, do something different and create my own legacy.”

Well then, I sincerely hope he does NOT play for Gonzaga then... as that would have to mean Tommy Lloyd is no longer with GU. If I have to chose which Lloyd I want more at GU it would be Tommy.

Best wishes to Liam. He’ll always be a Zag in my mind. He was born into it.
    Last edited by Zag_Dad; 05-10-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Playing under your dad in college is just generally not a good idea. I've just seen too many instances of it not panning out or it causing divisiveness in the relationship. Or divisiveness on the team. (see Steve Alford's kid).

Also, Liam's number one goal should be to go where he can get the maximum amount of PT. And there are plenty of D1 schools where he can do that. Not just Eastern either.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Playing under your dad in college is just generally not a good idea. I've just seen too many instances of it not panning out or it causing divisiveness in the relationship. Or divisiveness on the team. (see Steve Alford's kid).
    Followed at UNM by Craig Neal's kid. But that's UNM...

UNM fans actually gave Cullen Neal death threats. He had to get out of town to save his life. It was that bad. My dad saw every game Cullen played at UNM. Wild shot selection at times, but UNM capable. But once Alford left, Krebs robbed the program blind, and the basketball program faltered under Noodles, Cullen became a target. It was really sad.

I doubt anything would ever occur like that at Gonzaga!

"... [T]here are plenty of D1 schools where he can do that. Not just Eastern either.
    "Lloyd ... currently holds offers from Air Force, Eastern Washington and Toledo."

SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Also, Liam's number one goal should be to go where he can get the maximum amount of PT. And there are plenty of D1 schools where he can do that. Not just Eastern either.
    Drew,McDermott, Boeheim? Some work out just fine. But it is obviously up to the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    "Lloyd ... currently holds offers from Air Force, Eastern Washington and Toledo."

I wonder if "creating his own legacy" means "get out of Dodge" and eliminates EWU's chances?
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post

Air Force? That's a quality education.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V