Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saint Mary's Deserves an At-Large Bid

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    The CBI? You are joking, right? They are right on the Big Dance cut line. Even if they lose on Monday they are still headed to the NIT. Probably host a game as well.
    I think SMC, BYU, USF all are going to be in the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    The talent gap between the Zags and the Gaels is at an all time high this year. I was happy to see you guys compete in this last game.

I think next year for you will be interesting. I don't think you can win at a high rate with Ford being your primary scorer and ball handler. Bennett's offense is best when the high pick and roll is the number one option. Hopefully you will find someone that approaches McConnell and Dellevadova with that skillset. Even Naar was very good at it. Ford is a very good scorer, but the team had a total of five assists in the two games against the Zags. Of course, there was no Steindl to bury threes from ridiculous distance, no Landale to feed in the paint and no underrated Rob Jones to get sneaky baskets. You have two very good pieces in Ford and Fitts, two potentially good players in Menzies and Zoriks that weren't available because of injuries and a couple of pretty good recruits coming in. If Bennett continues to upgrade the schedule, you will have a legit shot at a bid next year. I hope so. The Zags need more than one team in the league to push them next year. USF is in good hands with Kyle Smith coaching and BYU always has the potential, so we'll see.

I would be very happy to see the Gaels make a run in the NIT. That's always weird though. Such a letdown sometimes but if Bennett can get them to focus on improving for next year they might make it to New York.
    Everything we have heard/read is Zorkis was supposed to be the point (if not right away, definitely by conference), but not getting the chance to see him play in our offense, it is really hard to say how adept he would have been running the high P&R. Because Bennett hasn't missed too many times on recruiting/developing a point to run that offense, I would give him the benefit of the doubt that Zorkis would have made a significant contribution this year, while allowing Ford to move to the 2.

I like Tass a lot and think he is going to be a good one - he made some great strides this year from game 1 to game 30. I think Menzies was supposed to be a stop-gap to get us to Tass. We still lack that pure deep threat. Krebs and Ford can both get hot, but they are nowhere near the level of shooter that Steindl or even Hermanson were. I do think this team will be able to get up for the NIT, as there are very few of the "experts" that actually have us in the Dance, so it will depend on what their expectations are going into Selection Sunday.

With the entire team back next year (sans Hunter) I would think we would be in the hunt for a berth. Hopefully Bennett continues scheduling the way that he did this year to give us the chance to build a solid profile. Also hoping the gap between SMC and Gonzaga shrinks a bit next year BYU is going to be BYU and I am guessing USF is going to fall off a little bit next year, but it is great that the conference has really improved this year, especially 4 - 8.

[QUOTE=bdmiller7;1439544]I think SMC, BYU, USF all are going to be in the NIT.[/QUOTE
    Probably the CBI.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Smell test? Fail.
    Have you seen Seton Hall play... No way they remotely deserve to be sniffing the tourney. SMC is a far better team.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Have you seen Seton Hall play... No way they remotely deserve to be sniffing the tourney. SMC is a far better team.
    I have had two different things in my refrigerator smell bad at the same time. Just sayin.

I have had two different things in my refrigerator smell bad at the same time. Just sayin.
    Just saying Gaels are better than the “last four in” Seton Hall Pirates
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Just saying Gaels are better than the “last four in” Seton Hall Pirates
    Seton Hall does have 2 Top 25 wins though...UK and Marq.

Has there ever been a team that lost a game by 48 points receive an at large bid?
    You do know the game was pretty darn close before the tip and I think that should be taken into account when considering them for an at-large-bid...

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    And I will root for all 3 of these teams. I like the NIT and I like the way ESPN presents it. And it's cool they play 4 quarters (are they still doing that?).
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    You do know the game was pretty darn close before the tip and I think that should be taken into account when considering them for an at-large-bid...
    I remember when the got off the bus thinking "we need to start pulling away"
    I am working on being a more all around square.

I disagree that St. Mary's deserves anything special this year. Pimping the other schools in your conference in order to make your own school (presumably GU) look better is a very old and very unsuccessful strategy.

If the Bracketology guy is correct, GU will play one patsy in the NCAAs and then GU will play U of W to get to the Sweet 16. That might not be pretty. U of W has become a decent team.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Watched at least a dozen Gaels games this season... Ford is a good offensive weapon but not so good floor general... Jekyll n Hyde team... very inconsistent... have streaks of cohesiveness but can go sideways just as easily.... I know it won't happen but USF could cause some damage in the tournament.... FF is a good floor general and the Dons are just plain fun to watch.... watching the Gaels is like watching paint dry...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I disagree that St. Mary's deserves anything special this year. Pimping the other schools in your conference in order to make your own school (presumably GU) look better is a very old and very unsuccessful strategy.

If the Bracketology guy is correct, GU will play one patsy in the NCAAs and then GU will play U of W to get to the Sweet 16. That might not be pretty. U of W has become a decent team.

Go Bulldogs!
    decent teams dont lose to California
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Smell test? Fail.
    I would agree -- It will be interesting if this team gets in and last years was snubbed. But I feel their only route is to win the WCC Tournament - otherwise, it's NIT

Go Zags!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I like it. Good call, to me.

Just beat Nova. Smelling roses. Randy is a friend, but he doesn’t beat Nova. Or U.K.