Big Day Tomorrow - Where are we Ranked and where are we Seeded - Monday - 3/4/2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagDad84
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2014

Big Day Tomorrow - Where are we Ranked and where are we Seeded - Monday - 3/4/2019

Big day tomorrow, Monday, 3/4/2019 as the NCAA tournament selection committee releases its last pre-selection Monday seedings. In most cases, a loss in the conference tournament is insufficient to drop you a seeding line, but an early loss in a conference tournament could drop you from say a #4-4-seed to a#1/#2 5-seed.

Assuming the Lady Zags are named a #4 seed tomorrow, if they win the WCC tournament, they will most likely remain a #4 seed. If they are given a #5 seed, they still need to win the WCC tournament, hope for an early loss by one or more of the 4-seeds in their conference tournaments and a whole bunch of prayer if we are to have any chance of moving up to a 4-seed and host the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament.

So my fellow posters, where are we going to be ranked by the AP pundits?

Where is the NCAA selection committee going to seed the lady zags tomorrow?

What say you??

ZagDad
  • Zaglaw
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

AP Poll = 15
    Seed = 4

Comment

• sylean
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2010

I don't study this stuff but we do know that there were teams above us who have lost this past week plus others who barely won......

absolute sham if a 5 or 6 or 7 loss team remains above us in rankings, seedings.....

I want the two games at the kennel.....I cheered hard this year, donated, watched and rewatched games and even played the Zag song on my phone....

I deserve two games at the kennel.....lol

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

I am going with my heart instead of my head.

In the AP Poll, I would say we would move up 3 spots but the East coast pundits will elevate Syracuse over us so a net gain of 2 spots for a spot of #14.

I am guessing Charlie Crème will move us down to a 5 seed and jump us with Texas A&M due to their victory over #11 Kentucky. Gonzaga has checked all the boxes a mid-major needs to check to have the opportunity to host. A great overall record (27-3), a great RPI rating (#13), schedule P-5 teams and beat them (3-1 record with a victory over a top-10 team), a history of great attendance. I am hoping the NCAA committee wants to reward a mid-major for doing exactly what they have asked and will reward Gonzaga with a 4 seed.

Head says 5 seed, heart says 4 seed. All is not lost if we do get a 5 seed. If GU wins the WCC tourney and Marquette does not win the Big East, we could move up. If the other 4-seeds lose earlier in their tournaments, we could move up.

All we can do is win the WCC tourney and see what happens.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagTeach5
          Redshirt
          • Dec 2014

Correct-- ZagDad84

"I am guessing Charlie Crème will move us down to a 5 seed and jump us with Texas A&M due to their victory over #11 Kentucky. "

In Charlie Creme's latest post he gave the Lady Zags a #5 seed and moved them to College Station. Hopefully the NCAA will keep us as a #4 seed.
          They are ranked #14 in the AP poll up 2 spots.

Comment

• sylean
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2010

if we get booted to a 5 seed and lose our two Kennel games, then all know what a total sham it is.....

Comment

• ZagDad84
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2014

FYI, Jim Allen of the Spokesman-Review asked Charlie Crème, on twitter, what was his rational for dropping the Zags to a 5 seed.

Mr Creme's detailed response - "A&M passed the Zags"

No kidding Mr. Obvious. How about providing some kind of justification for having A&M passing Gonzaga.

Jeez,

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2014

For those who are interested, NCAA seeding release is going to occur at halftime of the UConn-USF game on ESPN2 (approx. 5:00 PM).

ZagDad

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

Bummer.

Gotta hope A&M or other teams just above GU lose.
                  The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZagDad84
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2014

While I hate to use the word conspiracy, I think that is exactly what is happening.

Only two (2) teams dropped out of the original Top-16 and they just happen to be the only two (not including UConn) non P-5 teams in the Top-16, Marquette and Gonzaga.

In fact, the ACC has a total of five (yep 5) teams in the Top-16. Had to justify to me how five teams in any one conference deserve to host.

According to Charlie Crème, he thinks that Iowa State and Miami are locks to host. He thinks that Syracuse is the most vulnerable to dropping out of the 4-seed.

So Zag fans, that means we have to root against Syracuse and Texas A&M and hope the Committee removes their head from their nether regions.

On to Vegas.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2014

For those who missed it, here is the current Top-16 seeds for the tournament.

Top-16 Link: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-top-16-reveal

Assuming we are still a 5 seed, it looks like we would have to travel to Syracuse and if we win round one, play the host Syracuse for a chance to come back to Portland.

ZagDad

Comment

• sylean
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2010

I can not describe how totally pissed I am right now......it was not a fun ride home from work with my ranting....

and yet, we're all supposed to rush out and support the womens ncaa next year in Spokane...

all the things the Zags had to do they did.....for that they get a big stinking poke in the eye....

Comment

• ZagDad84
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2014

From the Spokesman-Review:

No. 14 Zags women could be here or there come NCAA Tournament time
                          UPDATED: Mon., March 4, 2019, 9:23 p.m.

By Jim Allen
                          [email protected]
                          (509) 459-5437

Will they stay or will they go?

Gonzaga women’s basketball fans will be asking that question for two more weeks, even if the Zags manage to win another West Coast Conference Tournament title.
                          With two weeks to go, they sit uneasily on an ever-shifting bubble – a fact underscored Monday night with the latest NCAA reveal.

In the second and final reveal before Selection Monday on March 18, the Zags were nowhere to be found in the top 16. They were leapfrogged by Texas A&M – an upset winner over 11th-ranked Kentucky – and Syracuse, which won at No. 22 Florida State. The other team to fall out was Marquette, which means that all 16 teams hail from Power-6 conferences.

The stakes are high: the top 16 teams on Selection Day will host first- and second-round NCAA games; everyone else must travel.

However, there’s plenty of basketball to be played. At 27-3 overall and 13th in the Rating Percentage Index, or RPI, the Zags still have a solid chance of landing a 4 seed or better and playing again in Spokane. For that to happen, GU will need to win twice in next week’s WCC tournament and hope the right teams lose in their respective conference tournaments.

Those teams include No. 3 seeds North Carolina State, Maryland, Oregon State and South Carolina; and No. 4 seeds Miami, Iowa State, Syracuse and Texas A&M.
                          The rise of the Aggies was predicted earlier by ESPN bracketologist Charlie Creme, who dropped GU to the 5 line despite the Zags sweeping home games against Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount.

Why?

The short answer, and the only one Creme gave The Spokesman-Review via Twitter, was “A&M passed Gonzaga.”

The news wasn’t all bad for GU fans. The Zags moved up two spots, to 14th, in the Associated Press poll.

At RealTimeRPI.com, the Zags are the No. 4 seed in the Portland Regional, hosting No. 13 Florida Gulf Coast in a foursome that also includes No. 5 Kentucky and No. 12 Miami of Ohio.

That raises another question: Would the NCAA really ship three teams to Spokane from the Eastern time zone?

At College Sports Madness, bracketologists sent the Zags to Milwaukee as a No. 5 seed to face Ivy League champ Penn. The group also includes host and No. 4 seed Marquette facing No. 13 Green Bay.
                          Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...e-ncaa-tourna/

A couple of corrections to Mr. Allen's article. First, all Top-16 seeds (outside of UConn) are from the Power (5) (not P-6 as Marquette was dropped) conferences, including five (5) from the ACC.

It is totally unrealistic to think that a team currently on the 3-seed line would drop to a 5-seed by a single loss in their conference tournament. The best the lady zags can hope for is for one of the current 4-seed teams to lose early in their conference tournament and GU wins the WCC Tournament. According to Charlie Crème, Miami and Iowa State are essentially guaranteed at least a 4-seed no matter how they fair in their tournaments. That leaves Texas A&M and Syracuse. Crème said that Syracuse is the most vulnerable to dropping.

ZagDad

Comment

• kyle dixon
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

If the Zags don’t win in Vegas, this is a moot point. Just win baby....

Comment

• TerpZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Gonzaga ranked #12 (Zags moves up 2 places from last week):

USA Today/Coaches Poll - Week 18

ESPN Women's College Basketball Rankings - Week 18 Link

Comment

Working...
                              X