Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga Prep at WIAA

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I think the goal is to start the best unit, not the best 5 players.
    i wouldn't be shocked if timme and watson start together in the front court with kispert, norvell (fingers crossed), and a pg tbd...

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Prep rolls. Watson was dominant. Hit is his first 9 from the field. I think he finished with 22 and 15 boards plus 5 assists and 4 blocks while not playing the 4th quarter. The kid is special. They get Federal Way at 530 Friday. New RPI system did not work, Union the number 1 seed loses to Curtis (who Prep smacked around last week).
    It seems like they screw up the seedings every year, whatever methodology they use. I think #1 seed Union got eliminated today by #11 seed Puyallup 61-48. Bracket doesn't show Puyallup advancing yet but I think that's a final. 0-2 and didn't place. Sure, #1 seed. And they only got to play in the consolation bracket today because they had a bye in the first round.

Why would you assume that the best 5 players are not the best unit, barring something odd like the best 5 players all being 2 guards?

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Nope, and it won’t matter one little bit. See exhibit: Zach Collins
    Karnowski started because he was better than collins that year. Plenty of freshmen have started if they were the better option. I see Watson playing more 4 to start his career and the transitioning more into a 3 as he becomes a better ballhandler and shooter. I do think he will be the SF everyone wanted Rui to become.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Why would you assume that the best 5 players are not the best unit, barring something odd like the best 5 players all being 2 guards?
    At the beginning of the 15/16 season Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Karnoswki were the 3 best players, they were definitely not the best unit when on the court together.

Exactly. Next year's team is likely to be really green. Kispert isn't at talented as Watson, obviously, but he always makes the right offensive reads and moves the ball to the right place, which doesn't show up in the individual stats. A veteran presence familiar w/ the system will be needed, and if Norvell doesn't return that has to be Kispert. Watson could start at the 4 too.

On my way to Tacoma now. Will post about it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    At the beginning of the 15/16 season Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Karnoswki were the 3 best players, they were definitely not the best unit when on the court together.
    Agreed, hence my qualifier at the end of my post that you quoted. But mystery pg, Zach, Watson, Timme and Petrusev don't play the same positions or share similar skill sets. I think we all agree that Watson is the superior player to CK, yet we also all agree that Few will start the latter over the former.

Of course transitive properties don't really work in sports. G Prop and Federal Way both won easily yesterday. In a loser out game between the 2 teams they beat, Richland hammered Kentridge 83-59 today. Federal way beat Richland by a similar score yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Agreed, hence my qualifier at the end of my post that you quoted. But mystery pg, Zach, Watson, Timme and Petrusev don't play the same positions or share similar skill sets. I think we all agree that Watson is the superior player to CK, yet we also all agree that Few will start the latter over the former.
    I don't agree that freshman Watson is superior to junior Kispert until I see it on the court next year. Plus I think right now Watson is more of a 4 than a 3. What the 3 and 4 are doing in Few's offense are very different and I see Watson's current skills looking more like a 4. I think he will be the starting 3 eventually, but not next year unless Norvell leaves and Kispert is at the 2.

Link to webcast, for a nominal fee:

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/schools/...ool-spokane-wa
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Looks like Prep will advance. Watson held to just 10 points but Liam Lloyd had 22. McDaniels finished with 17 for Federal Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Looks like Prep will advance. Watson held to just 10 points but Liam Lloyd had 22. McDaniels finished with 17 for Federal Way.
    I’ve heard officiating was terrible all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I’ve heard officiating was terrible all the way around.
    I thought so. Federal Way seemed to get away with a lot more than Prep, especially in the first half.
    The reffing was pretty inconsistent. Matthews was smart to take Watson and Lloyd out for so many minutes in the second half. I think he read the refs pretty well. Federal Way’s fouls (the same ones they weren’t called for in the first half) were more visible when Prep’s stars were out and the team managed to keep it close enough anyway. There are always some weird high school refs in the tournaments.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Don't see it mentioned, G Prep gets Mt. Si in the Championship Game. I don't think Mt. Si is a traditional powerhouse.

A bit OT, but in 3A Mt. Spokane knocked off Rainer Beach, seems like Beach is almost always in the Title Game. Not this year. Mt. Spokane will face O'Dea, who used to be a power but I don't think they've been anywhere near a Championship in years. Interesting. Lewis & Clark is in the 4A Girls Championship, Mt. Spokane also in in Girls 3A Championship and East Valley in Girls 2A. Spokane area schools performing well again as usual.

Would love to see Watson at the 3, he has the handles and the game for it, Timme at the 4 and Petrusev at the 5... Snacks at point and CK at the two... that's a big bad line-up... don't think it will happen but it would be fun to watch...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

The sophomore PF for O’Dea is ranked #5 in the 2021 class and was the best player I saw yesterday. The officiating and other top talent on the floor may have taken some of the shine off Watson as he was limited. But if you can watch the 3A championship tonight, keep an eye on O’Dea’s #5.

You are correct about Mtsi. They have not been to state since about 2000. They got a new coach 3 years ago from Issaquah. He had been to state with them 3 times lately. My son went to mtsi and me to GP. So I was at state and watched them both the last two days. My son and two grandsons (3 and 5) went to the games last night. It was fun and both teams played solid team ball. Should be a good game. Tonight I have a problem. Go to the game or watch GU and them on TV. Or go to the game

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Don't see it mentioned, G Prep gets Mt. Si in the Championship Game. I don't think Mt. Si is a traditional powerhouse.

A bit OT, but in 3A Mt. Spokane knocked off Rainer Beach, seems like Beach is almost always in the Title Game. Not this year. Mt. Spokane will face O'Dea, who used to be a power but I don't think they've been anywhere near a Championship in years. Interesting. Lewis & Clark is in the 4A Girls Championship, Mt. Spokane also in in Girls 3A Championship and East Valley in Girls 2A. Spokane area schools performing well again as usual.
    Not OT for this Mt. Spokane Alum! Go Wildcats!

G Prep is gonn win the final easily. The real final already happenedlast night.

I do not think it is going to be that easy. MT SI plays solid defense, had very good passers and they also have shooters that make many 3s. They are a very well coached team in fundamentals at both ends of the court. If they walk in over confident, they may have a tougher game than planned.

The MT SI team was not even suppose to be here this year. Their team is mostly juniors and younger. Point guard is a freshman and their two main guards are juniors (6'6" and 6'7"). I plan on being there with my son and I will be for GP and he will be for MT SI (he went there).

Federal Way thumped whoever they played today to take 3rd place. We'll see about the game tonight but I'm certainly expecting G Prep to win.

ROOT Sports airing the Mt. Si - Gonzaga Prep 4A Title game right now. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    ROOT Sports airing the Mt. Si - Gonzaga Prep 4A Title game right now. . .
    Ha and Dish dropped that channel for us out of staters. Ugh

Yeah, can't watch either. Frustrating.

Any updates?