Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Logjam at Center/Forward for next Year.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    So they literally just reprinted a 2 week old article?
    Great article that a lot of Zag fans (who aren't crazy like us on this board...) probably missed. Plus, he's playing in the state tournament in Spokane this week so there's an additional connection there. Makes sense to have the author update the article and run it locally.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Great article that a lot of Zag fans (who aren't crazy like us on this board...) probably missed. Plus, he's playing in the state tournament in Spokane this week so there's an additional connection there. Makes sense to have the author update the article and run it locally.
    It was a very good article, I agree. I just did not realize that this was a thing now; literally re-printing an already existing article and just rerunning it.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Nearly everyone on this board seems to think we need a grad transfer at point guard. Perhaps that would add depth, but the odds are very good that player would be the back up to Brock Ravet, not the other way around. Ravet is a special talent, and the Gonzaga coaches know it. Not only is he the all time highest scorer in Washington State history (just passed 3,000 points, and with, likely, three more games at this week's State 2B Tournament at the Spokane Arena, his record will likely stand a very long time), but his passing skills are off the chart. Spokane peeps should check him out this week. Kittitas plays its first game at 10:30 AM on Thursday at the Arena. They will most likely meet Brewster at 3:45 PM on Friday. Attached is a link to an article describing his 36 point, 12 rebound, 4 steal effort in the regionals last night, including a photo of this muscular, confident young man. https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/...06994f87b.html
    That is Ravet’s goal!

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    With the above in mind, does anyone on the board plan on seeing him in person? If so, reports would be greatly appreciated. I remember seeing Dranginis play in a random AAU tournament (or whatever it was) and you could just tell he had tools to be successful, despite the level of competition.

“I hope he does, but on an unrelated note, is this a thing now; newspapers literally reprinting a previous article from another paper, adding a line or two and then pretending it's their own article with a small disclaimer at the bottom that they basically plagiarized the article? This article came out two weeks ago in a much smaller paper. I know print media is nearly dead but this is ridiculous. Ok, rant over.“

So the traditional business model is broken for print media in the digital age but yet local newspapers can still be a value add. I am for any and all measures including these content sharing arrangements that enable them to survive. I don’t want a world in which all our information is generated by tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    With the above in mind, does anyone on the board plan on seeing him in person? If so, reports would be greatly appreciated. I remember seeing Dranginis play in a random AAU tournament (or whatever it was) and you could just tell he had tools to be successful, despite the level of competition.
    I will be there, but I have seen him in the past 2 State B Tournaments, so I am already "sold on him."

Isn't this thread about the logjam at the 4-5 positions?
    It's not funny.

Oy-vey Ra-vey

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I saw Kittitas' game v Kentlake on MLK day last month and reported my impressions then. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Bottom line is that he's very similar to Dickau at the same stage imo, both in terms of offensive skill/savvy and perceived defensive liability. As to that caveat, Dickau said in an interview that (despite being #14 on the Long Beach Press-Telegram's best in the west list, and ranked 25 nationally at the pg position by SI) a number of experts advised him to go to a mid major school because he wasn't big or athletic enough for the big time. He said he went to UW because he wanted to play at the highest level possible in spite of those recommendations.

You never know how a guy transitions to a higher level until he does it, but the kid is a special offensive talent. Dickau has said things that suggest he sees a lot of himself in Ravet.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Isn't this thread about the logjam at the 4-5 positions?
    Bump
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I saw Kittitas' game v Kentlake on MLK day last month and reported my impressions then. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Bottom line is that he's very similar to Dickau at the same stage imo, both in terms of offensive skill/savvy and perceived defensive liability. As to that caveat, Dickau said in an interview that (despite being #14 on the Long Beach Press-Telegram's best in the west list, and ranked 25 nationally at the pg position by SI) a number of experts advised him to go to a mid major school because he wasn't big or athletic enough for the big time. He said he went to UW because he wanted to play at the highest level possible in spite of those recommendations.

You never know how a guy transitions to a higher level until he does it, but the kid is a special offensive talent. Dickau has said things that suggest he sees a lot of himself in Ravet.
    Thanks. I remember your review then and it was quite thorough. Your basketball acumen is greater than my own so it was much appreciated. What you are saying now matches what I remember. If he can approach Dickau's success we should all be happy campers.

To bring this back around a bit for Willandi I think that we will have a ton of length next year, not least of which is Ballo and his 7'6" wingspan (or whatever it is), and hopefully this will cover up for some of his projected defensive liabilities.

Ballo. "Ballo reportedly visited with Gonzaga in January and didn't have a visit with Arizona or Baylor scheduled."

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...ball-recruitin

Ballo says ""I love the way they use their big, the atmosphere between the teammates always supporting each other and motivated," Ballo said. "This is the place where I want to play until I reach my goal, [which is] making it to the league."
    in
    https://247sports.com/college/basket...aga-129446020/

For me, it warms my heart to see us winning our share of top recruits lately. As a BYU board member commented about our rise in recruitment level, 'the rich get richer.'
    I will take it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Ballo. "Ballo reportedly visited with Gonzaga in January and didn't have a visit with Arizona or Baylor scheduled."

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...ball-recruitin

Ballo says ""I love the way they use their big, the atmosphere between the teammates always supporting each other and motivated," Ballo said. "This is the place where I want to play until I reach my goal, [which is] making it to the league."
    in
    https://247sports.com/college/basket...aga-129446020/

For me, it warms my heart to see us winning our share of top recruits lately. As a BYU board member commented about our rise in recruitment level, 'the rich get richer.'
    I will take it !!!
    There is a positive feedback loop dynamic to it, breaking through to the Final Four and sending many bigs to the league over the last 4-6 years has had a value-added impact.

I think it might've been GZ who noted a long time ago, that long about 2013-15, Few made a decision that he was going to get far more personally invested in recruiting (that is not to say he wasn't doing anything previously, obviously), do more of the legwork himself, put a little heat from the H.C. on the better recruits, and I believe it was right about then that we saw the jump.

It would explain a lot, bc something obviously happened. There is a clear delineation in the level of recruits we had been getting versus those that came after that point. Perk - ironically - would be one of the first couple classes. Damn we're going to miss him. For all our love of our great bigs, perhaps (I) don't appreciate enough how smoothly the machine is running bc one guy is a coach on the floor.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Gonzaga just cracked ESPN's top ten in their 2019 recruiting nation class rankings. No. 10 seems to be a low ranking in my estimation.

http://insider.espn.com/college-spor.../classrankings

In 2017 Gonzaga's recruiting class did not crack ESPN's top 40 even though that class included Collins, Tillie, and Rui. ESPN's ranking system seems to have trouble gauging and reflecting talent that plays in Europe or elsewhere.

http://insider.espn.com/college-spor...ngs?class=2017

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Gonzaga just cracked ESPN's top ten in their 2019 recruiting nation class rankings. No. 10 seems to be a low ranking in my estimation.

In 2017 Gonzaga's recruiting class did not crack ESPN's top 40 even though that class included Collins, Tillie, and Rui. ESPN's ranking system seems to have trouble gauging and reflecting talent that plays in Europe or elsewhere.

If they ever do a look-back they might want to re-evaluate that one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post

They're at 10 and thats only 5 recruits, ESPN doesn't show Ballo, so that should go up.

Espn in my opinion has the worst high school rankings of all the recruiting services.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    They're at 10 and thats only 5 recruits, ESPN doesn't show Ballo, so that should go up.
    And Ballo's a projected 5, plus they show Timme and Watty as 4's. Such nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Espn in my opinion has the worst high school rankings of all the recruiting services.
    This. Outside of the top 10-15 prospects, ESPN just doesn't put a big emphasis on recruiting anymore.

Rivals and 247 are much better recruiting sites. I personally like 247 because they include international prospects whom have not played in the US into their "Top 100", whereas Rivals gives them stars, but doesn't include them into their "Top 150". When checking 247, important to remember they have two ratings for prospects--one for just the 247 site, the other for a "Composite" ranking, which takes both ESPN and Rivals' rankings into account, along with 247's.

At this point, probably better to just take an average between Rivals and 247 and exclude ESPN's rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Nearly everyone on this board seems to think we need a grad transfer at point guard. Perhaps that would add depth, but the odds are very good that player would be the back up to Brock Ravet, not the other way around. Ravet is a special talent, and the Gonzaga coaches know it. Not only is he the all time highest scorer in Washington State history (just passed 3,000 points, and with, likely, three more games at this week's State 2B Tournament at the Spokane Arena, his record will likely stand a very long time), but his passing skills are off the chart. Spokane peeps should check him out this week. Kittitas plays its first game at 10:30 AM on Thursday at the Arena. They will most likely meet Brewster at 3:45 PM on Friday. Attached is a link to an article describing his 36 point, 12 rebound, 4 steal effort in the regionals last night, including a photo of this muscular, confident young man. https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/...06994f87b.html
    This past offseason they had one of the best PG's in the country and the program's history slated to start his senior year and still went out and got Crandall. A skilled veteran at the PG position is an immeasurable luxury, especially when your other option is a true freshman, at least IMO.

Ravet is reportedly the same height as Perkins,
    Um no. Unless he’s grown 3in in the past year. Ravet is 6’0” maybe 6’1”. Perk is 6’3”.

Sorry if I am commenting about the thread subject instead of the other stuff on here. There are many different ways you can construct a lineup with this class so I wouldn't get too tied up in trying to assign a specific spot to guys. My feeling is that as highly regarded as Ballo is, he will be likely in a similar role as Rui was originally. By this I mean he doesn't RS but he also doesn't fit in the regular rotation. I think he is a 3yr guy with a similar plan to Rui in development of his game. Here is how I would set the players by positions for the frontcourt, this assumes that Tillie leaves.

4/5: Petrusev, Timme, Zhakarov, Ballo
    3/4: Watson
    3: Kispert, Arlauskas

As far as I can tell, Ballo and Zhakarov are true 5's and will be playing at that position.

Petrusev is a player that can play at the 4 or the 5. I called him a stretch 4.

Timme at the college level is definitely a power forward and will be playing that position.

Watson is a versatile 3/4 type player, who I think eventually is going to be primarily playing at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Um no. Unless he’s grown 3in in the past year. Ravet is 6’0” maybe 6’1”. Perk is 6’3”.
    Dickau joked that he shrunk several inches when he got to college. I saw Ravet listed at 6’3” but we all know how that goes...

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    As far as I can tell, Ballo and Zhakarov are true 5's and will be playing at that position.

Petrusev is a player that can play at the 4 or the 5. I called him a stretch 4.

Timme at the college level is definitely a power forward and will be playing that position.

Watson is a versatile 3/4 type player, who I think eventually is going to be primarily playing at the 3.
    Thats my take, too. 4 guys for two spots is good. If Watson is so good that they need him at the 4 to get him into the lineup I’ll take that, too.