Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 120

Thread: Logjam at Center/Forward for next Year.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    197

    Default Logjam at Center/Forward for next Year.

    Looks like we have Corey Kispert, Filip Petrusev, Anton Watson, Martynas Arlauskas, Drew Timme, Pavel Zahkarov and now Oumar Ballo. In a way I have been dreading this as it may be one new foward/centers will decomit. It may work out if one or more red shirt. What do you think???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,483

    Default

    First world problems.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Not a problem at all. Petrusev, Pavel, Timme and baby Shaw will share time at positions 4 and 5 (recall that we has 4 quality bigs sharing time during the N.C. year a couple years ago). I see Kispert and Watson at the 3 (Watson with spot minutes at 4). Arlauskas at the 2 and 3 (is the two spot wishful thinking?).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,219

    Default

    Makes for great practices

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    What about Tillie? Ballo will dominate

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    920

    Default

    One or more of the freshman will be redshirts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    What about Tillie? Ballo will dominate
    Watson seems like the quintessential 3. Norvell at the 2. Mystery platinum transfer at pg. Petrol and Timme up front.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    57,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    One or more of the freshman will be redshirts.
    Seems likely - but who? All the bigs are top 50 type players.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Seems likely - but who? All the bigs are top 50 type players.
    My guess is the new guy Ballo. I think he'll only be like 17 years old next year. The sell is that it worked for Hachimura and other international forwards.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    57,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    My guess is the new guy Ballo. I think he'll only be like 17 years old next year. The sell is that it worked for Hachimura and other international forwards.
    The problem is that it seems very unlikely that he’ll be a five year guy. Why spend a year redshirting when you won’t necessarily stick around to play 4. Rui didn’t redshirt - he just played very sparingly his freshman year. And all reports are that Ballo is much further along in basketball development and in English - the two things that really held Rui back. The only recent redshirt that I can think of that weren’t either transfers (Wiltjer, NWG, JWill, Clarke) or injury related (Shem, Perk, Larsen, Norvell) is Ayayi. And clearly, I don’t expect him to turn pro early.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,665

    Default

    ALL new to D1 basketball. It'll take a while but one or two will get lots of minutes next season..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    The problem is that it seems very unlikely that he’ll be a five year guy. Why spend a year redshirting when you won’t necessarily stick around to play 4. Rui didn’t redshirt - he just played very sparingly his freshman year. And all reports are that Ballo is much further along in basketball development and in English - the two things that really held Rui back. The only recent redshirt that I can think of that weren’t either transfers (Wiltjer, NWG, JWill, Clarke) or injury related (Shem, Perk, Larsen, Norvell) is Ayayi. And clearly, I don’t expect him to turn pro early.

    I'll speculate, kd.

    Ballo spends a year in the Olynyk Clinic & then comes out gang busters as a RS Frosh.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Do the zags ever do preseason international trips? I think teams are allowed one every four years or something like that. Might be a good way to get all of these young guys up to speed. I think the coaches value their summers but I wonder if anything like that is in the radar.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Sound like a Kentucky/Duke type problem to me.

    The cream will rise to the top. Such is the nature of elite level recruiting. The players best suited to accommodate GU's immediate success are going to play. Period. The staff owes that much to the individual players, to put the best possible lineup on the floor. To give them the best possible chance to win.

    No one knows the ultimate rotation, including the coaching staff, until they all get on the practice court together and the staff gets a first hand look on how they fit and contribute.

    This is an issue?
    I miss Mike Hart

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I'll speculate, kd.

    Ballo spends a year in the Olynyk Clinic & then comes out gang busters as a RS Frosh.
    +1. Have a feeling he RS's too, and even then, will be only 18. Ready to dominate.

    We gotta save some of these fwds/centers for Dom Harris & Co.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    57,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Do the zags ever do preseason international trips? I think teams are allowed one every four years or something like that. Might be a good way to get all of these young guys up to speed. I think the coaches value their summers but I wonder if anything like that is in the radar.
    I don’t recall a trip happening. Certainly it’s not a financial issue. I wonder if it’s due to so many of our international players being with their youth national teams (or full team Rui!) during that same part of the calendar when a trip would occur.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Timme is true PF.

    He has as good if not better handles than Clarke does now. Has really worked on his dribble drive, ball handling this year.

    Pavel & Petrusev at the 5. Petrusev also a good enough shooter to play minutes at the 4.

    Ballo a RS candidate, or play along either one. Someone is going to have share minutes at Center.

    Martynas is a question mark. Anton will play the 3 and 4. Immediate starter.

    Tillie isn't coming back. Not sure if most recent injury has changed anything, yet staff fully expected Killian to go pro and he made that well known to them prior to this season.

    Guys, Tillie was going pro LAST YEAR prior to his hip injury which took him out of NBA draft workouts. He is fully commited to going this year too. Again, not certain how this foot injury effects him long term since it could still be an issue come Draft workout time.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    +1. Have a feeling he RS's too, and even then, will be only 18. Ready to dominate.

    We gotta save some of these fwds/centers for Dom Harris & Co.
    Why red shirt if they go pro in year #3. Don't they do better sitting on the bench Like Rui. Red shirt makes sense for injuries and 5 year players. But then they become grad transfers.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    Why red shirt if they go pro in year #3. Don't they do better sitting on the bench Like Rui. Red shirt makes sense for injuries and 5 year players. But then they become grad transfers.
    Always up to the player.

    As Tommy Lloyd said, they suggested Rui RS as well given the logjam in frontcourt, yet was well known Rui wanted to play even just cleanup/spot mins.

    Given the fact we could lose up to 5 scholarship players next season, we may need all hands on deck.

    Have a feeling IF we make it to Mpls, Norvell, Tillie, Clarke, Rui. & Perkins are all gone.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    Looks like we have Corey Kispert, Filip Petrusev, Anton Watson, Martynas Arlauskas, Drew Timme, Pavel Zahkarov and now Oumar Ballo. In a way I have been dreading this as it may be one new foward/centers will decomit. It may work out if one or more red shirt. What do you think???
    Corey's a solid 3, and Watson is versatile. I know Ballo's reclassifying but aren't a couple of those guys 2020 recruits?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Sound like a Kentucky/Duke type problem to me.

    The cream will rise to the top. Such is the nature of elite level recruiting. The players best suited to accommodate GU's immediate success are going to play. Period. The staff owes that much to the individual players, to put the best possible lineup on the floor. To give them the best possible chance to win.

    No one knows the ultimate rotation, including the coaching staff, until they all get on the practice court together and the staff gets a first hand look on how they fit and contribute.

    This is an issue?
    Think back to the years of angst when our post players nearly fouled out and we dreamed about having this kind of Blue Blood luxury.
    Parlez-vous français?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    I don't think Ballo is re-classifying 2019 and committing to the zags to come and redshirt. Big Ballo Brand starts next year! Who's makin shirts?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    Looks like we have Corey Kispert, Filip Petrusev, Anton Watson, Martynas Arlauskas, Drew Timme, Pavel Zahkarov and now Oumar Ballo. In a way I have been dreading this as it may be one new foward/centers will decomit. It may work out if one or more red shirt. What do you think???
    I think it’s a poorly worded thread title.

    Lots of possibilities including that one of these frosh May RS. It’s a good situation for Zags.
    Grad Transfer? / Ravet / Foster
    Norvell / Kispert / Ayayi /
    Watson / (Kispert) / Arlauskas
    Timme / (Petrusev) / Watson
    Petrusev / Zhakarov / Ballo
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Has anyone heard anything about Larsen?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    57,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about Larsen?
    It has been reported on this board that Jacob is retiring from basketball and will no longer be on a basketball scholarship next year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •