Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 2019 - Ballo - Committed

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Thank you 2012, bbz & hooter.
    This kid EATS up space down low. He has soft hands and decent footwork. Is he a 5 star? I wouldn't put him there. He has a ton of potential, but like Rui, most of what we've seen is against less-than competition. I don't see him playing a lot next year. It's the 2020 summer development that will tell the tale. He could be an all-American in 2020.

He needs to get here, work on footwork and rebounding, improve free-throws cause he's going to be shooting a lot, and maybe get his hands up more......DI guards are going to find you sometimes at weird angles and the entry passes aren't always as clean.

If Ballo grows to 7'? Yeah, baby Shaq. And really, who would you want on this team? I say a masher 20pt 10rb guy down low that the rest of the league has to game-plan for would be a perfect compliment to the players we already have. He's high energy, fun, and seems to play that way all the time. Can't wait.

Who stood out at the Next Generation Showcase?

Oumar Ballo, C, 2019
    After just a decent performance at Basketball Without Borders in February while still recovering from an ankle injury, Ballo looked much improved on Sunday. The Mali native is a big body post who is a total mismatch at the high school level due to his size, length, toughness and motor. Ballo’s skill level look improved; he has more confidence in his hook shot and his footwork is getting better. Given Ballo’s size and physicality, he projects as a high level rebounder at the next level. Ballo’s hands and feet have room to improve but there is no denying he will be a very tough matchup in the WCC.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...aga-131039625/

Ballo is not Zion at comparable ages clearly, but I will stand on my hope that in time he will something similar. Looking at lots of film of him my eye test shows he's potentially in that realm if he learns more moves. Gonzaga is exactly what he needs to reach his goals.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Ballo is not Zion at comparable ages clearly, but I will stand on my hope that in time he will something similar. Looking at lots of film of him my eye test shows he's potentially in that realm if he learns more moves. Gonzaga is exactly what he needs to reach his goals.
    the only thing similar about ballo and zion is that they are physical specimens...ballo doesn't have nearly zion's athleticism (or skillset for that matter) but doesn't need to because of his pure size, which zion lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    the only thing similar about ballo and zion is that they are physical specimens...ballo doesn't have nearly zion's athleticism (or skillset for that matter) but doesn't need to because of his pure size, which zion lacks.
    Plus Ballo is younger, is an international player and we don’t have much idea about his ceiling yet. My guess is that his ceiling is very high because he has tremendous heart, is already trying to be a great teammate, shows a lot of pride in being a Zag, works very hard and has improved a lot this year.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Unhappy ESPN can't spell...

...Ballo's name correctly. (The weeners.) Soon enough they'll get it right, gotta feeling.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...nzaga-bulldogs

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

The NBA drafts on potential, even before it is fully realized.

Ballo's potential is off the charts. A Zach Collins scenario where he is coveted by the NBA before he even gets a chance to start at GU.

Like Collins, I believe we will only see a fleeting glimpse of him before he is gone.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The NBA drafts on potential, even before it is fully realized.

Ballo's potential is off the charts. A Zach Collins scenario where he is coveted by the NBA before he even gets a chance to start at GU.

Like Collins, I believe we will only see a fleeting glimpse of him before he is gone.
    I don't see Ballo playing nearly the minutes that Collins played as a freshman. For all the potential, Ballo is young and pretty raw from a basketball standpoint. He will most likely be a stud at GU but I wouldn't expect that until his 2nd year. I do think he gets run as a freshman, but similar to Rui minutes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I don't see Ballo playing nearly the minutes that Collins played as a freshman. For all the potential, Ballo is young and pretty raw from a basketball standpoint. He will most likely be a stud at GU but I wouldn't expect that until his 2nd year. I do think he gets run as a freshman, but similar to Rui minutes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I believe Ballo is only 16 right now. He doesn't turn 17 until July if I remember right. I think just his age says he will be at GU for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I believe Ballo is only 16 right now. He doesn't turn 17 until July if I remember right. I think just his age says he will be at GU for a couple years.
    From what I have seen he is good to go. As with all new players you have to learn the college game. I hope to see a rotation of two bigs in and two out like was done with Tillie Collins and Pk Williams.

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
    50s50 seconds ago
    More
    Oumar Ballo signs letter of intent with Gonzaga. The 6-10, 260-pound Ballo verbally committed in late February.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
    50s50 seconds ago
    More
    Oumar Ballo signs letter of intent with Gonzaga. The 6-10, 260-pound Ballo verbally committed in late February.
    Heck yeah
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

He didn’t declare? That’s an upset.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You kill me. Hahaha.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    On Monday night, Ballo posted an Instagram story about an important announcement coming soon.

I was terrified.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Here is a cool twitter story/video about Ballo:

https://twitter.com/NBA_Africa/statu...42530485620736
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post

Likability level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post

At 1:08 in the video, looked like Pavel made a cameo alongside Ballo.

I think hes standing next to Vescovi at one point too.

Quote Originally Posted by GUZag08 View Post
    Likability level: 100
    Exactly what I thought too. Seems like a genuine, down to earth kid... guess there are some advantages to not being raised in the AAU system.

Thanks for posting Rad
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    At 1:08 in the video, looked like Pavel made a cameo alongside Ballo.
    It looked as though Pavel was the "taller/bigger" guy...maybe it was just the camera angle...

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Exactly what I thought too. Seems like a genuine, down to earth kid... guess there are some advantages to not being raised in the AAU system.

Thanks for posting Rad
    lol I like that... a lot!