Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 - Ballo - Committed

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Ballo is not Zion. Zion had a Lebron like mythos since he was in 7th grade and the game to back it up. Ballo at 15 looked lumbering, but man what a year difference has done for him. Ballo has ridiculous potential and the right staff to unlock it. I wonder if there is something like the Rui 3 year plan?
    He will be on a similar track as Rui.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    If you compare his tape to Pavel or Drew's, two other big men in this class, you will see various post move after various post move from both. You do not see that with Oumar's tape. Neither of those guys are consensus 5* guys, Oumar should not be mentioned right now as a 5* in that case.
    I disagree. Ballo, IMO, is much farther along than you’re giving him credit for. Here’s some notes I took as I watched a couple of videos of him that weren’t dunk centric and showed a lot of different aspects of his game.

He’s a little bit raw, but he has been well coached and he also clearly has a lot of natural talent and is, in my opinion, extremely competitive. It is this last noted trait, that competitiveness, that is going to be the basis for a rapid improvement over an already very, very good player.

From 2017 (Ballo age 15, barely)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSpkFvqTzWQ

Good pass out of double team.

Right handed hook shot.

Step through driving lay up.

Left handed hook shot. (missed)

Established and held deep post position and forced a foul on defense as he went for a left handed layup.

Very active(good) rebounder.

Pass Fake move to left handed finger roll attempt, drawing a foul.

Rebound, immediate outlet pass ĺ court for a fast break.

Seems to run the court pretty well.

Great footwork going from his right to a left handed hook attempt

Spin move from the block for a made fallaway short jumper

From 2018 (Ballo age 16, barely)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWbT3sPAF7g

Good Footwork

Establishes excellent position, utilizing his size when posting up. Often guaranteeing himself a layup just due to the work he’s doing prior to getting the ball. Seeing this over and over and over again. A real weapon.

Really good hands, catches everything thrown his way.

Hook shots over either shoulder with either hand

Splits double team and attempts a short hook from the opposite of the block

He is so physical. Seeks out contact, doesn’t ever shy away.

Dominant shot blocker.

Moves his feet very well on defense.

Very active on defense.

Looked very comfortable shooting the 8 to 10 foot jumper.

Offensive rebound, keeps the ball up and finishes the And 1 play

Free throw shooting form improving from 2017

I must say, when I really think about it, Ballo reminds me of what Karnowski would have been if he had been really athletic.

By the way, a search of this thread indicates the first poster to bring up Zion was Zagsfanforlife. I'm not sure why anyone would compare him to Zion, they don't play the same position and play very different types of games.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I will defer to you caldwellzag, as I should. That said, I have a sneaking feeling that Ballo might be a more impactful freshman that Rui was.

Here is a link to the FIBA tournament from this summer. You can look at stats and some of the games are condensed. He needs a year with Travis Knight to get a little more athletic.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/team/Mali
    2Zags4Pups

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    sounds reasonable.

put him in against West Virginia in Sweet 16 game for defensive purposes )

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    By the way, a search of this thread indicates the first poster to bring up Zion was Zagsfanforlife. I'm not sure why anyone would compare him to Zion, they don't play the same position and play very different types of games.
    You should search a bit harder in the ballo conversations then

A bit defensive? I didnít call you out. Just stated that ITK reported something different (which they did ).

And many have compared him to zion. I have a full time job so right now donít have time to post every single snippet.

Maybe I am missing the post moves making him a 5*. My basketball coaching and past skill development work eyes see a project. Mo Bamba had far more post moves before entering college. I expect him to develop into a pro based on his development by a great staff but Iím not expecting him to be a major contributor right away which true 5* are.

My point is that many are already making these lofty comparisons and building up these huge expectations for this guy. Those should be based on the assumption that he will develop by facing other top bigs in his class and working hard at the plan set forth by the coaches. I do not see him contributing right away and I hope others understand that he is a project. Let's not write the kid off after his freshman year if he does not get major playing time or pad the stats right away. It will take time. He has a lot of post moves to further develop and is still learning the game.
    Ballo is no Zion. They are two totally different players. Ballo instead reminds me of a cross between Shaq at 16 and Stanley Roberts at 16 when Dale first brought them to campus. He has Shaq's skinny yet muscular physique and Stanley's refined game. Starting college at 16 is going to be a bit of a challenge which is why I have maintained that he will redshirt next year but if he doesn't he is still one of the best players in the country in this class. Next year he would have been a top 5-10 recruit. As for your analysis on Ballo I would recommend watching his latest work not the work from 3, 4, 6, 10 months ago but his recent style because that is a kid who has it all and is now getting used to his body size. It won't surprise me to see him hit 6'11 or 7'1 by his 18th b'day.

You should search a bit harder in the ballo conversations then
    I think you're making my point. If I have to search hard for someone comparing Ballo to Zion, then it is not a prevalent sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Ballo is no Zion. They are two totally different players. Ballo instead reminds me of a cross between Shaq at 16 and Stanley Roberts at 16 when Dale first brought them to campus. He has Shaq's skinny yet muscular physique and Stanley's refined game. Starting college at 16 is going to be a bit of a challenge which is why I have maintained that he will redshirt next year but if he doesn't he is still one of the best players in the country in this class. Next year he would have been a top 5-10 recruit. As for your analysis on Ballo I would recommend watching his latest work not the work from 3, 4, 6, 10 months ago but his recent style because that is a kid who has it all and is now getting used to his body size. It won't surprise me to see him hit 6'11 or 7'1 by his 18th b'day.
    Do you have recent videos you can share with us?

Smile ESPN gets its act together...

...finally adds Ballo to the Zags's 2019 recruit list. (Doesn't give him, as with fellow international Arlauskas, the "star treatment" though.)

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...nzaga-bulldogs

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    ...finally adds Ballo to the Zags's 2019 recruit list. (Doesn't give him, as with fellow international Arlauskas, the "star treatment" though.)

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...nzaga-bulldogs

:]

Honestly! It’s to much work to keep up with the constant flow of disappointments from ESPN. They are so lazy. Next year when they finally figure it out, will they be smug like they knew all along or will they be shocked that GU got such a great player (again)?

Big O is answering questions on his Instagram account now. Some are from Zag fans.
    He says he’s 100% a Zag.
    His preferred nickname is Big O.

https://www.instagram.com/oumarballo11/?hl=en
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Best Centre: Oumar Ballo

Ballo was a beast at camp on day one. He is easily the most powerful among the bigs and knows how to throw his weight around in the paint.

As his body continues to dice up, he’ll have more flow and be able to move better in transition. As of right now, he is a half court guy that can seal and receive over the shoulder with an ability to finish with authority around the rim. Since we’re in Charlotte I’ll give a throw back comparison which actually suits Ballo from the Charlotte Hornets.

He has a Larry Johnson type of projection once he’s in League shape physically.

http://northpolehoops.com/2019/02/15...n-oumar-ballo/

Jonathan Givony

Verified account

@DraftExpress
    37s38 seconds ago
    More
    Super competitive game between the NBA Academy Africa and Latin America. Ton of size and length on the floor. Nice showing for Gonzaga bound Oumar Ballo. Africa has made huge strides since I last saw them in December. Couple of their guys really helping themselves college wise.

Travis Branham

@TravisBranham_
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Very solid game for #Gonzaga commit Oumar Ballo. Best I’ve seen him play all year. Showing good hands, improving his conditioning and skillset. Hit a post-fade and a catch and shoot 3.

I love Ballo, but he isn't Zion. He is more strong than athletic. He has good length and good hands and his shot has come a long ways. He is not a leaper nor does he have amazing agility. He will be a great bully center in college basketball. I imagine him as a cross between later stages Rob and Padgett for Louiville back in the day.

Travis Branham

@TravisBranham_
    Follow Follow @TravisBranham_
    More Travis Branham Retweeted Travis Branham
    Easily the best I’ve seen 2019 #Gonzaga bound Oumar Ballo play. Carving out all kinds of space in the post, rebounding and really adding to his post moves. Very confident and aggressive today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I love Ballo, but he isn't Zion. He is more strong than athletic. He has good length and good hands and his shot has come a long ways. He is not a leaper nor does he have amazing agility. He will be a great bully center in college basketball. I imagine him as a cross between later stages Rob and Padgett for Louiville back in the day.
    I don’t think most people are expecting Zion. I’d be blown away if we could get freshman year Domas out of him with less skill and more power... but I’m confident that’s way optimistic.

Late stages rob isn’t bad, per se, but hoping his ceiling is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    who the heck is expecting him to be Zion-esque?? Who ever is needs to take a seat and relax... Love me some Ballo but I'm just expecting a more athletic Karno with the ceiling to be an even more dominate big for us

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I will defer to you caldwellzag, as I should. That said, I have a sneaking feeling that Ballo might be a more impactful freshman that Rui was.

I think this'll happen even if Ballo is behind where Rui was athletically.

Rui's first year had him behind 2 current NBA players, as well as Tillie and senior Karnowski.

Rui also didn't speak a lick of English.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

Rui also didn't speak a lick of English.

Does Ballo?

I've seen him interviewed in French. Anyone know how his English is?
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Does Ballo?

I've seen him interviewed in French. Anyone know how his English is?
    I think Iíve seen an interview with him in English and if I recall it sounded quiet fluent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    I think Iíve seen an interview with him in English and if I recall it sounded quiet fluent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes Ballo speaks English. Glad to hear that his ankle is doing much better after he injured it earlier this year. This kid really reminds me of a 17 year old Shaq when he first stepped foot on campus at LSU after arriving from the air base in Germany. He is going to be a beast.

He speaks English just fine and is at a basketball academy where he is already learning the finer points of the game. I think he will have a similar impact to Karno in his freshman year. PK showed a ton of promise with his patience and presence but couldnt hold onto the ball for anything, which was ok, because it gave him game/learning minutes and he was playing behind a couple good players. Ballo will be similar in that respect that it doesnt all hinge on him to be THE center, but when he does get in the game, he should be showing pretty dang well.

Thank you 2012, bbz & hooter.
    We didn't want the guy anyway.