Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 - Ballo - Committed

I’m excited to see his rim protection and curious about how fast he can the length of the court in a GU gam

A couple of those blocks in the NBA Academy game looked like lightning strikes.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    if anyone wanted to see more ballo (and honestly, who doesn't?), i found this in a link from smc boards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWjvyG70rI.

it's ballo's NBA academy team vs an american prep school. apparently smc has been linked with vescovi (mentioned on this forum previously). anyway, the video is extended full-game highlights (and therefore doesn't revolve around a single player/team), but ballo shows up a lot, particularly in the 2nd half.
    Just as he showed at FIBA, Ballo is a very solid passer out of the post, vs double teams, & when the play isnt there; however, Ballo so big he should sometimes attempt this shots under the hoop to draw the foul, put pressure on their bigs.

Also, has a really nice, natural touch, and excellent finisher. He has numerous and-1's at FIBA given his ability to put the ball in the hoop at weird angles or through contact.

Needs to work on his speed and conditioning yet so do 99.9% of young bigs.

He upside is through the clouds.

Release the Beast We are ready for Ballo.

Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    ·
    1h
    Corey Kispert: "Oumar Ballo is a mountain of a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    ·
    1h
    Corey Kispert: "Oumar Ballo is a mountain of a man."
    Who's barely old enough to see R movies in theaters!

Seriously, even if they lied about his age by a year (common in baseball) he'd still be at the very young end for college freshmen. Assuming his given DOB is accurate, he'd be a very young 12th grader in high school.

I'm hearing Ballo may not be eligible this season and will red-shirt...curious, what are the problems of him becoming eligible? Did he accept money he shouldn't have? Does any of this have to do with his transcripts? Is it because he is so young?

Does anyone have any accurate info???

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I'm hearing Ballo may not be eligible this season and will red-shirt...curious, what are the problems of him becoming eligible? Did he accept money he shouldn't have? Does any of this have to do with his transcripts? Is it because he is so young?

Issues involve transcripts and his educational records.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    He needs to retain counsel and sue the NCAA to get this process fast tracked

if he is not eligible he will not redshirt. He will simply be a student attending school that practices with the team. The year would not count towards his eligibility disappointing but not end all be all
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Release the Beast We are ready for Ballo.
    please
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Who are you hearing this from? Last I heard was that the athletic department felt it would get approved albeit they didn't have a definitive timeline. I'm NOT questioning your accuracy, i was just wondering what the source was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    if he is not eligible he will not redshirt. He will simply be a student attending school that practices with the team. The year would not count towards his eligibility disappointing but not end all be all
    Will he be on scholarship this year? Or does he pay his way this year? If he is on scholarship, how would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    If he is ineligible why would he pay for school to still have 4 years of eligibility left when he can redshirt under scholarship and still have 4 years of eligibility left?

i cannot remember the exact name but I think it was Prop-48, where a freshman could be under scholarship but couldn’t play his first year.

i cannot remember the exact name but I think it was Prop-48, where a freshman could be under scholarship but couldn’t play his first year.
    Would that be considered a redshirt year or could that player technically be on scholarship for 6 years? 1st year Prop-48. 2nd year redshirt, 3-6 years playing. I'm not saying Ballo will be at Gonzaga for a long period of time, I am just asking a general question about the possibility of a player being on scholarship for 6 seasons with this prop-48.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Would that be considered a redshirt year or could that player technically be on scholarship for 6 years? 1st year Prop-48. 2nd year redshirt, 3-6 years playing. I'm not saying Ballo will be at Gonzaga for a long period of time, I am just asking a general question about the possibility of a player being on scholarship for 6 seasons with this prop-48.

Unless things have changed, you only get 5 years to complete four years of playing EXCEPT under unusual heath issues where the NCAA gives a waiver.

Unless things have changed, you only get 5 years to complete four years of playing EXCEPT under unusual heath issues where the NCAA gives a waiver.
    Grant Gibbs for example. So, if Ballo is ineligible for this season. It will be a redshirt season with 4 years to play.

True, I was asking if Prop-48 changed anything.

This must be from his schooling in Mali. It would be pretty laughable if his ineligibility stems from his senior year at the academy setup by the NBA to prep kids for college and beyond.

Yes, four years remaining...Prop 48 just means the player had to sit out his first year.

Semi serious. If Ballo doesn’t count as college ready could he go to Prep and play there this year? He’s the right age for HS.
    Would be a lot of wow in the GSL.

- I think all the details as to law, redshirts, years of eligibility and tuition and prep school, is all beside the point.
    - ballo is not going to be in a zags uniform for 3 or 4 years, just not going to happen.
    - the plan and most likely reality coming into this season was he did not want to redshirt, wanted to get his feet wet with playing time this year and then have a second season before being eligible to turn pro.
    - I hope he is able to play this year, be it soon or at semester break. but if not this year he will get a good education in class, good coaching and good practice against an elite group of teammates.
    - and then next year we will unleash the beast and enjoy what most believe will be a very exciting year with him on the court.....before he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    This must be from his schooling in Mali. It would be pretty laughable if his ineligibility stems from his senior year at the academy setup by the NBA to prep kids for college and beyond.
    From what I heard you are correct.

From what I heard you are correct.
    And let me tell you, dealing with the NCAA on some of these things can be a nightmare. They'll find the smallest things to nitpick.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

If the NCAA rules him ineligible, could a good performance in the classrooms at GU clear him to play 2nd semester? Sorry if this question has already been discussed.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!