Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2019 - Ballo - Committed

Is he our Zion?

"Ballo, who turns 17 years old on July 13"

Smile That was really fun,...

...Ballo mentioning his Zags international teammates. Calls for root beers all around.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Man I feel sorry for whoever Ballo is backing down in the post!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Nice article. Thanks Zd.
    Not even 17 yet. Wow. I think we'll need to be patient with this guy, but he could be special.

He’s showing an awful lot of maturity for someone so young. I follow him on Instagram and I’m impressed by his enthusiastic pride about being a Zag and the gracious support he shows other players. There is nothing about Oumar that seems self-centered or petty, but clearly Oumar has ambition and a sense of what his future could be given that he works towards it. I believe he may have more potential than any GU player since Stockton, but did anyone predict Stockton’s success? Anyway, my eyes will be riveted on Oumar Ballo for quite some time.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Plus Ballo is younger, is an international player and we don’t have much idea about his ceiling yet. My guess is that his ceiling is very high because he has tremendous heart, is already trying to be a great teammate, shows a lot of pride in being a Zag, works very hard and has improved a lot this year.
    Clearly Ballo hit the genetic lotto! Not many players could ever have his size or arm lengh, those are things you can't teach. Not a high flyer but seems to have good vision and good body control that will help with his already decent speed and footwork for a big.With his body control & coordination he should be able to develop a consistent mid range game. More importantly for him to get playing time he needs to use that vision on defense to switch and block passing lanes and with his wingspan he has a real head start. On offense he clearly has good hands and with that wingspan if he can continue to develop his passing skills WOW! If he can't pass like other GU bigs he won't play much regardless of his NBA upside. That was the special thing about BC, very good passer in traffic with elite speed. (I realize Ballo and Clarke have a totally different skill set). If Ballo learns a couple of the tricks that are up Timme's sleeve, Watch Out!

Lots to be excited about w Ballo. All of the above + imagine him after a year of lifting weights w Coach Knight’s guidance and practicing vs bigs like Tillie, Petrusev, Timme and Zakharov.

After watching him w U19 Mali squad this summer, I retract my earlier post suggesting he RS. Dude is a beast and ready to contribute this season. Petrusev and Ballo holding down the 5 spot allows Tillie and Timme to play at their natural PF spot. Wish Zakharov was playing in U19’s so we could see him this summer too. Wonder if he is a RS candidate alongside Arlauskas? Just don’t see meaningful minutes for those two this season:

Woolridge / Ravet
    Gilder / Ayayi
    Kispert / Watson
    Tillie / Timme
    Petrusev / Ballo
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Saw this video was posted yesterday and didn’t see it posted here yet. Some great highlights from the FIBA U19 World Championships.

https://youtu.be/IauQKHii2WE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default 2019 - Ballo - Committed

Holy cow! He is so much better than he was less than a year ago. I thought he’d get some minutes this year but not a ton. I believe I was way off on that. To me, barring injury, Zhakarov isn’t going to see much run. Ballo is going to get 15-20 minutes in combination with Tillie, Petrusev, and Timme at the 4/5 spots taking up all available minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Holy cow! He is so much better than he was less than a year ago. I thought he’d get some minutes this year but not a ton. I believe I was way off on that. To me, barring injury, Zhakarov isn’t going to see much run. Ballo is going to get 15-20 minutes in combination with Tillie, Petrusev, and Timme at the 4/5 spots taking up all available minutes

Ballo was also injured a year ago which is why those videos you saw were not indicative of how good a player he actually is. He has really started to fill out at now 17 (Happy B'day Oumar!) as he has gained almost 15 pounds of muscle since early 2018. I'll just point this out because I've said he reminds me of Shaq before he played at LSU. He was also 6'10 but 260 at the end of his senior year in high school. There are a lot of similarities right now in their game and size so it will be really fun to watch him suit up for the Zags next year.

Ballo turned 17 yesterday.

FWIW, I grew around 2-3" b/w age 17 & 18.

Theoretically, he could still be growing, and he is at least 6'9" now...

If given the opportunity, he could absolutely wreck the WCC.

"When given the opportunity, he will absolutely wreck the WCC."

Fixed the spelling errors.........

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    "When given the opportunity, he will absolutely wreck the WCC."

Fixed the spelling errors.........
    Just wait till he gets to work on his low post game with our coaches. Ballo is still pretty raw, but man, what potential. He's going to suffer a ton of fouls both taken and given not to mention all the traveling calls, but come year two..... loooook out. He's going to wreck the WCC and beyond. Keep working young fella.

I have a feeling, no fact just a feeling that Ballo is going to be much better than most people think. With all that size, athletic talent, and already having some offensive skills, and a nose for rebounding, all he needs is someone to get him the ball in the right spot. He is going to be a load. With 2 senior guards I am sure that they can get him the ball at the right time better than his Mali teammates. This will make him not look not as raw as some tend to think he looks. With him and Tillie on the boards, Timme with all those post moves, and whatever Watson brings, we should be set up front. We also have shooters on the wings in Kispert Gilder, and hopefully Rivert, and slashers in the guy from North Texas, and hopefully Ayaye. On paper we should be a load for anyone we play. We have all this and I forgot all about Petroshev, who has more offensive skills than all the other guys. Man I hope there are enough minutes to go around without hurting team chemistry. Just my opinion, what you other guys think ?

I think GU should stock up on extra backboards.

Fouls and (hopefully not) playing in the system will be all that holds him back for a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I have a feeling, no fact just a feeling that Ballo is going to be much better than most people think. With all that size, athletic talent, and already having some offensive skills, and a nose for rebounding, all he needs is someone to get him the ball in the right spot. He is going to be a load. With 2 senior guards I am sure that they can get him the ball at the right time better than his Mali teammates. This will make him not look not as raw as some tend to think he looks. With him and Tillie on the boards, Timme with all those post moves, and whatever Watson brings, we should be set up front. We also have shooters on the wings in Kispert Gilder, and hopefully Rivert, and slashers in the guy from North Texas, and hopefully Ayaye. On paper we should be a load for anyone we play. We have all this and I forgot all about Petroshev, who has more offensive skills than all the other guys. Man I hope there are enough minutes to go around without hurting team chemistry. Just my opinion, what you other guys think ?
    A lot of mouths to feed. And keep full.

With most having NBA aspirations early as possible.

Different times/era.

Will be tough to keep all happy as all have said the expect to play, and make an impact

Only interview I've seen with realistic expectations is Ravet, everyone else wants to be the next big thing.

Good problem to have yet will still be a problem to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I've said this before...Ballo is going to be the best post player when it is all said and done...all the physical traits and just needs to work to maximize his God given gifts...just stay healthy!

- I have heard/read both that ballo is and is not eligible for the nba draft after his sophomore year.
    - after his sophomore year and about a month before the nba draft he is going to be 18 yrs and 11 months old. can an 18 yr old be eligible for the draft?

- if someone is in the know on this point and can sight nba rules, I'd appreciate it.
    - I'm greedy and want to know how many years I can enjoy this young man in a zag uniform, 2 or 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - I have heard/read both that ballo is and is not eligible for the nba draft after his sophomore year.
    - after his sophomore year and about a month before the nba draft he is going to be 18 yrs and 11 months old. can an 18 yr old be eligible for the draft?

- if someone is in the know on this point and can sight nba rules, I'd appreciate it.
    - I'm greedy and want to know how many years I can enjoy this young man in a zag uniform, 2 or 3 years?
    You must have completed 1 yr of college (or I guess overseas pro) and you must be 19 at some point during the calendar year of the draft. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elig..._the_NBA_draft

I believe Ballo just turned 17. Next summer (2020) he will turn 18. The summer after that (2021) he will turn 19 and be draft eligible, (18yrs old during summertime and on draft day, 19 during fall 2021as part of the calendar year).

So I think 2 yr minimum is it.

- thx ltown
    - what you explain makes sense, issue essentially turns on fact ballo will be 19 in that calendar year, while not 19 at the time of the draft.
    - okay, we would all have liked 3 yrs, but can still get excited about 2 years.